How we choose weekly free champions

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xzander777

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-22-2011

i completely agree with new champions being rotated the week they come out... it helps me decide whether or not i should buy them, for example if i wanted to buy yorick and afterwards i didnt like playing him there would be no way to 'sell' him if i had played him the week he was introduced i would be able to get a taste of him to see if i like him or not... thus i strongly believe that riot should rotate champions the week they are posted, and i hope everyone agrees with me.

Rahgar

06-22-2011

Why does a year-old thread continue to be bumped so often...?

IHitFatal

06-22-2011

Can riot fix this because i get extremely annoyed when im vsing the same champion that i chose. When a champion is picked on one side the other side cannot choose it just for that game..

Litewarior

06-22-2011

Play draft mode.

The Souler

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-22-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotChris View Post
What pattern would you like to see? We're always open to constructive feedback.

We listen to player feedback on Champions to make free, and we introduce new Champions on a regular basis. Those two factors make it hard to have a set rotation that repeats every 8 weeks or so (which is I assume what you're implying about a pattern).

- RiotChris
I have an idea about the rotation for when new champions come out, that I believe requires some thought, if not fulfillment:

You guys as I've figured give no special treatment to players regardless of how much money they give you, yet every time there is a new champion you say that he won't be free at least that week in respect of those who have bought him already. Now, those who don't pay to buy those heroes, including people who regularly buy RP, but they won't waste their money just because there is a new hero, until they actually play him and know what he/she is like, they will have a great disadvantage, as you can't really play well against or with a champion that you know nothing about (the descriptions outside of the game on the new champion's spells are barley of any help until you see them in action and "feel" how they work, especially since there are no descriptions of passive abilities, which is a huge flaw but that's a different topic). So basically a lot of people will be forced to buy them or lose games for a while, because the only people that will know those champions are those that have them, so we would either have to buy every champion with RP, which is ridiculous, or we would have to save up a lot of IP, which is even more ridiculous, just to see what a champion is like. (another flaw is that you only keep making new champions that are 4800+ IP I don't remember the last time there was a cheaper champion...) So even if we don't like the new champion, in order to know how to play against/with him/her we need to buy them. And that is a great and unjust flaw. So my suggestion is that you make every new champion free the first week when they come out, and announce that they will be free. That way everyone will know what the hero is like, and if they want to buy them or not, with RP or otherwise. At least you should give it some thought, or perhaps find a better way of correcting this, in my opinion, flaw. And no, as amusing as they are Phreak's champion spotlights don't really help, since in them he just tells us the same thing the spell descriptions tell us, he brags on his skill by showing us moments of the game he is most proud of, not really helping even those who own the champion... He does tell us the champion's passive, but as I've said you still won't really understand that champion until you play him/her, and being forced to buy a champion simply to see him/her is unjust.

McPopo

06-22-2011

i hope you guys make 6300's more available in free champion weeks because they are too expensive to buy and some of us wanna try them.

Octo pie

Recruiter

06-22-2011

Good champ rotation this week. I hope next week we can see Cassiopeia and maybe Kassadin

zoody2011

06-22-2011

WE WAN'T " VLADIMIR " for next weekly free champions. " VLADIMIR " " VLADIMIR " " VLADIMIR "

" VLADIMIR " " VLADIMIR " " VLADIMIR " " VLADIMIR " " VLADIMIR " " VLADIMIR " " VLADIMIR "

Hiicantpk

06-22-2011

The last Free Champion Rotation that had Akali in it was January 24th
The last Free Champion Rotation that had Gragas in it was at the end of February.
The last Free Champon Rotation for Eve was October 2010 (Thank god ._.)
Karma was last free at the end of March
Lux was last free at the end of march
Pantheon was last free in January
Poppy was last free at the end of march
Shaco was last seen NOVEMBER 30th!!
Trundle was last seen free at the end of Feb
Trynd was last free mid-Feb
TF was last free in January
Twitch was last free at the end of march
Vlad was last free in January (Thank god ._.)

There has also been 3 or 4 champs from the April 5th rotation that have not been free since.

Akali, Cass, Eve, Gragas, Karma, Lux, Nidalee, Olaf, Pantheon, Poppy, Shaco, Trundle, Tryndamere, Twisted Fate, Twitch, Vladimir.

I have never/not in a long time seen a free week for these champions (I joined around week 37), and I believe they deserve a chance in the spotlight asap:

So riot, what do you think of these characters? Are they not good enough to be put out for free wek or what?

DreamOfNightmare

06-22-2011

That was really helpful information so thanks for your help