How we choose weekly free champions

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lady Gagaaaa

01-17-2011

please make ashe free riot, i really want to try her

DeathFromBrazil

01-17-2011

Twitch

DaGhost

01-17-2011

Ashe free every other week,

Sivir Free every two-three weeks

Zilean free every two-four weeks

New Champ free the week after release,if not the week after that.

CAN WE SWITCH THIS **** PATTERN

supermegafuerte

01-17-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotChris View Post
From time to time we get questions on how we chose weekly free champions. We rotate the Champions to keep the game fresh for those that haven't unlocked all the Champions.

Here is how we choose which ones are free:

Champion Rotation Goals
1) Give new players some simple Champions to play
2) Provide a balance of types of Champions for new players
-- This allows new players to make balanced teams
3) Allow players to preview all Champions eventually

Given these goals we look at player feedback, and decide which Champions should be free next week that allow us to meet these goals.

-------------------

Frequently Asked Questions:
Q Will new Champions always be free the first week?
A No, we will debut Champions that need to be unlocked, but eventually they will be free (see goal 3).

Q Will some Champions be free more often than others?
A Yes, because some Champions are simpler to play that others, and our first goal with the free Champion rotation is to allow new players simple Champions to try for their first games.

Q I don't think Alistar is a Tank
A Okay - not a question, but yes, thanks to our item system, Champions can be built different ways. That means many Champions can be played as different types (for example, as a Tank or Melee DPS). To keep things simple, we list only one type for each Champion in our statistics, but many of them can be played differently than the type we list.

Q Do the Champions rotate on the same day every week?
A No. We often synch the Champion rotation with the new content and patches we are releasing. Because we won't release the patches until they are done, this means they sometimes don't fall on the same day each week. This leads us to rotate our Champions on different days of the week to try and get even amounts of time between Champion rotations. This is also why we don't announce the exact date of the rotation.

I'll link to this post from the Champion rotation announcements to answer the questions that keep coming up. If there are more frequently asked questions, I'll post the answers here.

Thanks for all the requests for free Champions!

- RiotChris
All I'm asking is why Heimer is free every week. I bought him once, a long time ago, and he's been free like... every week since I bought him. Almost.

Ganjamus

01-17-2011

Where's this week's champion rotation? :|

T0MMY

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-17-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganjamus View Post
Where's this week's champion rotation? :|
tomorrow

alaphonse

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-17-2011

how did you write this

and have the time to eat the cookie

ssrly i want to know the magic behind this

Good Sir Weasle

01-17-2011

I'm curious if theres an attempt at making certain types of champions free each week, e.g. a tank, a caster, a dps...etc.

Egduj

01-17-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herborist View Post
So there's no pattern to it? It's all completely random?

I resent Riot every day a little more.
He got downvoted.

So will I.

Mysterage

01-17-2011

Personally, I think we should have one of the recommended heroes at least every week, INCLUDING some of the more expensive ones such as Caitlynn, Miss Fortune, etc. Also have at least one of all of the basic kinds of class (Mage, Tank, etc.) and then every couple weeks or so throw out one of the more difficult kinds (Assassins) for newer players to get a taste of them. I don't think a new hero should be free the very same week they are released, but should be the next week so that those who bought them the 1st week can get their time in to have fun, then everyone else gets to get their meat hooks into them, run them through the wringer, etc. Lastly, we should have at least one of the rarest heroes once a month, IE Trundle, or LeBlanc so they can be tested by the players for balance. Hope this input helps.