How we choose weekly free champions

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Atzigan

04-09-2012

Brass Balls of Steel! Too many tanky champions Riot! They'll swarm the game! o.O NO BUENO! make the squishies free lol. Time to gear up with armor pen

Aram Ziotoxe

04-09-2012

Where's Nidalee ?!?!?!?!?
No love Riot =(

xCh3wyy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-09-2012

Put twitch on free list i have never seen him free

hordehoarder

04-09-2012

I think that a new champion should not be out on market the first rotation after it comes but 1 or 2 weeks later ( for marketing purposes ). Though all players should have 1-3 free games with that champion.

-hordehoarder

xRyuK01

04-09-2012

Nah, if they put the released champ in the first week of release, everyone will use him/her and they are going to see if the champ is good or not, or if they like him/her or not, and they will lose a lot of money doing that, it's better to release the champ, a lot of people will buy it to see how he is, then the second week they put him/her free and the ones that didnt buy him/her will use the champ, and if they like it, they will buy it, and Riot is going to make a lot of money.

"Marketing Strategy"

Maybe i'm wrong and they have their strategy, but this is what i think.

drippyD

04-09-2012

Like u said earlier you like to keep everything thing even, but when the times comes and I have enough IP to purchase a new champ I'd like to try out several of the same type so I can choose the one I like most. Do you think it would be possible to have a week once a month where you place champs of the same type in together?

Lü Bu IV

04-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotChris View Post
What pattern would you like to see? We're always open to constructive feedback.

We listen to player feedback on Champions to make free, and we introduce new Champions on a regular basis. Those two factors make it hard to have a set rotation that repeats every 8 weeks or so (which is I assume what you're implying about a pattern).

- RiotChris

I dont have a problem with the sequence of free to play champions, but i think that you should make champions free to play the first week they come out. For ex. Lulu the recently released champion didn't look that appealing to me until my friend let me play her on his account. I then bought lulu be cause she is a fun champion to play. But now you are releasing hercarim and varus (i played hercarim on the PBE client) but i want to see how varus plays. I am seriously considering buying him when he comes out but i want to try him first because i love ap/ad carry's but i want to see if he is worth the 63000ip/975rp

DuelyDeciesive

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

04-09-2012

So yeah.. evelyn won't be free til some time after the eventual stealth fix?

Should only take as long as diablo 3 to come out since original announcement

Chenw123

04-10-2012

I've noticed a pattern. Every time a new champion is released, it becomes free 2 rotations/weeks later. I've noticed this happen to many new champion releases. Just 2 weeks ago was the release of Lulu. I always wait two weeks later to try out the new champion and reconsider my thoughts in buying them.

TBG RomeFreak

Recruiter

04-10-2012

FRee KeNNeN WeeK WHeRe?