How we choose weekly free champions

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

iKail

07-02-2012

Hopefully we can get some Lee Sin action. Lee Sin has only been on free week, like what, three times? He hasn't been on free week at all in Season Two.

Nefarias

07-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinfulHope View Post
this is the only thing that i personally see as the only problem...

imo i think New/Upcoming Champs should always be free the week they are released
for the simple reason of balance...

i mean think about it, lets say udyr wasn't free the week he was released that means only a few who either had extra IP and or bought him with RP would have played him, and thus

only a small portion of the community would have been able to give feed back on him...

cause i mean lets face it only reason udyr was even brought up was because he was free the week he was released and a ton of players played him and gave the feedback on him,

just my 2 cents on the subject =p
You aren't giving credit to how many people actually buy new champions when they release, which is to say a lot.

Nefarias

07-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by iKail View Post
Hopefully we can get some Lee Sin action. Lee Sin has only been on free week, like what, three times? He hasn't been on free week at all in Season Two.
Lee sin being a high skill cap champion is not a very fun free week. Not enough good ones as is let alone if he were on a free week.

Unclefro

07-02-2012

It seems to that often champions are free shortly before undergoing changes (buff/nerf). A perfect example would be this week where Shen, Orianna, and LeBlanc were all free, and will be undergoing major changes in the next patch. Although I could see this potentially helping riot gather large amounts of data on champions that are not used as often, I feel like it would benefit the players more to be able to use these champions after they are changed as opposed to before. In the case of major changes to a champion if one cannot play the champion it is difficult for them to understand how to counter said champion. Do you take things like recent buffs/nerfs or plans to buff/nerf into account when selecting free champions?

Weegee7

07-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by iKail View Post
Yes he has. Check some legit sources next time.

07-02-2012

is darius going to be free next week

KillerPheonix

07-02-2012

Jarvan yeaahhhh

TheJohns

07-02-2012

Why are we keep getting Sejuani free weeks?

WORST DONG NA

07-02-2012

Why are we grammar?

UnicornStrength

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexara View Post
Firstly, im quite new to LoL,

but i dont like to see heroes i already own free for the week.

it infact can feel like I'm being cheated out of a week of free champions

perhaps its possible to have a larger free champ base (say 20) each week, instead of 10?

i would agree that 20 is far to many free champions to release every week however.
so choose say 5 - 10, and if a player already owns them, it starts picking from the reserve 10 - 15 ?

it would also seem to me that a player could potentially try an additional 10 champions in a week if they liked and bought all the first 10.

the largest problem/criticism i could see with a system like this, is new players buying hero's they dont know how to play well. it would seem to me that would only encourage people to take more advice from the people they play with to become better at them.

in conclusion something like this would not outright solve my problem of champions being selected which i already own, but could seriously reduce it.

If there was 20 free champs a week, first thats alot you dont need that much we just need 10 for balance, second, then whats the point of draft pick? we want people with atleast 16 champions so only pros can enter not noobs