How we choose weekly free champions

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ootsy1997

01-25-2011

heyy riot chris,

i've been playing for about 1 month and 2 weeks and i still havn't seen shaco, karhtus, leblanc, lux, corki, evelynn, irelia, mordekaiser, nasus, singed, tryndamere, sona, twitch and udyr in the free champion rotation yet i've seen heimerdinger in it twice in 3 weeks.
it just doesn't make sence to me. if it's possible i would like to see shaco and/or karthus in next weeks rotation.

ootsy1997

Compressicep

01-25-2011

Thanks for the information

Korruptt

01-25-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaldir View Post
I think it's too much focus on new heroes and too little focus on new maps.

Getting pretty tired of Summoner's Rift..
Yes i agree here, these 2 maps are getting quite very old, ive spent alot of my cash on rp i think theres plenty enough champions for the time being and would really really like to see some new maps, the same old map over and over is getting old pretty fast. (i think i said old enough :D)

Cheers, Korr.

DivineDrgn

01-25-2011

Im up to 59 champs with 2 maps makes me sad =( soon ill hit 60 champs but still have only 2 maps to play on lol im hoping that Riot will eventually makes some nice arranged teams maps like 2 v 2 and 4 v 4 for the middle and perhaps an 8 v 8 map for some crazy fun but ill settle for an 8 v 8 if i can only have one of those ^^

DivineOfNiyo

01-25-2011

hey can we delete rammus please when ever im in a game i get forced to move around with him and some how i die by him even if im using a MAGE SOME how 1vs1 and when i use a dps champ he just killed me in seconds really not fair for low levels like me

rofltehcat

01-25-2011

I guess that this was already suggested in this thread but could we maybe increase the number of free champions from 10 to 15 or so?
We now have many more champions than we had when the rotation system was introduced at the end of beta. The number went up from ~40 to currently 68. Because of this and because the rotations tend to overlap a little it can take very long to test certain champions. The proposed 15 champions would kind of match the increase in overall champions.

Your goals #1 and #2 are all about new players. So maybe make the 5 additional rotation slots unlock as you level up? That way you could also place "more difficult" champions into those 5 slots without confronting new players with a challenge that they maybe can't handle.

DEWD22

01-25-2011

That actually helps clarify things for me. It does make sense to have more user friendly champs since newer players do not have access to as many champions. I just wish that there was an open roster spot for a more "advanced" champion so people who have been playing for a while don't have to blindly buy a champion they really want to play without trying that champion out first.

For instance, twitch is probably not considered a beginner-friendly character, but I have been wanting to try him out for the past two months and haven't seen him in the rotation. I will probably end up making the IP investment, but I would prefer not to without having the opportunity to try him in the free rotation.

Anyway, just my thoughts. I realize free champions should probably prioritize newer players it makes sense....just really want to try Twitch.

masterojack

01-25-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotChris View Post

-------------------

Frequently Asked Questions:
Q Will new Champions always be free the first week?
A No, we will debut Champions that need to be unlocked, but eventually they will be free (see goal 3).

- RiotChris
I see this as a problem. They need to be free the week they're released, so we can give them a test run to see if we like them. I think it's unfair to expect us to spend money/IP on champs blindly, with no idea how they play, or what they're good at.
It's all well and good to have the champ spotlights, but it really doesn't show what they're like to actually play, due to the controlled environment the spotlights are run in. Also, ALL champs look good when Phreak plays them, or one of the other pros. When you finally get them in-game, and realize what they're actually like, it's too late. You've already spent $10/6300 IP.

I have a bunch of the newer champs, includding Irelia, Cass, Cait, Swain, Lux, LeBlanc, and Ren. And all but Lux sit on the sideline because the others are either underpowered, easily countered, or just not what they were made out to be. I mean honestly, when was the last time you saw Irelia, Cass, or LeBlanc in matchmaking beyond the first week they're out, and the weeks they're free? That's right, almost never. But I know all kinds of ppl have bought them. It works out great for Riot, but for the player, we could have used the money/IP to get better, well-known champs, but we were lured by the shiny new champ.

Mkay. that's enuff rant for now. I just hope this gives some food for thought

jasari

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-25-2011

thats why they are free two weeks after they come out
if they where free when they came out it would be even more of a scramble to play them
unless your really interested in a champion don't get them on release

Newbplayer2

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-25-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterojack View Post
I see this as a problem. They need to be free the week they're released, so we can give them a test run to see if we like them. I think it's unfair to expect us to spend money/IP on champs blindly, with no idea how they play, or what they're good at.
It's all well and good to have the champ spotlights, but it really doesn't show what they're like to actually play, due to the controlled environment the spotlights are run in. Also, ALL champs look good when Phreak plays them, or one of the other pros. When you finally get them in-game, and realize what they're actually like, it's too late. You've already spent $10/6300 IP.
If you look it through the business side they kinda want you to buy blindly [that is also why they make champ spotlight to preview the new character so basically its not that blindly].
1. Get the player interested in the character [Making the Champ preview not the spotlight but a post about the character]
2. Artwork
3. Champ Spotlight [A preview of how it looks in-game and its skills. Even helps you with the item build for beginners]
4. by the the time the champ is release people are interested
5. People buy it because they are interested and want to see if its a OP character = Profit for Riot - more profit
6. People hate the champ but they cant return it
or in your view:
4. by the time the champ is released people are interested
5. Play it as a Free Character
6. people hate it
7. Next week many people dont buy it because they hate it = Less Profit for Riot

Now in general which one would make more profit the first or the second.