How we choose weekly free champions

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BuddhazBounty

08-06-2012

What bull****, you obviously make sure half of the champions are the oldest, and cheapest in the game keeping the supply of newer top tier champs low while the demand is high. Don't pretend like you aren't just marketing in every possible way. How about you do the community a favor and update more of the classics because of how insanely better new kits are compared to the old. Steroids that used to be considered too strong are now passive abilities on every singe release, not to mention the huge amount of cc and over all utility being introduced to the game. 6 Months from now new releases will be on par with DOTA heroes while the old chug along,

ICantNameMe

08-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddhasBounty View Post
What bull****, you obviously make sure half of the champions are the oldest, and cheapest in the game keeping the supply of newer top tier champs low while the demand is high. Don't pretend like you aren't just marketing in every possible way. How about you do the community a favor and update more of the classics because of how insanely better new kits are compared to the old. Steroids that used to be considered too strong are now passive abilities on every singe release, not to mention the huge amount of cc and over all utility being introduced to the game. 6 Months from now new releases will be on par with DOTA heroes while the old chug along,
Did you not read?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotChris View Post
Champion Rotation Goals
1) Give new players some simple Champions to play
They continue to recycle the older champions because they generally have lower skillcaps than the newer ones. Varus, Hecarim, Viktor are also not that old either, and are all 6300, so I'm not sure what you're complaining about. They usually have the released champion for free week on the 3rd week after release as well. Besides, having cheaper champions featured allows newer players to purchase them more easily when the free week ends.

DexterMorganBHB

08-06-2012

I agree with New champs being part of the free week upon their release but more like this.

The new Champs should be available as a bonus free champ for 2-3 days of that week to give everybody time to try them out so we can see if we like the champion. I bought Draven while his skin bundle was still available and was sorely disappointed in my purchase decision. So having New champs free to play for the first couple days would be a nice thing for the community

Makhiavelli

08-06-2012

Why you no free week Zyra??

DerpBlood

08-06-2012

Put lee sin for next week

LunerGuardian

Recruiter

08-06-2012

I'm going to have to agree with everyone else and say that when you release a new champion, it should be introduced with the new weekly rotation. This gives new and old players alike, time to play and in fact, test out the new champion. This would reduce on the number of balance patching that the system would require by giving the developers timely feedback, and allow them to make all corrections at the same time. I was a GM for Aeria Games for over seven years, and we did something close to this with our community feedback and reports. It allowed us to fix multiple issues at once and in turn allowed us to concentrate on bigger issues, like community outreach events and such. I know that I'm not a GM or a Dev for your company but, as a gamer within your community I believe this sort of information and feedback could be vital and extremely helpful for your company in maintaining a long term game.

htaeDaeth

Recruiter

08-06-2012

lee sin and zyra plz

Shadow Master

08-06-2012

I had JUST looked up Hecarim, realized I really want to play him and begun collecting IP for him...

And now I get to play him for the whole week while I accumulate IP.

AWESOME.

2good4u i am

08-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotChris View Post
What pattern would you like to see? We're always open to constructive feedback.

We listen to player feedback on Champions to make free, and we introduce new Champions on a regular basis. Those two factors make it hard to have a set rotation that repeats every 8 weeks or so (which is I assume what you're implying about a pattern).

- RiotChris
i would like to see newer champions in the rotation more often

sterling96

08-07-2012

la