How we choose weekly free champions

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

The Lexer

10-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSlimeTV View Post
I would like to see shaco rotated in please. I am fairly new have been playing for a few months and haven't tried him yet.
Id like Shaco too. Care tho. Back when I was lvl 3 Shaco was completely unbeatable. Maybe just my luck tho

Also would like Brand, Malz, or Swain. I know they are on fairly often but I don't know who to get

LuV2SkRaTcH

10-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinfulHope View Post
this is the only thing that i personally see as the only problem...

imo i think New/Upcoming Champs should always be free the week they are released
for the simple reason of balance...

i mean think about it, lets say udyr wasn't free the week he was released that means only a few who either had extra IP and or bought him with RP would have played him, and thus

only a small portion of the community would have been able to give feed back on him...

cause i mean lets face it only reason udyr was even brought up was because he was free the week he was released and a ton of players played him and gave the feedback on him,

just my 2 cents on the subject =p
i think it would kind of be unfair if new champs would be free the same week it's released, because the people who do buy the champs would have a harder time getting to play them even if they've spent money/ip on that champ.

SAS amir

10-29-2013

Rengar? Again?

casper thecaster

10-30-2013

thanks for the info

WoLFGaRN

10-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotChris View Post
From time to time we get questions on how we chose weekly free champions. We rotate the Champions to keep the game fresh for those that haven't unlocked all the Champions.

Here is how we choose which ones are free:

Champion Rotation Goals
1) Give new players some simple Champions to play
2) Provide a balance of types of Champions for new players
-- This allows new players to make balanced teams
3) Allow players to preview all Champions eventually

Given these goals we look at player feedback, and decide which Champions should be free next week that allow us to meet these goals.

-------------------

Frequently Asked Questions:
Q Will new Champions always be free the first week?
A No, we will debut Champions that need to be unlocked, but eventually they will be free (see goal 3).

Q Will some Champions be free more often than others?
A Yes, because some Champions are simpler to play that others, and our first goal with the free Champion rotation is to allow new players simple Champions to try for their first games.

Q I don't think Alistar is a Tank
A Okay - not a question, but yes, thanks to our item system, Champions can be built different ways. That means many Champions can be played as different types (for example, as a Tank or Melee DPS). To keep things simple, we list only one type for each Champion in our statistics, but many of them can be played differently than the type we list.

Q Do the Champions rotate on the same day every week?
A No. We often synch the Champion rotation with the new content and patches we are releasing. Because we won't release the patches until they are done, this means they sometimes don't fall on the same day each week. This leads us to rotate our Champions on different days of the week to try and get even amounts of time between Champion rotations. This is also why we don't announce the exact date of the rotation.

I'll link to this post from the Champion rotation announcements to answer the questions that keep coming up. If there are more frequently asked questions, I'll post the answers here.

Thanks for all the requests for free Champions!

- RiotChris
A better question is how can I kidnap you and hold you for ransom so I can demand that avatar as a payment?

damb1t

11-03-2013

I think it's funny how big of a deal people make about what champs are free all the time. It really should be a pretty even rotation, given the fact that you can buy champions doesn't it make sense to try to let everyone see every champ as quickly as possible? I still have yet to play with Riven who I have been dying to play with! She was on the free list a couple months ago but I was still a noob and didn't know how sick she was! I'd love to see her on this next rotation!

Ambadasdor

11-03-2013

I would love to see Zac.

JeebusCrispmas

11-03-2013

You have no idea how badly I want to buy Urgot right now... I'm so darn curious about what he's like to play and I've done lots of research on his style, but I'm afraid that if I buy him, he'll instantly show up on the free roster. Argh, but I don't wanna wait until Tuesday to buy hiiiiim.

Sona OP

11-04-2013

Jayce, Zac and Swain, please!!

tuner ol

11-04-2013

could we plz get ahri fir free sometime?
really want to try her out