How we choose weekly free champions

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TheWeaver

01-18-2011

The only issue that I see is that often there are characters who are free every other week or every three weeks or so. I know this is probably because of the need to keep some simpler starting characters available, which I completely agree with. However, it can get really frustrating when you've been waiting for a character to be on free rotation... for like 7 or 8 rotations.

For example, I've been wanting to try out Lux for a really long time, and while I've been waiting for her, Morgana has been free at least twice, maybe three times. The same goes for Sivir and a couple of others. Shouldn't one of the goals also be to keep the rotation at least roughly even? I know it's not just me that doesn't want to buy a character until I've tried them at least once.. So when I have to wait for a godawful amount of time, it seems a little silly that it isn't a little more regulated.

It seems like someone should say, "Hey, we haven't put this character free in 5 or 6 rotations, why don't we do it this week?"

xDarkArchon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-18-2011

Can we see some more of Udyr? He hasn't been free for like 12 weeks.

CHICKENpl0x

01-18-2011

Do you consider the list(spreadsheet) that I see MrCrumb post each time he tells us about the new free champion rotation? Some newer champions have seen the free rotation just about as much as some of the older champions.

Imericus

01-18-2011

was wondering if you could make a poll for us to pick like say 2 of the free rotations each time, i think that would be cool

MazoMackz

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

01-18-2011

Can increase the number of free champions per week like 2 more or something plz?

The Masked One

01-18-2011

Hey Chris,
I've noticed a lot of people talking about having new champs free on release. I agree with this sentiment, and after reading this forum post (http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...d.php?t=455508) I think that it would really help with testing and balancing new champions and free up more time for your testers to work on other aspects of the game instead of constantly testing champions. The community is one of your greatest resources, and you could save plenty of resources to be used improving other aspects of the game.

It might be a bit off topic here, but I want as many reds to see this post from Odincore as possible. Some of these changes could be massive steps in the right direction.

Diogo Pinto

01-18-2011

I'd really love to see some hard play/ long time no see champs into the rotation

Hydrochoerus

01-18-2011

ive always wanted to try udyr. can you put him up on free week

The Devionne

01-18-2011

Q Do the Champions rotate on the same day every week?
A No. We often synch the Champion rotation with the new content and patches we are releasing. Because we won't release the patches until they are done, this means they sometimes don't fall on the same day each week. This leads us to rotate our Champions on different days of the week to try and get even amounts of time between Champion rotations. This is also why we don't announce the exact date of the rotation.

Ok I realize I'm not a developer and don't really know what processes you have to go through, but to me this seems like a pretty lame excuse. I see no reason why there couldn't be a set day for weekly rotation. How many other games have set scheduals for other such things? I lost count years ago. Just seems like that shouldn't even be an issue. I don't know about anyone else but when I have credits saved up for a champion I wait for the next rotation so I can see if there's any others I wish to try before I make my final decision. It is rather difficult to decide what to do in a game when you don't even know what the developers are going to do. All that being said I applaud RIOT for paying attention to their loyal community. You guys rock!

yoursellf

01-18-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summoner Fred View Post
ryze is being free to often ryze is due to be free again on week 21 when he was just free on week 19... show some variaty im sick of playing against a ryze every game i play from week 19 now im going to have to deal with it again on week 21
Ryze is the easiest to play nuker and therefore helps new players learn how to play squishy nukers. Riot most likely understands this and makes him free so the people who are new to the game, or new to a nuking class can get the feel for what it's like to play said class.