How we choose weekly free champions

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Introvert

01-18-2011

Eve and Twitch should be put on rotation more often. They've been free maybe once since Season 1 started.

yoursellf

01-18-2011

I'm personally against the idea of making the new champion free the week he/she is released. One reason is if you see that champ every game you start to say, "oh great, another (insert champ here)." It just makes the champ stale and destroys any kind of variety in the matches you play. It also takes away from the mystery of the champion, because people start seeing what said champ can do, they devise strategies against the champion, and instead of the people who bought the champion pulling some crazy stunt and saying over /all, "Oh man! did you see that? this champ is awesome!" you will here, "Yea, big-shot new champ coming in here trying to mess with me? I've seen it a hundred times already pal."

lordoperu

01-18-2011

I really saw nothing in this to explain why Twitch is never free and Heimer/Blitz are free every other week though.

P1inquisitor

01-18-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubbz View Post
If you want to hate something for not having a pattern, hate the lottery :P
Except the lottery DOES have a pattern. Sure, it's all along to chance, but even with probablility, a certain set of numbers and/or letters WILL appear in rotations and sets with a given chance of occurance.
~Laws of Probablitity~

My two cents: In agreement with several others, I also would like champs free there first week. It gives a certain sense of gratification to be able to try him out, and relish the 'newness' of a hero. I don't like having to purchase a new hero before trying it out, especially when I find that it isn't in my playstyle anyway.
On the downside, having the new hero free the first week WILL cause heavy picking, and occurring resentment towards, the hero. It happens all too frequently someone will pick the new hero when another wanted it, and either quit the game, or feed on purpose (the latter so much more rude :/ ).

Then again to the downside, that can still happen with any hero and childish player throwing a tantrum. Luck of the draw.

MaffuJames

01-18-2011

i like that they aren't free to play first week. i mean come on... the people who save up the IP and RP the week before should be able to buy and try him first.
enough people do so to get quite a bit of quality feedback, i assume.

it makes the person who saved and bought him on opening day feel special, like they earned something. don't take that feeling away.

and you only have to wait a week to play new champs for free. 7 days isn't that bad

DarthNocturnis

01-18-2011

Hmmm..
I am of the belief that the new champ should be free the week after they are put out.
Why?
The first week everyone tries out new champion, no one buys him, Riot doesn't make money.
However, if the new champ is used by the people who know they are good enough to use any champion effectively, or is bought by people who use RP, then Riot makes money. Business perspective, I am in favor.

The champion being free the second week helps continue the business cycle (in my opinion, at least). A number of people see that the new champion is/isn't viable and now have the chance to test this out for themselves. Those people can now play that champion for free and then buy it after they find that they like it. (Or don't if they don't like the champion.)
Hmmm...Probably shouldn't have tried to explain this while I'm sick and tired, but it makes sense for the new champs to be free the second week instead of the first from a business perspective.

Chrir15

01-18-2011

Quote:
imo i think New/Upcoming Champs should always be free the week they are released
for the simple reason of balance...
i agree with him, i got caitlin the week she came out and wish i wouldn't have, and wouldn't have bought her if i had been able to try her out before buying. make sense?

Chrir15

TriGod

01-18-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotChris View Post
What pattern would you like to see? We're always open to constructive feedback.

We listen to player feedback on Champions to make free, and we introduce new Champions on a regular basis. Those two factors make it hard to have a set rotation that repeats every 8 weeks or so (which is I assume what you're implying about a pattern).

- RiotChris
i think that the champs who are not played much or bought much that week should be free to give people a taste of it and if they like it buy it

MiiRACLEZ

01-18-2011

think this is a great idea. most companies/businesses would a)only have a few beginner champs available and you would have to unlock every other champ in the game and or b) you would have to buy points for unlocking items this whole concept of "IP" is lovely.....however if youre going to give out champs for IP along with most other things in the game why not make skins available for like 10k or something????

that is my one and only complaint with this game well that and

MAKE SOME NEW MAPS or at least new "skins" for the existing maps....i really need a change of scenery and there are people that play this alot more than me so i could only imagine how they feel....but rumor has it there is a new map in the works so prayers answered?????

txtmsg

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-18-2011

I think some champs are free to play too often, while we beraly some others. For axample, ashe is free almost every week; on the other hand I think Ive seen shaco like once (also ezrael).