How we choose weekly free champions

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Weazyritzstrket

09-10-2013

double rengar op

Murderer Murder

Recruiter

09-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by xakannax View Post
I just want to say as a newer player(lvl 13) I really appreciate the hero rotation system. I have no idea what heros I want to buy until I play them (outside of unlocking all the 450s of course which I already did) and will probably never buy a hero over 1350 without trying it out first.

I was particularly pleased with last weeks rotation because you featured several 6300 heros like thresh and galeo which will be 1313213 games before I can reasonably afford. As a new player it's very hard for me to want to invest in any 6300 heros since I could easily unlock 4 1350s or 2 3150 and there are so many 6300s to choose from(I have no idea which ones I would like). Same applies for me buying riot points really, I have no reason to do it if I don't know that I like how a hero plays, so the more 6300s you preview, the more likely it is I will buy riot points to unlock them if I like them instead of trying to save 6300IP each time.

Feedback wise I would love to see 2 6300 heros and 4 3150/4800s in every rotation so newer people have an idea of what heros they really want to save up for or buy riot points to get (because its a long time to save 6300IP). I would also love to see you throw in 1 "complicated" hero every week so new players aren't constantly being spoon fed easy heros and have a chance to see what skill heros can do. There are plenty of new players that join with previous moba experience and enjoy figuring out heros that require skill. For example I loved playing thresh in the last rotation because he was the hero that needed the most skill and timing to be good with but when used right he became a beast that could carry games by saving allies and picking off enemies and I hated varus because he really took no skill whatsoever to use leaving me extremely bored whenever I played him.

-----
Completely unrelated note what makes a hero cost 3150 vs 6300? I really cant figure it out, I assume 6300 heros are better/stronger than the rest somehow but some of the lower priced heros are really good too.
That's under 1 IP per game, no way are you gonna have to play 1313213 games to afford thresh

ApolloXangel

09-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinfulHope View Post
this is the only thing that i personally see as the only problem...

imo i think New/Upcoming Champs should always be free the week they are released
for the simple reason of balance...

i mean think about it, lets say udyr wasn't free the week he was released that means only a few who either had extra IP and or bought him with RP would have played him, and thus

only a small portion of the community would have been able to give feed back on him...

cause i mean lets face it only reason udyr was even brought up was because he was free the week he was released and a ton of players played him and gave the feedback on him,

just my 2 cents on the subject =p

well, this is what the PBE is for, and also, riot is a company, trying to earn cash, if they have the new champ free the first week, half of the people who would otherwise buy him decide against it

Xzenowulf

Recruiter

09-11-2013

Quote:
Q Will new Champions always be free the first week?
A No, we will debut Champions that need to be unlocked, but eventually they will be free (see goal 3).
I do have a problem with this. I think that the first week should be free for a new champion (maybe even throw the new champion in outside of the normal rotation as to not interfere with the rotation). This would allow players to try him out during the bundle days to see if we want to buy the champion and skin pack released. I know there are several recent champions i'd probably have bought that way if i could have tried them out before buying.. but sense i had no way to see if i liked them, i waited till i could use ip instead of rp. (@Riot: this could be a money making idea, giving people more reasons to buy the rp rather than save for ip ^.- )

IVI

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Master Recruiter

09-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinfulHope View Post
this is the only thing that i personally see as the only problem...

imo i think New/Upcoming Champs should always be free the week they are released
for the simple reason of balance...

i mean think about it, lets say udyr wasn't free the week he was released that means only a few who either had extra IP and or bought him with RP would have played him, and thus

only a small portion of the community would have been able to give feed back on him...

cause i mean lets face it only reason udyr was even brought up was because he was free the week he was released and a ton of players played him and gave the feedback on him,

just my 2 cents on the subject =p
if new champs are free the first week then riot wouldnt get as much sales because some people won't like the champion they are trying

Littleboyj

09-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xzenowulf View Post
I do have a problem with this. I think that the first week should be free for a new champion (maybe even throw the new champion in outside of the normal rotation as to not interfere with the rotation). This would allow players to try him out during the bundle days to see if we want to buy the champion and skin pack released. I know there are several recent champions i'd probably have bought that way if i could have tried them out before buying.. but sense i had no way to see if i liked them, i waited till i could use ip instead of rp. (@Riot: this could be a money making idea, giving people more reasons to buy the rp rather than save for ip ^.- )
If they did that, then they would most likely lose sales. They dont want to let you play them immediately because so many people purchase the champion with RP on release thinking they will be OP/a toon they like. Its called a marketing strategy! Also, I sure as hell dont want every person on the face of the earth to have access to the new champs. Do you know how long Queues would take with all the dodges that would occur from fights??!?!?

MasterJasmine

09-11-2013

Good point.

icefire220

09-11-2013

can anyone explain to me the double rengar tho? riotchris maybe?

icefire220

09-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeomin View Post
league of legends should be the best game in the history of the universe!
I agree, but that isnt possible as dota has higher ratings, more people playing it, and the idea of not having to buy champs is how they get even more players from league. Wat im trying to say is, in my opinion that sounds true besides Dota/Dota 2, but other people may think league is the best game, while others rage out on first game and play some damn minecraft. see. not very easy to tell wat is the best game in the universe. because there is bs like opinions and (wats the word im thinking of) preferences.

killervonne

09-12-2013

reply reply reply reply reply reply reply reply reply reply reply reply reply reply reply reply reply reply reply reply reply reply reply reply reply reply reply reply reply reply reply reply reply reply reply reply reply reply reply reply reply reply reply reply reply reply reply reply reply reply reply reply reply reply reply reply reply reply reply reply reply reply reply reply reply reply reply reply reply reply reply reply
READ THIS SO COOL! LOL