How we choose weekly free champions

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TheJam99

10-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotChris View Post
From time to time we get questions on how we chose weekly free champions. We rotate the Champions to keep the game fresh for those that haven't unlocked all the Champions.

Here is how we choose which ones are free:

Champion Rotation Goals
1) Give new players some simple Champions to play
2) Provide a balance of types of Champions for new players
-- This allows new players to make balanced teams
3) Allow players to preview all Champions eventually

Given these goals we look at player feedback, and decide which Champions should be free next week that allow us to meet these goals.

-------------------

Frequently Asked Questions:
Q Will new Champions always be free the first week?
A No, we will debut Champions that need to be unlocked, but eventually they will be free (see goal 3).

Q Will some Champions be free more often than others?
A Yes, because some Champions are simpler to play that others, and our first goal with the free Champion rotation is to allow new players simple Champions to try for their first games.

Q I don't think Alistar is a Tank
A Okay - not a question, but yes, thanks to our item system, Champions can be built different ways. That means many Champions can be played as different types (for example, as a Tank or Melee DPS). To keep things simple, we list only one type for each Champion in our statistics, but many of them can be played differently than the type we list.

Q Do the Champions rotate on the same day every week?
A No. We often synch the Champion rotation with the new content and patches we are releasing. Because we won't release the patches until they are done, this means they sometimes don't fall on the same day each week. This leads us to rotate our Champions on different days of the week to try and get even amounts of time between Champion rotations. This is also why we don't announce the exact date of the rotation.

I'll link to this post from the Champion rotation announcements to answer the questions that keep coming up. If there are more frequently asked questions, I'll post the answers here.

Thanks for all the requests for free Champions!

- RiotChris
more champs free 2 play plz ty

TheJam99

10-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickbeil View Post
just a thought for all. Would their be a posibily to see more champs to select during the week? it would give a little more range for others to play
yeah i agree

SuikodenFan

10-29-2012

It would be kind of cool if there were 16 Free Champs a week so that Drafting games can be done without having any champs purchased.

sirshiny

10-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR BALAJEE View Post
i wanna try EZREAL .... wanna buy pulsefire if he is suitable for me
He was free two weeks ago. same time sona was free

sirshiny

10-29-2012

I wish it was a full rotation done in sets. I've been playing for a while and I've never seen draven free (minus his first week).

Really been wanting to pick him up but I'm not just going to dump 6300ip down the drain.

Sp4nishDiplomat

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-29-2012

T_T why no Draven. I've been waiting for many many many weeks. I was hoping he'd be free this week but it's sivir again! she appears too often !

LordBoneBreakerz

10-30-2012

I have been playing warwick and i see that after he is doen with his ult he stops attacking even if you reclick the champ you where attack with ult. It seems that you have to move away from the spot to reingage some one tell me where to submit this info please

JonnyDa3

10-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotChris View Post
What pattern would you like to see? We're always open to constructive feedback.

We listen to player feedback on Champions to make free, and we introduce new Champions on a regular basis. Those two factors make it hard to have a set rotation that repeats every 8 weeks or so (which is I assume what you're implying about a pattern).

- RiotChris
can you make it like 3 6300 champs, 3 4800, 3 3150, 3 1350's and 3 450's???

JonnyDa3

10-30-2012

Master Seraph

10-30-2012

Lately, I have been disappointed with the free champions. I know you guys are trying to keep the champs balanced, and I am not complaining about that. What I am complaining about, is that when am I going to play some of the new champs? Rengar came free once, and so did Syndra, but what about Zyra? Jayce? I wanted to spend my RP on them, but I wanted to try them first to see if I liked them. I waited about three weeks, then I just spent it on other champs. A suggestion. I know you guys are trying to keep the new champs from being free first week, but I would like to see the champs within the first month of coming out to be free. At least, since Elise just came out, I would like to try her late November, see?