How we choose weekly free champions

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dullahan Slayer

05-21-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotChris View Post
Good suggestions Giggz (and welcome to the US forums). However, some of the Champions have positive or negative synergies across types. For instance, if we made Twitch and Shaco free the same week, it would be stealth-city. Or what about Ryze, Morgana, Blitzcrank and Malphite - that would be stun-ville (but they're all different types). That could happen coincidentally if we used lists of types, so I like the personally-tweaked rotations rather than automatic (and then we can listen to player requests). It also ensures that we have enough easy Champions in the rotations - our #1 goal.

- RiotChris
Something I would like to suggest/add on to what Giggz stated. If the issue being is that there's a chance a combination such as Shaco and Twitch would happen, why not? It's a learning experience for all players, it teaches players ways of adapting to this particular situation.Lets say Ryze, Morgana, Blitzcrank and Malphite, are all free this week along with which ever champs are next in rotation; why not? This allows players to learn, it makes the game more difficult while fun; true some players may get frustrated because they're always being stunned, but, that just means you have to be more weary and be a bit more cautious of which strategies you should and shouldn't use against stunners. You may say "But, having so many champions with the same ability such as stunning would be unfair/boring." I'd disagree and tell you that because there's so many champs with stuns you have a larger variety of champs to choose from, maybe you like Tanks with stuns, maybe you like ADC's with stuns or maybe you prefer a Mage stunner; Not all players use the same champion when it comes to their abilities even though those abilities have the same results (ex: stunning the enemy) I personally have to say that even if you get a match up such as Shaco and Twitch, let it be, It's a learning experience for everyone. One last thing I'd like to say to emphasize why it would be better to have these kinds of match ups is this: In a ranked game (even normal) if Player A owns Shaco and Player B owns Twitch and they decide to use those champs in the same game, on the same team, then realistically speaking, why cant they be paired in the same champion rotation? If players can choose to have Twitch+Shaco on their team together why can't champion rotations be a bit more like that? True, Synergy plays a big role, BUT, every champion combination even if it's bad is still a possibility. I say let us, the players, learn and experience new ways of surviving out on the field of battle with unique champ combinations that are rarely or uncommonly thought of or used. It's better to try, fail and learn from that failure than it is to never have tried and never have gained knowledge or insight. I for one, as a commoner, strongly agree with a Champion rotation pattern.

On a side note as to what Giggz said about cycles, if the real worry is about having the same champions matched up because of cycle looping, My suggestion would be have a unique cycle pattern such as: 1 Tank champ skip the following champ or 2 in line and choose that one, for example: Champion Tank 1 & Champion Tank 4. As well as mixing up the pattern in that after all the champions have been cycled, instead of skipping 2, skip 3 or even 1 instead, you could even do this for each list of champions. Ex: Tank 1 & 2, Ranged 1 & 3, ADC 1&5, Support 3 & 6, etc. I think this is one way of getting all the champions out there for players to try out while providing unique, uncommon, and interesting match ups along with new ways of playing. (It may even lead to more solo que players actually interacting as a team to work together.)

If you see any flaws in this, please let me know and I'll surely find a solution.

~ Dullahan

LeonDawnblade

05-22-2013

There is a pattern to it. The new champ will be free the on the rotation after the rotation after it came out.

lllustration

05-22-2013

The new champions are put on free rotation 3 weeks after their release.

That's what been happening with Zac and Lissandra, from the when I've started to play anyways.

PerishD

05-23-2013

Next Free Champions should be:
Nidalee
J4
Lux
Kha'zix

(My opinion though)

P.S.
I posted this early because I would always forget about the champion rotations, and these champions here, I really want to try out

AvadaKedav

05-23-2013

Can u guys put Kha'zix on for free. I am very interested in going to buy him.

sambo2269

05-24-2013

is it just me or is miss fortune fee like twice a month

Sinumatic

05-25-2013

If you try a new champ in the regular playlist and do bad everyone wants to report you as a feeder ... therefore I don't play the free champs much and would rather not play A.I. Why not make a playlist for the free rotation so it would level the playing field for most of the people trying champs they have never played before

magickarplvx

05-25-2013

One of the champ i want in the next rotation is ezreal he pretty easy to play

AUSmrmoyo

05-25-2013

Nami for free plz. Kthxbye

aapolos

05-26-2013

please put bladecraft orianna for sale!