How we choose weekly free champions

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

karadus

04-29-2010

Thanks for the info

drunkenvash

04-29-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinfulHope View Post
this is the only thing that i personally see as the only problem...

imo i think New/Upcoming Champs should always be free the week they are released
for the simple reason of balance...

i mean think about it, lets say udyr wasn't free the week he was released that means only a few who either had extra IP and or bought him with RP would have played him, and thus

only a small portion of the community would have been able to give feed back on him...

cause i mean lets face it only reason udyr was even brought up was because he was free the week he was released and a ton of players played him and gave the feedback on him,

just my 2 cents on the subject =p

I think it's a great idea that new champions require unlocking rather than be free the 1st week, that way people who really are intrested and would like to play him have to unlock it and spend ip or buy it with rp. This way the company can profit from the 1st week and get feedbacks from those who were really looking foward to the new champion.

ColeWinters

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-29-2010

Riot is consumer driven, just like blizzard and other companies providing a product to consumers. In order to make money from the consumer the company has to employ supply and demand tactics.

Making the new champion free on the first week would lower the sales of the champion and bundles, therefore decreasing profit for Riot. Also, if the champ is free on the first week, players who puchased the new champion would have great difficulty suceeding in selecting the new champion in Champion select. This leads to queue dodging, which wastes everyones time.

Also, to address comments that they need to increase the amount of free champions each week, I would also like to point out that Riot sells bundles of champions, So again, it would decrease profit if they increased the amount of free champs.

I think riot does a good job of mixing up the new champs, as the players that benefit most from the free champs are new players. Level 30 more experienced players usually already own a few champions they have already purchased.

Last but not least, Its good to have 6000+ IP champs free less often, because it increase desire of payers to "save" up for them, and purchase them. If they were free every week no one would be motivated to buy them.

-C

FrozenArrows

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-01-2010

when is twich or garen going to be out?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!

yoshirulz

05-04-2010

Having champs free on the week they come out would be horrifyingly bad. I mean even when they champs are T3 priced in ip there are a massive amount of crybaby queue dodgers that leave queue just because they didnt get the new champ, which in turn leads to having to wait 20 mins to get a game that actually makes it through. This happened with Garen real bad.

h0B0

05-09-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubbz View Post
If you want to hate something for not having a pattern, hate the lottery :P
lottery has a pattern. me not winning is the pattern.

Genexi

05-09-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenArrows View Post
when is twich or garen going to be out?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!
Garen is coming out next week.

Juisred

Recruiter

05-10-2010

Hm...I would like to try Shaco...just saying.
Some champions commonly considered OP might not be great choices, as that could cause friction between people in places...anyways...

Also, I know this is off-topic, but (in my opinion) there should be some sort of sellback to the store or trade champions or trade IP between players (e.g. so if I have a lot of IP, I can "lend" some of it to my friend, who just started and fell in love with [insert champion]). Just my opinion, so if you disagree, then feel free to criticize me. Just don't crit. me......

ƒ 2M dt

05-10-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grake View Post
Fact is, im suprised they dont stick us with 5 **** heroes permenently, and make you pay to try new ones. Be glad they implemented this system.
As someone who paid to buy riot points, I would love to see that happen.

Anabiel

05-10-2010

um since when does it give all champions eventually? kennen was out for 1 week and more than a month later hes still not free, i bought him but if he was free 1 more week i would of had the ip along time ago since hes my best champion, but i think the more expensive champions, IE karthus anivia corki etc. should be free more often since they cost 6300 ip and most games only get u 100 ip, meening 63 normal games later u finaly have him