How we choose weekly free champions

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SmartJohnBob

04-06-2013

Honestly, I believe more difficult champion should also be free, for experienced players who have not yet unlocked the champion.

fearthroughpain

04-06-2013

I think fiora and jarven IV should be also free next, they are easy to use, a little bit expensive and i really,really wanna try them out

Meshach

04-07-2013

I'm sure by now this thread is heavily buried. But I would really like to see some changes to this system.

Most notably, I believe you would pay huge dividends for old (and new) players alike if you increased the number of champions in the rotation. We're now at over 100 champions, and the time is ever-increasing between when I see a new champion I'd potentially enjoy playing.

What's more, because so many of the rotated champions are of the 'easy' or 'cheap' variety, I usually have them. In a given week I have well over half of the champions that are presented by the free rotation. This week the only champion I don't have is Graves. This means that the champion rotation offers no excitement or incentive to come back to the game. The only times I care are the weeks following a new champion release where I can try them out myself and decide if I really enjoy the new champ.

My point is simple. I think economics are beginning to dictate for two reasons why you should consider a drastic boost in the number of free week champions (I'm thinking 20).

What are the economics? #1) The more free champions presented, the more fun a given new player has and the more exposure they get and more buying incentive presented. #2) The aging player base continues to be enthralled by the champion rotation, and has reason to interact with new champs they might have forgotten they'd want to purchase, or revisit and find they now love.

In the end, I'm sure you'd make more money with this incentive. Simply because we'd be more engaged with a larger pool of your impressive selection.

If you're concerned about the hook for new players which would say "But I don't need to buy, look how much they give me!" I think that's poppycock, but, you could always introduce a "upon reaching level 30, 50% more champions are included in your pool!" and those +50% could also be more difficult and interesting, for us old-timers.

VulDread

04-07-2013

I would hope to see Z.A.C., Zed, yorick, viktor, thresh, shaco, skarner, malphite, thank you
!

Aries Amnos

04-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotChris View Post
What pattern would you like to see? We're always open to constructive feedback.

We listen to player feedback on Champions to make free, and we introduce new Champions on a regular basis. Those two factors make it hard to have a set rotation that repeats every 8 weeks or so (which is I assume what you're implying about a pattern).

- RiotChris
I think it would be beneficial to see a mix of difficulties in the character rotation so that experienced players can try new Champions that they haven't gotten to try without having to pay for them.

-Amnos

RitsuDerere

04-08-2013

My 2 cents would have to be a... balance of sorts. I get that easier characters should be available for new players but I would like to see more expensive champions during the free week more often (Not necessarily at the same time, just a bit more often). I've been wanting to get several 6000+ IP champions but that's a lot of IP and it's no fun buying a champion without at least having tried it so you know how to play it somewhat. Not to mention a lot of the expensive characters have a higher difficulty and I'm sure more experienced players would rather have, let's say 5 more difficult characters and you can have 5 more simple or mid difficulty for the newer players.

I'm also a bit curious on how long you have to wait for a character that's been on the free week to get featured there again cause I missed some characters I wanted to try out in the past weeks.

CREAMSPLOSION

04-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotChris View Post
What pattern would you like to see? We're always open to constructive feedback.

We listen to player feedback on Champions to make free, and we introduce new Champions on a regular basis. Those two factors make it hard to have a set rotation that repeats every 8 weeks or so (which is I assume what you're implying about a pattern).

- RiotChris
the only pattern id like to see, maybe its already done, is that no free champion repeats as free until all the others have been free

CREAMSPLOSION

04-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fading Alone View Post
I would like Nocturne to be free! Wanna try him desperately!
he was in week six I believe it was, but he wont be free again for some time id imagine.

MehKak123

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-08-2013

Should def put at least 1 free champ of every role in each free week then at least one of the newer champs and older then the rest in between

alexkyut2

04-08-2013

hehe free champions should be balanced