How we choose weekly free champions

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Blake Hitokiri

01-18-2011

I wanna play, why the servers is desconnected?

Norlen

01-18-2011

I always thought the champion rotation was every Monday or Tuesday.

ShowMeASmile

01-18-2011

by reading all the comments and what not i have come to the conclusion that it would be best for riot to put the new champions such as renekton in the rotation the week after they are released. this way all the people who bought the champion get to try them out, and then all the people who didnt buy the champion, can try it out later. also i think you should make it so that if you own a champion you should be able to put them into your custom games for a bit more fun, since lets face it. owning sivir and soraka over and over and over just loses its appeal.

OberonDark

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-18-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necronade View Post
Twitch is not THAT hard to play, of course he's not the easiest to play but you just need to know when to go out of your stealth during a fight
Not his point.

Nammycakes

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-18-2011

I think Riot needs to really make it more random. Ashe and Sivir are for free like every other week, I mean seriously. In the past few months Sivir has been available 11 times and Pantheon has been free once.

It makes it utterly worthless to purchase Sivir and other common champs.

Kenyanspeed

01-18-2011

Well in my opinion it would be a bad idea to make the new champion free the week it came out #1 riot would lose alot of money because if someone doesnt like it they obviously arent going to go get RP's and buy it. it is almost like gambling if you will like the character or not. also the more money they get = more characters and hopefully in the near future new maps so im happy either way. the feedback would help but they would lose quite a bit of money

Huy3n

01-18-2011

or we could have some champion picks that follows the rules you just said and we could input a new vote system for players who does not have enough money to buy every champion that seems interesting to them and they could vote and the most popular vote of the week gets to be picked.

buttcheeks

01-18-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinfulHope View Post
this is the only thing that i personally see as the only problem...

imo i think New/Upcoming Champs should always be free the week they are released
for the simple reason of balance...

i mean think about it, lets say udyr wasn't free the week he was released that means only a few who either had extra IP and or bought him with RP would have played him, and thus

only a small portion of the community would have been able to give feed back on him...

cause i mean lets face it only reason udyr was even brought up was because he was free the week he was released and a ton of players played him and gave the feedback on him,

just my 2 cents on the subject =p
you know a new champ will be released and when, so why not just save up the IP instead? they want some exclusivity instead of everyone running around as the new champ getting wtfpwnt because they suck and can't play someone other than ashe.

Zekk Vadith

01-18-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotChris View Post
What pattern would you like to see? We're always open to constructive feedback.

We listen to player feedback on Champions to make free, and we introduce new Champions on a regular basis. Those two factors make it hard to have a set rotation that repeats every 8 weeks or so (which is I assume what you're implying about a pattern).

- RiotChris
The pattern I'd like to see is one that keeps everyone's best interests in mind, a poll should be taken by the top say 100 people in the latter rankings to classify what champions play what roles, tank, dps, support, etc. (lets face it, the character descriptions have good intent but after the champ is actually introduced and played its role is almost never what the Riot team intended). We take each champion into these pools and have them randomly picked every week. Each week a champion is not picked its name is tossed into the pool an extra time and when it is finally picked its name goes back in only once.
Now reading some but all of the posts on this thread many people were saying that new champions should be free the week they come out. This I think would be a poor idea from a marketing standpoint, sure the champion would get the feedback it needs but ultimately this game is here to make money and that is exactly why the champion is never free the first week they come out.

SmashMyBackdoor

01-18-2011

Are you able to have the champion rotations up maybe like a week before it actually happens? Because it would be a BIG help.