How we choose weekly free champions

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Frogsforpj

09-28-2013

When is Hecarim or Jarvan IV going to be free, I almost NEVER see those 2 amazing junglers free. I so want to try them. They're only free like 2 or 3 times a year.. Saddens me

tallguySUPERBOSS

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-29-2013

Next week (the week after the world finals), the free champions should be ones that were used in the finals. That would be awesome.

NuttyWarfare

09-30-2013

how come yorick has never been free since i started playing 5 months ago

AllEyesOnUs3r

09-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotChris View Post
From time to time we get questions on how we chose weekly free champions. We rotate the Champions to keep the game fresh for those that haven't unlocked all the Champions.

Here is how we choose which ones are free:

Champion Rotation Goals
1) Give new players some simple Champions to play
2) Provide a balance of types of Champions for new players
-- This allows new players to make balanced teams
3) Allow players to preview all Champions eventually

Given these goals we look at player feedback, and decide which Champions should be free next week that allow us to meet these goals.

-------------------

Frequently Asked Questions:
Q Will new Champions always be free the first week?
A No, we will debut Champions that need to be unlocked, but eventually they will be free (see goal 3).

Q Will some Champions be free more often than others?
A Yes, because some Champions are simpler to play that others, and our first goal with the free Champion rotation is to allow new players simple Champions to try for their first games.

Q I don't think Alistar is a Tank
A Okay - not a question, but yes, thanks to our item system, Champions can be built different ways. That means many Champions can be played as different types (for example, as a Tank or Melee DPS). To keep things simple, we list only one type for each Champion in our statistics, but many of them can be played differently than the type we list.

Q Do the Champions rotate on the same day every week?
A No. We often synch the Champion rotation with the new content and patches we are releasing. Because we won't release the patches until they are done, this means they sometimes don't fall on the same day each week. This leads us to rotate our Champions on different days of the week to try and get even amounts of time between Champion rotations. This is also why we don't announce the exact date of the rotation.

I'll link to this post from the Champion rotation announcements to answer the questions that keep coming up. If there are more frequently asked questions, I'll post the answers here.

Thanks for all the requests for free Champions!

- RiotChris
damn that's a lot of upvote...i want that much Upvotes someday :I

coeriv

09-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotChris View Post
Q I don't think Alistar is a Tank
A Okay - not a question, but yes, thanks to our item system, Champions can be built different ways. [ Except supports, we ****ing hate supports so we made sure to nerf them so hard they can't even be played in the role they were made for. That means many Champions can be played as different types (for example, as a Tank or Melee DPS, or support, but never a support as a tank, melee or dps.). To keep things simple, we list only one type for each Champion in our statistics, but many of them can be played differently than the type we list.

- RiotChris

Fixed that for you.

zeldacat

09-30-2013

for next weeks rotation can u have ahri the nine tailed fox plz

Wiredmana

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-01-2013

This week seems incredibly hard to play for beginners. I'm currently trying to introduce a few players to the game, but feel they'll give up if they are stuck with squishy, high positioning, exceptionally quick moving(Such as dashes or backwards dashes) or difficult champions to start out with. I feel that many players that start out with difficult champions for "free week" are going to feel too confused/lost to continue playing and get better. Especially with the number of twinks these days.

While I do enjoy that we have rotating champions and it encourages players to purchase when the week is over; I still feel as some of the original 40 cheap (260RP/450IP) and easier to play champions should remain static over these changing weeks. I suggest no more than 3-5 as I understand the need to collect a profit and business smarts.

Those that are brand new aren't even sure of why the champion selection changed, nevermind the various mechanics and abilities in the game. I believe having a static champion(playing the same champion) through-out the weeks when the player is just learning the mechanics of the game would help significantly ease the learning curve and encourage more people to keep playing once they try League of Legends.

Pew Pew Pikachu

10-01-2013

I've been wanting to try out Syndra for a while

The Lexer

10-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllEyesOnUs3r View Post
damn that's a lot of upvote...i want that much Upvotes someday :I
more upvotes than the rammus ok thread

CrytoCloud

10-01-2013

Orianna next week please? I've been dying to try her since I started.