How we choose weekly free champions

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

kooilio

11-18-2013

I think it'd be really cool to try newest champs and switch going into older ones as we go, like I really liked when lucian was available the week he was released so you could try him before buying him.

ButtKnocker

11-18-2013

I think it would be cool if the servers worked.

REva7057

11-18-2013

I would like to see the rotations for reasonable, as you can tell a lot of people complain about 450 champs, I think they should be removed from rotations permanently and focus on higher priced champs( 3150 priced champs and up) as those are the hard one to reach, as I personally find then more fun. I like League and their champion rotations, but it frustrates me seeing 450 and 1350 priced champs. Thank you for reading this and *hopefully* taking feedback from it!

Scarlet Flame26

11-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotChris View Post
From time to time we get questions on how we chose weekly free champions. We rotate the Champions to keep the game fresh for those that haven't unlocked all the Champions.

Here is how we choose which ones are free:

Champion Rotation Goals
1) Give new players some simple Champions to play
2) Provide a balance of types of Champions for new players
-- This allows new players to make balanced teams
3) Allow players to preview all Champions eventually

Given these goals we look at player feedback, and decide which Champions should be free next week that allow us to meet these goals.

-------------------

Frequently Asked Questions:
Q Will new Champions always be free the first week?
A No, we will debut Champions that need to be unlocked, but eventually they will be free (see goal 3).

Q Will some Champions be free more often than others?
A Yes, because some Champions are simpler to play that others, and our first goal with the free Champion rotation is to allow new players simple Champions to try for their first games.

Q I don't think Alistar is a Tank
A Okay - not a question, but yes, thanks to our item system, Champions can be built different ways. That means many Champions can be played as different types (for example, as a Tank or Melee DPS). To keep things simple, we list only one type for each Champion in our statistics, but many of them can be played differently than the type we list.

Q Do the Champions rotate on the same day every week?
A No. We often synch the Champion rotation with the new content and patches we are releasing. Because we won't release the patches until they are done, this means they sometimes don't fall on the same day each week. This leads us to rotate our Champions on different days of the week to try and get even amounts of time between Champion rotations. This is also why we don't announce the exact date of the rotation.

I'll link to this post from the Champion rotation announcements to answer the questions that keep coming up. If there are more frequently asked questions, I'll post the answers here.

Thanks for all the requests for free Champions!

- RiotChris
in this post you said we take community requests into account what about everyone asking for yorick alot of people want to try him :/ ?

Edzter

11-18-2013

time to change this system

like, dont put 450IP champs on free weeks anymore plz?

MaddaFakka32

11-18-2013

Well , mister Chris , can i have the response on why does Yorick never occur in any free weeks? Thank you !

Scarlet Flame26

11-19-2013

in theyre post they say they take community requests into account how could that be true if everyone has been asking for yorick forever no offense it jusr makes no sense to me ? i understand yorick isnt simple to play but still 1 slot in it doesnt mean low lvls are REQUIRED to play him?

BDVandtheGTLE

11-19-2013

I've never seen Urgot or Yorick free to play, is it because they have been nerfed so bad? that being said, I've seen people who played as yorick and poppy and played amazing, but I never see them F2P except maybe recently Yorick. Also what would it take to get other champions F2P for trying out characters that aren't usually used? Would Season 4 try to take care of that?

iShankChildren

11-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotChris View Post
What pattern would you like to see? We're always open to constructive feedback.

We listen to player feedback on Champions to make free, and we introduce new Champions on a regular basis. Those two factors make it hard to have a set rotation that repeats every 8 weeks or so (which is I assume what you're implying about a pattern).

- RiotChris
I personally think that a good idea for selecting free week champions would be to pick them in a way that some champions are rarely played, some are commonly played and others are played more then avergae

Herr VonClaussen

11-19-2013

i havent seen Rengar or Kassidin free in a while. Please note that I dont always pay attention to the free champs.