How we choose weekly free champions

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

zachattack787

09-23-2013

cool

Hahnzy

09-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotChris View Post
What pattern would you like to see? We're always open to constructive feedback.

We listen to player feedback on Champions to make free, and we introduce new Champions on a regular basis. Those two factors make it hard to have a set rotation that repeats every 8 weeks or so (which is I assume what you're implying about a pattern).

- RiotChris
I noticed on this weeks rotation (9/23/2013) that Master Yi is free. Now, personal feelings about Yi aside, I saw that there were a few champions in the rotation have have crowd control abilities. Ryze with his snare for example. I was very pleased to see that on a week the Yi is free so are many CC ability champions. This being because, without any crowd control the counter Master Yi, the game is (most of the time, from my experience, lost). This often leads to game frustration, and many players breaking the CoC because they can't hold it in. But I digress, was this planned that way or just happened to be? I believe things like this should be planned, and taken into effect when champions are selected for the rotation. For example; whenever Yi is in the rotation so are CC ability champions, or when a heavy mage like Xerath is in rotation then so is Silence ability champions. With 10 each week you can easily work out 5 sets of "balanced" picks.

Hasan11

09-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahnzy View Post
I noticed on this weeks rotation (9/23/2013) that Master Yi is free. Now, personal feelings about Yi aside, I saw that there were a few champions in the rotation have have crowd control abilities. Ryze with his snare for example. I was very pleased to see that on a week the Yi is free so are many CC ability champions. This being because, without any crowd control the counter Master Yi, the game is (most of the time, from my experience, lost). This often leads to game frustration, and many players breaking the CoC because they can't hold it in. But I digress, was this planned that way or just happened to be? I believe things like this should be planned, and taken into effect when champions are selected for the rotation. For example; whenever Yi is in the rotation so are CC ability champions, or when a heavy mage like Xerath is in rotation then so is Silence ability champions. With 10 each week you can easily work out 5 sets of "balanced" picks.

whether yi is free or not, he's only 450 ip. Anyone can buy him.

its good that new players who want to try yi can find how just how hard CC can completely shut him down.

Lbflle

09-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbflle View Post
How do you get these "Free champions"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindler View Post
Once a week the free champions change

You can log in, view your summoner profile, and click on champions

Any champion with an exclamation point is free for the week.
After 3 years, I still haven't thanked you. Where are my manners?
Better late than never, so, thank you.

AloneInTheCrowd

09-24-2013

I'm offensive and I find this thread Bronze 5 .

Bilrach

09-24-2013

this weeks rotation spells out pure uncontrolled r a p e

Nellas

09-24-2013

I have a request, that I've been requesting for a while. PLEASE MAKE IRELIA FREE! I played her once when she was free, but that was a long time ago. I would like to have the chance again to see if I really want to buy her. Also, I think Lissandra was free a month ago, but it'd be cool if she was free again soon . AND, so many requests, but Hecarim would also be nice. I don't remember when he was free last, but I've missed so many opportunities for one reason or another. Thank you

Youseishi

09-25-2013

I would really like Kennen, Lee Sin, and Syndra to be free sometime soon please.

Dark Mage 123665

09-25-2013

Can Ezreal and Shaco be free next week? Please?

Criztov

Recruiter

09-26-2013

while it is nice that the easier champs are free to play more often for new players, It still feels like some of the other champions aren't free very often IE: Yorick, Lee sin, Syndra, Olaf, Vlad. Rengar was free two weeks in a row here lately.

Just my feelings as a player that likes to try a champion a few times before spending the IP/RP on them.