How we choose weekly free champions

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

LADY PUNK

10-08-2012

Ammumu, nunu, jax and lux appeared from 1 to 3 weeks ago, and i want to try new champs to buy, i know u have to put easy champs for new people buet not all of them... thats what i think, i hope u take it in coinsideration. thanks 4 your time

cuddlyhobo

Recruiter

10-08-2012

In my opinion, champions that cost 450IP should not be on free week rotation. They are for the most part the easiest champions to play but at 450IP they are really easy to obtain for new players and not an issue for anyone who isn't new. Even from the standpoint of wanting to try a champion before you buy them, 450IP is hardly a loss and not a disaster if you don't like them.

Rolienolie

10-08-2012

I thought i would throw my two cents in too...

I think there should be random dates, if there were not random dates, then there would be a week where champs nobody preferred would be available, thus, trolls.

Another thing, the champions that are 450 IP should only MAYBE have 1 in the rotation...these are too easy to obtain and give early players a challenge, without eliminating it completely.

There should be at least 4 carries and a tank in each champion rotation, this way, players can have decent team compositions, and have fun beating the **** out of bots and/or other players at low levels.

*ME ONLY*

I wish i saw more Orianna, shes a very rare champ, and id like to see her again

violanna

10-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotChris View Post
What pattern would you like to see? We're always open to constructive feedback.

We listen to player feedback on Champions to make free, and we introduce new Champions on a regular basis. Those two factors make it hard to have a set rotation that repeats every 8 weeks or so (which is I assume what you're implying about a pattern).

- RiotChris
Could you guys actually make it where we dont see the same champions free for at least 2-3 weeks?? It gets repetitive playing against the same characters, hard to learn to counter anything else.

violanna

10-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy404 View Post
Riot, most people are complaining about the champions that you have selected for the past few weeks. just a suggestion, why don't you create a free champion rotation week page and let the players pick the champions that they would like to play the next week by clicking on a portrait the champion. One rule would be that the same champion cant be picked twice within 3 weeks when it was first picked.

Thank you
Now this is a seriously great idea!!!!! I think it would be cool to have at least a few of the free week be player picks!!

Arkham Warlock

10-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy404 View Post
Riot, most people are complaining about the champions that you have selected for the past few weeks. just a suggestion, why don't you create a free champion rotation week page and let the players pick the champions that they would like to play the next week by clicking on a portrait the champion. One rule would be that the same champion cant be picked twice within 3 weeks when it was first picked.

Thank you
An amazing idea, truthfully. Obviously there would have to be a system of checks and balances in place so that the same champions don't get picked over and over again (I could see Darius getting spammed). Otherwise, this is a great suggestion.

Arrugai

10-08-2012

Honestly, I'm far from an old player (I consider myself extremely new and very much terrible in fact) and yet even I've seen the same few champions at least 3~4 times. There are EXTREMELY few difficult to play champions; the difficulty in this game is in PvP, not in learning champions.

I think you give far too little credit to new players, thinking they can only play 450~1,350IP Champions. Having the same ones free week after week.. How is that fun or constructive for new players when it comes to either learning new styles or learning to counter new styles? It's really no wonder people like me are still terrible xP

That being said, I don't mean for this to sound like me personally whining/etc. I merely don't understand the logic behind this thinking at all, it's entirely contradicting what you say your goal is.

Prime example: Amumu, Jax and Soraka were all in 3 weeks prior to the coming rotation (Amumu 5 weeks before that as well). Lux 2 weeks before that.

This week's? Master Yi, Teemo, Malphite were all in 5 weeks prior. (Probably more examples I'm forgetting)

Last week's? Ryze 3 weeks prior, Taric 4 weeks, Singed 5 weeks.

I won't continue this list and I probably missed some good examples, but my point is.. I can understand having 1 or 2 Champions showing up twice in the same 4~5 week span, but really? 2~3 weeks, and so many of them in 5?

If your intent is truly to give new players champions to try, let everyone try every champion in time and (I assume, though it isn't necessarily written) help new players grow as players.. This is extremely counter-intuitive.

Repetition of cheap champions only proves to skew a new player's strategy development and overall enjoyment of the game.

Still, I do <3 LoL, it's just a tad irritating at times to see this happening so much. Especially as a new player. Peace folks.

Tihealy

10-09-2012

Need more High IP champion, waiting for cassiopia for over a good 15+ weeks and nothing

Dr Gundanuts

10-09-2012

when will it switch over in the game?! i wanna play as fiddle!!!

raynac

10-09-2012

got any easier champs to play o.o my girlfriend is trying to learn and all the champs you ahve right now require a bit of skill to use