How we choose weekly free champions

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Fancy Oaf

12-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinfulHope View Post
this is the only thing that i personally see as the only problem...

imo i think New/Upcoming Champs should always be free the week they are released
for the simple reason of balance...

i mean think about it, lets say udyr wasn't free the week he was released that means only a few who either had extra IP and or bought him with RP would have played him, and thus

only a small portion of the community would have been able to give feed back on him...

cause i mean lets face it only reason udyr was even brought up was because he was free the week he was released and a ton of players played him and gave the feedback on him,

just my 2 cents on the subject =p
I appreciate your two cents, but remember, Riot needs to make money. All the updates and servers cost money to upkeep, and how do they make that money? They make it through new champions and skins. If the champion was free to play on the first week, they wouldn't make near as much money, which means they wouldn't be able to afford as many updates and wouldn't be able to make as many champions and skins. So think of it as a blessing that it takes a few weeks before new champions go on free rotation, those few weeks are funding the best free game on the internet.

And all you people who are always hating on riot, go find a different game. If you don't like it, don't pay it. They are letting you play for free, so there is really no reason you should be complaining. It's not like you lost a bunch of money on it (assuming that if you hate it so much you aren't throwing your cash into skins and champions).

garrett25

12-11-2013

[QUOTE=RiotChris;509374]From time to time we get questions on how we chose weekly free champions. We rotate the Champions to keep the game fresh for those that haven't unlocked all the Champions.

Here is how we choose which ones are free:

Champion Rotation Goals
1) Give new players some simple Champions to play
2) Provide a balance of types of Champions for new players
-- This allows new players to make balanced teams
3) Allow players to preview all Champions eventually

Given these goals we look at player feedback, and decide which Champions should be free next week that allow us to meet these goals.

What If we could Vote on who would be free on just one or two, but the rest where to fit the Meta.

iAmB3EAST

12-11-2013

Riot u truly do a good job making us happy but i would recommend to make sure 1 champion isnt repeating, I get that ur trying to "Provide a balance of types of Champions for new players", but for some people at a higher level they are using that 1 champion that dominates anyone who comes his/her way. Example Lux comes out week 1 and then comes out in week 3. Most people hate when they have a bad week and they stop playin for a while, then 2 weeks after that same champion that was gettin pentas is free and they have another bad week

Killerthrash

12-11-2013

Pls Riot make hecarim free to play. He hasn't been free to play in all the time I've had the game. (Early June)

Shadowlost3

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-12-2013

[QUOTE=RiotChris;509374] If there are more frequently asked questions, I'll post the answers here.

My question is since you want to balance the game and make more attempts at giving a wider variety of champions to play each week to new members and those of us in the community that haven't played characters that were never unlocked:

1) Why do you not implement a protocol for players to represent champions that have not been unlocked by individual accounts giving 8 random champs that haven't been unlocked a free week? If you don't understand what I mean basically let each account dictate the pool of champs selected for the free week from the individual accounts not bought list.

2) Maybe an easier short term solution would be to increase the champion select pool from 8 to 16 considering you have double+ the amount of champions that you started this game with? Just a thought that with a bigger champion pool it would only serve purpose to increase the sample size... Why hasn't this been done yet? Been playing this game for 3+ years and still only 8 free champs? Next stop 10,000 champs and only 8 to play. Grats newbie.

Food for thought with your infinite wisdom Riot... Not.

On second thought maybe balance your game and work on more lag issues instead of champion pool. Your right my bad.

Stark6000

12-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy Oaf View Post
I appreciate your two cents, but remember, Riot needs to make money. All the updates and servers cost money to upkeep, and how do they make that money? They make it through new champions and skins. If the champion was free to play on the first week, they wouldn't make near as much money, which means they wouldn't be able to afford as many updates and wouldn't be able to make as many champions and skins. So think of it as a blessing that it takes a few weeks before new champions go on free rotation, those few weeks are funding the best free game on the internet.
And all you people who are always hating on riot, go find a different game. If you don't like it, don't pay it. They are letting you play for free, so there is really no reason you should be complaining. It's not like you lost a bunch of money on it (assuming that if you hate it so much you aren't throwing your cash into skins and champions).

dude

dude

they make a ton of ****ing money. I don't care about champ rotation, but if you can't see how much focus has shifted from quality to profit you probably work for them.

theBlee

12-14-2013

Riot Please make Zed Free!

blackwolf108

12-15-2013

hi roit, that would b nice if xerath or gangplank was on rotation. that's all

deliwhobob

12-16-2013

hi riot, can you please make kha'zix free to play. My friends are telling me he is good but i dont hae enough IP to get him and i want to see if i can play him well. thx

Kniv Storm

12-16-2013

Why dont we have a free Yorick. This specimen is dead, but his ult shall save him!