How we choose weekly free champions

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RightClickYou

12-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by En Vino Veritas View Post
so when you say that one of your main goals is to allow new accounts to form balanced teams, why didnt you include a single ad carry in this week's lineup?
.... Twitch.... Kog Maw.....have you played this game before?

Mi Negra Gatita

12-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayEternity View Post
I don't know if anyone has done the math on this thread (573 pages is alot to go through) but there are 6 spots every week and 52 weeks in a year so 52 X 6 = 312. So, Riot, it is entirely feasible to incorporate all 109 champions into the free rotation at least once a year. Or are there so many champions that maybe there should be 7 free champions, just a thought. Also, I'd be most appreciative if either Cassiopeia, Ahri, or Kha'Zix showed up sooner rather than later.
Umm, how is there 6 spots? There are 10 free champs a week...That makes 520 champs a year, which means each champ should be featured every 2 to 3 months.

awakenedpheonix

12-17-2012

There is no rotation so why call it that? honestly, i don't think you guys even follow your goals. i can think of plenty of champions i see every other week and plenty ive never seen hit the free rotation. i know you repeat some simple ones for new players and thats great. but why cant you leave 2 or 3 easy champs that are low ip costs (ashe, nunu, etc) that way people can learn then buy them. but make the rest of the rotation ALWAYS rotate. go through the whole champ roster before repeating. maybe not that long apart but seriously, im sick of seeing the same damn rotations every other week. like i said, 1 or 2 fine..but all 10?

géras

12-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayEternity View Post
I don't know if anyone has done the math on this thread (573 pages is alot to go through) but there are 6 spots every week and 52 weeks in a year so 52 X 6 = 312. So, Riot, it is entirely feasible to incorporate all 109 champions into the free rotation at least once a year. Or are there so many champions that maybe there should be 7 free champions, just a thought. Also, I'd be most appreciative if either Cassiopeia, Ahri, or Kha'Zix showed up sooner rather than later.
I believe cassiopeia was free last week (or maybe the week before) but i she probly wont pop up too much due to goal 1. she's pricey to get but if you really want her just farm some IP =D

Nhero

12-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekota Himeko View Post
Alistar is also free to get, yet he frequently shows up in the rotation. And as others pointed out, not everyone is on FB. Or you're like me and you like them, yet somehow you never get Trist.
How can we get Alister free?
You cannot get Trist free, there is something wrong with the FB thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ustemuf View Post
.... Twitch.... Kog Maw.....have you played this game before?
I think he meant last week.

Kaitou19

12-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parasoull View Post
How can we get Alister free?
You cannot get Trist free, there is something wrong with the FB thing.

I think he meant last week.
Cuz supports need a week and urgot is carry , riot tryin to bring him back

Homosexuality

Recruiter

12-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekota Himeko View Post
Umm, how is there 6 spots? There are 10 free champs a week...That makes 520 champs a year, which means each champ should be featured every 2 to 3 months.
I had to reply to this, but I love it how you say "each champ should be featured every 2 - 3 months", while teemo, kogmaw, chogath, and mundo have been free 4 weeks ago, and here they are again!

ForTehAnarchy

12-18-2012

GAH* how long must i wait to see Mantheon, Kennen, or Katarina free? TT_TT

Are they coming back into the free rotation soon?

does anyone know? o.o

ForTehAnarchy

12-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotChris View Post
What pattern would you like to see? We're always open to constructive feedback.

We listen to player feedback on Champions to make free, and we introduce new Champions on a regular basis. Those two factors make it hard to have a set rotation that repeats every 8 weeks or so (which is I assume what you're implying about a pattern).

- RiotChris
I would like to see not so much a pattern, but WAAAAY more variety, it seems like the same 3-4 champs keep popping up and knocking other champs out. When was the last time pantheon was in the rotation? Kennen? Ahri? Katarina?

The cheap champs like cho gath shouldnt be rotating in anywhere near as often as they do, they need to be replaced by the more expensive champs. Yes i get that riot wants to focus on new players and aquainting them to the game, but what about us veterans who are waiting to try out the expensive champs before deciding to spen IP, or RP on them? we dont want to see cho gath twitch and mundo every 4 weeks. There needs to be 3-4 champs from the 6300 IP range to help players who are "on the fence" trying to decide what champ to buy next Especially since there are more or less no refunds, and you cant buy a champ based on a spotlight that doesnt show nerfs or buffs, in addition theres only so much you can learn from looking at champ stats and abilities... You really need to play a champ before you buy them.

Mortag

12-18-2012

Just saying, but I havent seen Nocturne free in ages. I know it's all random and what not, but kog was free about a month of 2 ago and now he's free again, while Nocturne has been nowhere to be seen.