How we choose weekly free champions

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Its Easy To Play

01-19-2011

lmao "i think allistar is not a tank"

i find that hilarious

parr1026

01-20-2011

first thanks for the info, i like the rotation the way it is, it works, but if people keep complaining about about the "randomness" of it mabe you should pick three heroes for each rotation and and have them on a regular schedule with the other random heroes. like ashe, allister and yi one week, then sivir, nunu, and warwick the next and so on until you have a regular rotation of easy heroes that repeat every other month or so

Bear42

01-20-2011

I dont know if this has been covered yet or not in here cause there are 50 pages of posts that im not gonna take time to read but I will ask anyway:

why is Morgana free every other week? I use her as my main champ but it gets really frustrating when I can never play her because so many other people are. While i do expect her to be free now and again so that players can try her out and see if they like her, but every other week is kind of ridiculous... plus thats one less new champ i get to expect every other week that i might like to try out or look foreword to.

parr1026

01-20-2011

i think new champs should not be free the first week that way people that have the rp/ip to buy them can play them and test them out, then in the next week or so others can try the newer heroes and test them out

Delacare

01-20-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotChris View Post
What pattern would you like to see? We're always open to constructive feedback.

We listen to player feedback on Champions to make free, and we introduce new Champions on a regular basis. Those two factors make it hard to have a set rotation that repeats every 8 weeks or so (which is I assume what you're implying about a pattern).

- RiotChris
When rotating the champions why dont you try keeping at least1 champion on the list at all times.

superpyro40

01-20-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delacare View Post
When rotating the champions why dont you try keeping at least1 champion on the list at all times.
You should totally do that. It should be the most powerful champion in the whole game...that's right...SORAKA!

Suzumebachi16

01-21-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by superpyro40 View Post
You should totally do that. It should be the most powerful champion in the whole game...that's right...SORAKA!
agreed!!

Sky7 Death

01-21-2011

Quote:
From time to time we get questions on how we chose weekly free champions. We rotate the Champions to keep the game fresh for those that haven't unlocked all the Champions.

Here is how we choose which ones are free:

Champion Rotation Goals
1) Give new players some simple Champions to play
2) Provide a balance of types of Champions for new players
-- This allows new players to make balanced teams
3) Allow players to preview all Champions eventually

Given these goals we look at player feedback, and decide which Champions should be free next week that allow us to meet these goals.

-------------------

Frequently Asked Questions:
Q Will new Champions always be free the first week?
A No, we will debut Champions that need to be unlocked, but eventually they will be free (see goal 3).

Q Will some Champions be free more often than others?
A Yes, because some Champions are simpler to play that others, and our first goal with the free Champion rotation is to allow new players simple Champions to try for their first games.

Q I don't think Alistar is a Tank
A Okay - not a question, but yes, thanks to our item system, Champions can be built different ways. That means many Champions can be played as different types (for example, as a Tank or Melee DPS). To keep things simple, we list only one type for each Champion in our statistics, but many of them can be played differently than the type we list.

Q Do the Champions rotate on the same day every week?
A No. We often synch the Champion rotation with the new content and patches we are releasing. Because we won't release the patches until they are done, this means they sometimes don't fall on the same day each week. This leads us to rotate our Champions on different days of the week to try and get even amounts of time between Champion rotations. This is also why we don't announce the exact date of the rotation.

I'll link to this post from the Champion rotation announcements to answer the questions that keep coming up. If there are more frequently asked questions, I'll post the answers here.

Thanks for all the requests for free Champions!

- RiotChris
when will corki become free? please make it soon!

DeusNocturne

01-21-2011

The only problem I have with this is too often we see the same champions I mean I get that you want to give new players easy champions but some champs we never see free and some are free basically every other week. I would just really like to see you guys maybe take all the champs that exist and break them up into 2 categories have the "easy & new player friendly" champs and the "advanced" champs and every week when you rotate pick maybe 5 easy champs and 5 advanced champs (or 6/4 whatever depending on how big each category is) that way players will get a chance to play champions they may have been wanting to try to decide if they want to get them or not. I won't just buy a champion because they look pretty, I want to play them first a few times. If you do it this way you give old and new players a chance to experience more champions and if basically half are easy champs then new players have champions to play and they can also try more difficult champions. I would like to think you guys already do this but like every other week i see yi or ashe or trist and it's too much if i see multiple of the same champs in the rotation 2 weeks every month and its been that way for a few months then it's a problem because your neglecting half of the roster basically.

Spriell

01-21-2011

Quote:
What pattern would you like to see? We're always open to constructive feedback.

We listen to player feedback on Champions to make free, and we introduce new Champions on a regular basis. Those two factors make it hard to have a set rotation that repeats every 8 weeks or so (which is I assume what you're implying about a pattern).

- RiotChris
i've noticed that morgana and veigar are becoming free almost every other week and i haven't seen or tried out champions like udyr, sion, singed, gangplanck etc.. I've only been playing the game for a month, but is the reason i haven't seen them is are they hard to play?