How we choose weekly free champions

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MrObscure

07-03-2012

Quote:
Q I don't think Alistar is a Tank
A Okay - not a question, but yes, thanks to our item system, Champions can be built different ways. That means many Champions can be played as different types (for example, as a Tank or Melee DPS). To keep things simple, we list only one type for each Champion in our statistics, but many of them can be played differently than the type we list.
So Alistar isnt a tank?

Just kidding, good post, and a well balanced rotation this week.

PresBarackbar

07-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkeypunchmojo View Post
So far I'm pretty happy with the rotations. Yes, there could be changes to the system (as with any system) but it works. Keeps it simple for the new guys who haven't earned enough IP to buy another champion. I really doubt people would like a total newbie starting with a champion like, I don't know, Kassadin. Although an OP champion when played right, without decent knowledge on him it can easily be a train wreck.
The problem I have is that the rotations become far too similar each week since their recommended champions never change, and it sucks to not be able to try some higher skill cap champs. I don't really like buying a champ without spending some time with them.

Manikor

07-03-2012

I dont know if the devs still read this thread but...I personally dont like to unlock a champion I have never played. I am sure there are many like me. It would be nice all other things aside that some form of regular rotation is applied to every champion. I understand the need to have simply champs and a good mix of champs in each rotation so here is my suggestion:

Set aside 2 slots that rotate only simple champs for the new players. Make the other 8 slots or even add 2 more slots for an even 10 to rotate all of the other champs insuring a complete rotation every 8 to 10 weeks. The champs have allready been broken down into ranged/melee/fighter/mage etc. Just split all of the champs into one category and designate each of the 8 slots to a category.

IE the first 4 slots are melee champs and the last 4 slots are ranged champs. Designate one slot for tank - pull up all of the champs that are tanks and rotate only tanks in this slot. Make one slot Jungler and rotate only junglers in this slot. If a champ can be a tank or a jungler - make an executive decision on what that champ will be considered for a season and rotate only into that designated slot. Maybe one slot is AD melee and one slot is AP melee then another slot is AD range and another slot is AP range etc.

Break the champs into each of the categories and try to balance the champs so each slot has an almost equal number of champs. After each time through a complete rotation for a particular slot create a new random order for that particular slot such that the same mix of heroes isnt always together.

The way I unlock champs now is I experiment with different free champs each week. If I like one that I think I can play I unlock it - If I dont like the champ I dont unlock it. So if I never see a champ on rotation I will likely never unlock it.

QuazrStrikeBlade

07-03-2012

Can we put yorick in the next free rotation? I want to buy him, but i have never played as him

The MechE

07-04-2012

Does this thread even get read by Riot any more?

AllanBoomhaur

Recruiter

07-04-2012

id like to see Varus free next week, he looks really fun to play, im and im thinking about buying him, i just wanna test him out first. if hed come free asap, id be happy

xXcatoXx

07-04-2012

Thanks i have always wondered about that but some champions are played more then others like kog maw why is that.
P.S Chris is a really cool name..hint hint

FallenWingz

07-05-2012

i think we should have poll after releasing the rotation. So players can try champions before buying. Because what if a player like me who was looking forwarrd to jax (ip) was saving . when i bought i realised that i didn't really liked him and could of spent the ip on someone else

Freeky Bot

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinfulHope View Post
this is the only thing that i personally see as the only problem...

imo i think New/Upcoming Champs should always be free the week they are released
for the simple reason of balance...

i mean think about it, lets say udyr wasn't free the week he was released that means only a few who either had extra IP and or bought him with RP would have played him, and thus

only a small portion of the community would have been able to give feed back on him...

cause i mean lets face it only reason udyr was even brought up was because he was free the week he was released and a ton of players played him and gave the feedback on him,

just my 2 cents on the subject =p
i just think they should so people can try different players

Sky7 Death

07-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotChris View Post
Good suggestions Giggz (and welcome to the US forums). However, some of the Champions have positive or negative synergies across types. For instance, if we made Twitch and Shaco free the same week, it would be stealth-city. Or what about Ryze, Morgana, Blitzcrank and Malphite - that would be stun-ville (but they're all different types). That could happen coincidentally if we used lists of types, so I like the personally-tweaked rotations rather than automatic (and then we can listen to player requests). It also ensures that we have enough easy Champions in the rotations - our #1 goal.

- RiotChris
thanks chris im wondering if u could possibly make darius free anytime soon im thinking about buying him but he hasnt become free while im allowed to play yet thx

-Deathbringer1313