Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

How we choose weekly free champions

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MetalShaper

06-14-2011

You tend to rotate other champions less often then others. All the interesting Champions that people want like Vladimir, Evelynn, Malzahar, and Karthus are rarely seen in the rotation.

Drakanas

06-14-2011

they're rarely on rotation because those are the big money makers for riot games. People buy karthus like crazy for his ult, why would he be free as often as other characters when he's the most bought champion along with Ezrael, Anivia and Vlad.

Pelican Jesus

06-14-2011

I think the reason Vlad, Eve and Shaco are never free is because they are "anti-fun" champions. That is,, they aren't necessarily OP, but they are no fun to play against, so they don't make them free to discourage people from playing them.

(I just threw the Shaco one in there, mainly Vlad and Eve are the problems)

SNSD YoonSic

Recruiter

06-14-2011

I would like to see Vlad and Malzahar in the free ones because im planning on buying Mal but have never tried him since the day i started

Jocular

06-14-2011

A slight inconvenience such as not being able to play all the champions all the time is a small price to pay for an essentially free game. Riot has to balance the communities happiness with their profit margin, otherwise they'd be out of business and no one would be happy.

Great game that's essentially free? I have no complaints.

MrBrowny

06-14-2011

Another awful rotation week. Despite the fact that some higher cost champs like Vlad, Anivia, and Cass are never seen, there are plenty of other champs to put on rotation. For instance, last week Heim, Caitlyn, and Alistar were up AGAIN. And this week? Cho, Mao Kai, and Miss Fortune are on rotation for like the 4th time in a row. (By "in a row" I mean that they are champs put up every OTHER week consecutively, since no champ is up twice.)

Like, what happened to Udyr? Or Akali, Shaco, Lux, and LeBlanc? The same goes for Pantheon, Nidalee, Trundle, and Taric! I can understand showing champs only briefly but it's almost cruelty to continue recycling the same champs over and over again. Wouldn't it make more sense to let the "free to play" players samples of champs that aren't on rotation as often? So if they like the champ, they can buy him? If a player hasnt played Vlad or Udyr because they haven't been up in months, then who is going to buy them?

Buzzguy19

06-14-2011

Quote:
RiotChris:
From time to time we get questions on how we chose weekly free champions. We rotate the Champions to keep the game fresh for those that haven't unlocked all the Champions.

Here is how we choose which ones are free:

Champion Rotation Goals
1) Give new players some simple Champions to play
2) Provide a balance of types of Champions for new players
-- This allows new players to make balanced teams
3) Allow players to preview all Champions eventually

- RiotChris

I already posted a thread about this but i have a great idea of the Riot Staff choosing 15-20 champions then players vote.The top 10 champions with the most votes get to be free.

Jewlean Mykillz

06-14-2011

Trundle hasn't been free for the past couple of months... I want to try him out before I buy him, but I am slowly losing interest. So much for letting players preview every champion.

Dunsparcer

06-14-2011

How about Cassiopeia? I've been thinking about buying her for awhile in RP but I'm unsure of how she'll be like. The Champion spotlight video on Youtube didn't persuade me enough :/.

DontFeedMeGG

06-14-2011

I don't see why some people are so gung-ho about the free champion selection, for me, it gives me an oppertunity of what to expect to be facing for that period of time and to plan my counters on them.