How we choose weekly free champions

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

5nowman

06-01-2011

Hey!
Can we have Vladimir in a rotation soon?? I want to get some riot points to buy him but would be keen to try him first !,
Cheers

exzor

06-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotChris View Post
What pattern would you like to see? We're always open to constructive feedback.

We listen to player feedback on Champions to make free, and we introduce new Champions on a regular basis. Those two factors make it hard to have a set rotation that repeats every 8 weeks or so (which is I assume what you're implying about a pattern).

- RiotChris
i think that you guys should make new champions first for balance issues...the only pple that get the new champion are people with riot points and influence points there-fore causeiong a balance issue +i think that feed back would be presented much more quickly...

Elementalos

06-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotChris View Post
What pattern would you like to see? We're always open to constructive feedback.

We listen to player feedback on Champions to make free, and we introduce new Champions on a regular basis. Those two factors make it hard to have a set rotation that repeats every 8 weeks or so (which is I assume what you're implying about a pattern).

- RiotChris
Ideally? I think the superbasic champions should be kept to a minimum. One of each really. Trying to balance the rest of the champions and put weirder/less straight forward champions in on at least a semi-regular basis seems like a good idea ( i.e. I think this rotation with blitz/swain/singed/morgana/etc. is much better than last week's mundo/ashe/kennen/etc. ).

I have to agree with the "new champions F2P when released" sentiment. Some people argue it costs Riot money, I disagree. People who like the champion will still buy her to play her. If there's any glaring imbalance in one way or another, having a wider initial sample will help catch that more quickly than just hoping enough people dump IP/RP on them.

Thirdly, I know a lot of players simply won't purchase a champion blindly. Orianna looks interesting, but none of my friends ( nor I ) are going to dump money on her before we get a chance to make sure she's worth it. This goes ditto for pretty much every other hero I've thought "this is cool" but haven't seen recently on the rotation ( or have been away when they've been on the rotation, but that's just tough luck for me )

Though for the third I think there'd be some incentive to look to expand options beyond a simple random rotation, like allowing the "random select" option in champion selection t draw from the entire champion pool rather than owned/free champions. Or allowing users to demo a champion for a day or two every new rotation ( but only once per season per champion ). Though I guess the latter is exploitable by smurfing and might be detrimental.

Karma97

06-01-2011

i thank u riot games for putting 2 of my favorite characters this week (lee sin, blitzcrank) but i think u can put up more of the character that are usually not used by the summoners like maybe evelyn, shaco, and vladimir and ect. but plz dont make it so they spam 1 character

RyukTheDestroyer

06-01-2011

What Do you guys think about say 4 of the ten champions are easy "normal" champions such has ashe etc.
2 of the ten are tanks or support or maybe 2 tank 2 support
then 2-4 champions be the rarer less seen champions such has twitch or cass
and between the 4 normal and 4 less seen champions you guys could balance the melee/ranged AD/AP
part of it.
It just seems better to me that the rarer champions come out free more so more people can see what they are like and maybe even buy them.

Curaga

Recruiter

06-02-2011

so does is each season 52 weeks?

Rallknight

06-02-2011

hello

Dari Ra

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-02-2011

To everyone who is hating on the "New Champs aren't free the week their released" and all who say they should be for a marketing boost. In reality, By not making the Champs Free they generate more revenue, by forcing players like me who often buy the champs the week they come out to buy a potentially useless champ. I mean think of this:

If you play say Orianna when she came out for free, and didn't like her style of play, you won't buy her. However, if you don't get her for free, and are curious about her play style and believe it may work for you, then you have to either Buy her, or wait til she hits free rotation, which in turn could take months, granting enough time for you to forget about her.

Basically, what i'm saying is that Not making them free is a Marketing Scheme to provoke people to be "Hey a new champ with a New Play Style, buy, ah this style [insert Rocks or Sucks here]" VS Hey a new champ who is free this week with a new Play Style, Plays them, Ah, this style [Rocks/Sucks], I'll [Insert Buy/ Skip] this Champ."

The current system also makes it where Skin Collectors (and don't say they don't exist they do, I often buy a champ just for the skins i can get with them.) Are more prone to purchase them instead of someone they already know and play well. As described below:

"Hey, a new Champ. with A discounted Skin Bundle, hmm i only have enough money to buy the bundle or buy the skins for my favorite champ." "Oh she's free this week, I'll play her and see if i like her, if not i can wait til after i have all of the skins for the people i actually like."

VS

"Hey, a new Champ with a Discounted skin bundle. Hmm i only have enough money for the bundle or for my favorite champs' skins. Well, she's not free this week but how long will i actually be able to get this bundle. Guess I can wait on getting skins for [insert a few champions names here] , and go ahead and get her finished off since she's free." *plays her* "Oh, i shouldn't of bought her, shes instantly on the bottom of my list of favorite champs" or *plays her* "Oh, i'm glad i bought her while she was cheap, I love her style of play totally worth waiting on getting [insert champions name here] skins."

As you can see i detailed TWO arguments for the current system, however there are more arguments for the system, just as there are more arguments against the system. In this case it's my OPINION that the system is fine as is.
Signed,
Darith Raine. (A.K.A Dari Ra)

Destructoboy M

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-02-2011

i would rather they have everyone 10 votes each week and the 10 most voted heroes be available in the next week, or ATLEAST, 5 heroes this way, and 5 riot can choose for themselves.

Jeff04

06-02-2011

next week have twitch,tristana,galio,miss fortune,ezreal,kassadin,nunu,corki,orianna,viegar