How we choose weekly free champions

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

EliooMelkii

11-13-2012

;D

firestar4592

11-13-2012

Maybe one week its Tank champions, and the next its Junglers, then Ranged, then
Close Combat Champions(ex. Garen, Master Yi).

Vikairius

11-14-2012

Beefy last week and squishy this week. Lovely.

lala65456

11-14-2012

Just a request but, could you put Xerath on free week soon? Never seen him out before.

GrandeGlande

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearDuSoleil View Post
If you believe this than you are also the kind of person that believes that the american government has never done anything deplorable, nor has it ever lied to the public about said actions.

At the end of the day the selection of free week champions is purely financially / marketing motivated.

Champs that most summoners already own appear more commonly as free to play each week. With that being said, certain free week champs are also strategicly chosen for other reasons such as 'recent tournament selections' & 'keeping up the appearance of acting in the consumers best interests'.

New champs will never be free in the 1st week of release as a LOT of people buy them, and their skins, regardless. This in fact leads to more sales for riot in the long term as they get both 100% of the 'can't wait' market and 100% of the well sounded 'I tested it, I like it'. Ps: new champs are most often released 'op' to further entice the market into 'can't wait' sales.

Everything that Riot does today comes from a deep understanding of their market. They are the kings of 'in game purchase marketing' and for this I respect them. They are very good at intentionally giving you, and then quickly taking away your IP (as you level up you need to buy runes / rune pages, so no IP is left for champ purchase). Riot's decisions of which champs to make free week come from the same line of thinking, which is in effect the bottom line.

If you wanna test that champ so badly, bow to the beast, pay the $5 and buy it. It's the only way.

@ Riot. Don't hate me. Don't science me, that will just make you more like the government I indirectly compared you to. Hire me
Or make a PBE account , duh...

EDIT: proof added

You Mod Bro

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlando View Post
are you serious? youre asking people who wrote a game that has a "random" in the champion select if they can write a program to randomly select champions each week?

why is handpicking a problem to so many people? i think its the only way to go. if every game you play has a twitch in it, then why have him available in a free week? these are the types of things a random selection cant account for. player feedback on which champions theyd like to try is the only way to go.

keep in mind, theres 10 champs each week. theres a little over 50 champs. so it takes a little over a month to see them all. if you bought the game, even less than that. or you could just drop 35 bucks and get them all but 3 and not worry about which ones are free each week.

i wish we could see the stats of people who say the weekly selection method sucks. i bet >90% of their games are with one champ. its also annoying to hear people talk about losing pugs with people who suck trying out new characters when the most likely reason they lost is because they suck with their "main". get over yourselves, youre going to lose some games.

riot, keep hand picking the weekly champs based on community feedback. its the only way to go. why does my opinion matter? because the weekly free champion list doesnt apply to me.
Uhh there's like 107 champions now not 50..

Darkdragon24

11-14-2012

thanks for info

XxX J Pixel XxX

11-14-2012

I just want to see one junger one ap carry one ad carry one support and one support tanky after that make champions with least rep. to go free. URGOT FREE EVERY WEEK YAY!!!

jojojoro

11-14-2012

Lately I've been noticing sooo many people who buy the new champ on the first day and play them like crazy. I don't quite know how ot word this but, its extremely annoying that for like the next three days straight I see the new champ in every single game and most of the time the person who plays the new champ is awful at it and feeds. idk how to fix this but I just had to say this to you people out there so maybe you could relate to me on this matter.

Daemous

11-14-2012

I know you are basing most of the "weekly free champions" upon new players so they have something to play while they earn IP towards buying champs they can own but I think you should include some champions in the rotation that are geared towards players who aren't new. The game does not only have new players and there will be certain champions that certain people will want to try out before they buy them. How do you think it feels towards a veteran(or at least one who isn't a beginner/new player) when they want to try out a certain champion but most likely will not be able to for a very long time simply because that champion isn't "beginner/new player" friendly?