How we choose weekly free champions

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SunnyDiglett

Recruiter

12-22-2010

I kinda wish vladirmir was in the rotations for a good reason. My friend ALWAYS freaks out about a game if he messes up and then gets mad at me and its not fun. He wants to buy vladimir but he costs 6300 ip. (we dont buy riot point unfortunatly)I dont want him to get all mad if vladirmir sucks so thats why i want him to try it when its free and if he likes him he can buy him. thats just my 2 cents even though truly it doesnt matter

P.S: We both also think vladimir is pretty cool looking which is why he wants to get him.

Kenzosib

12-23-2010

i hate garena !!!!!! i hate to play asia server ... the arranging game time went to 10 mins or more ... no one play LOL in asia ....

Westfallx

12-27-2010

what time is the new rotation?

King Roofus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-27-2010

While i think doing easy people and making it even by putting 2 tanks and dps and all that i believe that we need to have 1 or 2 easy to play characters and then just some that haven't been played in a while. I really want to play as Kog Maw and Udyr and a bunch of people that are supposidly hard but if you only play easy characters you'll never get better. if that makes sense.

King Roofus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-27-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by imMara View Post
Less like feedback, more of a suggestion. I think new champs should be free for the first day when they come out. That way we don't have to spend our hard earned IP on a champ we might end up not liking.
I somewhat disagree. If they did that then everytime a new champion came out it would screw up their plans for the week. That is if they play the champions the week before or something. New characters should be free within the first couple weeks still.

Audhulma

12-27-2010

Gonna have to say that you guys keep using some of the same friggin champions every other week and its gettin old... At the very least back a few months ago it was reliably ashe and trist rotating every other week, but everybody else was pretty fresh... but now we keep getting zilean, morganna and taric just to name the ones off the top of my head. Like every other week, no kidding. Originality on the rotations would be very much appreciated.

MonkeySLaughter

12-29-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audhulma View Post
Gonna have to say that you guys keep using some of the same friggin champions every other week and its gettin old... At the very least back a few months ago it was reliably ashe and trist rotating every other week, but everybody else was pretty fresh... but now we keep getting zilean, morganna and taric just to name the ones off the top of my head. Like every other week, no kidding. Originality on the rotations would be very much appreciated.
agree with that :O

+1

Mugol123

12-29-2010

can you guys please stop making kennen free every 2 weeks? i mean i buy him for a reason... make guys like kog or corki or swain and Irelia available more often.

Veselchuna

12-29-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotChris View Post
What pattern would you like to see? We're always open to constructive feedback.

We listen to player feedback on Champions to make free, and we introduce new Champions on a regular basis. Those two factors make it hard to have a set rotation that repeats every 8 weeks or so (which is I assume what you're implying about a pattern).

- RiotChris
When the new champion is introduced every 2 weeks that is a pattern which u can implement in the champion rotation. Here is my suggestion for the pattern:

Lets say we should have 10 free heroes:
- 1 of them is the new hero, introduced 1 week ago
- 2 of them are chosen by the community with a vote in the forums
- 7 of them are chosen by riot after those 3 heroes are picked, these 7 heroes are to balance out the whole bunch so all 10 heroes are balanced for the new players.

well that's it, I hope I was of help

Cableguystan

12-30-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneoftheorder View Post
So far I believe every new champion has been rotated in the week of their release; I will be surprised to see if/when this fails to occur, unless more than 10 champions are released (in some kind of Great Week of Awesome.) Making the new champion free entices people to want them in the future (if they like how the character plays), and perhaps more importantly (except from a marketing standpoint), encourages enough play of the character to ensure a great deal of statistical data for quick balancing following their introduction. I hope that barring unusual circumstances, new characters are always free for a week (I could see keeping them in for their first 2 weeks making sense even.)

Beyond that, I think balance (across roles/types of champions rotated in a given week), variety, and relative uniformity (no champion should go for an exceptionally long time w/o being available relative to others) are all that really matters. While it's true that the free champions of a given week are most likely to be played by those new to the champions, and thus in some cases, more likely to feed, there is no where else for players to learn those champions, so I think the only thing to do here is trust to the matchmaking system to work out reasonable teams more or less, and trust to individuals to make balanced choices of characters within the lobby.
Bring on the Week of awesome