How we choose weekly free champions

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

z VenaTix

01-18-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinfulHope View Post
this is the only thing that i personally see as the only problem...

imo i think New/Upcoming Champs should always be free the week they are released
for the simple reason of balance...

i mean think about it, lets say udyr wasn't free the week he was released that means only a few who either had extra IP and or bought him with RP would have played him, and thus

only a small portion of the community would have been able to give feed back on him...

cause i mean lets face it only reason udyr was even brought up was because he was free the week he was released and a ton of players played him and gave the feedback on him,

just my 2 cents on the subject =p

Nothing more I can add to that! That seems to be a near perfect reason for new champs to be free that week.

Acru

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-18-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotChris View Post
Q Will new Champions always be free the first week?
A No, we will debut Champions that need to be unlocked, but eventually they will be free (see goal 3).
I believe it important to allow a trial of new champions by at least the second week, for active players.

Even if you have no interest in acquiring the new champ, being able to play it in a practice game allows one to understand the champ better, and how the champ will effect real games.

Early adapters will be getting the champ the first week, but may not understand how to effectively use right away, but by the third week this is not the case.

Of course you can also get some understanding of new champs by playing vs. them in a real game, but this learning is often gained by loosing, and gives an incomplete picture.

Just keep this in mind.

lovelyrita

Recruiter

01-18-2011

Riot's office when it comes to pickin' time.

GremoryKing

01-18-2011

Quote:
this is the only thing that i personally see as the only problem...

imo i think New/Upcoming Champs should always be free the week they are released

i mean think about it, lets say udyr wasn't free the week he was released that means only a few who either had extra IP and or bought him with RP would have played him, and thus

only a small portion of the community would have been able to give feed back on him...

cause i mean lets face it only reason udyr was even brought up was because he was free the week he was released and a ton of players played him and gave the feedback on him,

just my 2 cents on the subject =p
I think this is a great idea.
I'm sure Riot have thought of this before, and have a good reason for not doing it also.

Homegrown Hero

01-18-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siveal View Post
What if the community could vote on a line-up out of a few selections each week posted by someone at Riot? There could be weekly votings on the main page or forums. That way you guys can still control what champions are in the line-up (variety) and the community can pick what they like (vote by majority). The only problem is that someone would have to take the time investment to do this weekly.

One other good point is that we could add suggestions to the line-ups so you can hear something that wasn't considered.
this would probably result in most of the same champs showing up every week.

Homegrown Hero

01-18-2011

it seems to me that riot goes with making new champs free a week or so later so that more people will spend ip/rp on it.

cyan guy

01-18-2011

I have one problem.

I know Ashe is easy to use, but stop making ashe free every other week. There are other easy champs that could be used more often, like Miss Fortune. And when Miss Fortune costs way more than ashe in IP and RP, it makes way more sense.

DiD Deoxis

01-18-2011

Theres also the factor that if riot makes the hero's free the week they come out that hero will be aimed by 90% of the people that play a game to play as that character, not giving the people that are willing to pay to play a new character.

Reikken

01-18-2011

huge plus for giving explanations

Quote:
For the simple reason of MONEY, that's a very bad idea. The people working at Riot Games have to have some form of income to keep this thing going.

GrantLewis

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-18-2011

I love free tanks.