Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

How we choose weekly free champions

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BuH4ecTeP

Recruiter

04-06-2011

Hm, I'm pretty satisfied, but, for example, I haven't seen Shaco for a long time...

cdstephens

04-06-2011

Wasn't Cho just recently free? Wtf.

Also, making Tris free is just stupid since anyone can get her through Facebook.

Wonder Wafflez

Recruiter

04-06-2011

Quote:
SinfulHope:
this is the only thing that i personally see as the only problem...

imo i think New/Upcoming Champs should always be free the week they are released
for the simple reason of balance...

i mean think about it, lets say udyr wasn't free the week he was released that means only a few who either had extra IP and or bought him with RP would have played him, and thus

only a small portion of the community would have been able to give feed back on him...

cause i mean lets face it only reason udyr was even brought up was because he was free the week he was released and a ton of players played him and gave the feedback on him,

just my 2 cents on the subject =p

If they did this though they would lose a large profit on the week that character came out. Just think about it, to play the new character that a lot of people are excited about it they will have to buy it which will give them a good amount of money, compared to if they make the champion free that week where then the players can use him in custom games, reg games, etc and get a feel for the character on whether or not he's bad or good, which then would make them lose a large sum of money because some customers may be turned away if he's hard to play/underpowered/etc. It's a smart marketing way to make people buy it without knowing what they jump into (even if they show how the champion works with the video, most of the time when we first play them they are either underpowered or overpowered [Ex. Lee Sin vs. Nocturne]) Anyways they usually let you play the new champ the second week he has been out, which is good enough imo.

Inoue Konoha

04-06-2011

Honestly, I think that the free champion rotation is completely fine. There are always bad players, and when a lot of the more expensive champions are free the people who are actually good at playing the expensive champions get frustrated because they get locked out of their preferred champion (which they actually spent time - either in game or IRL to earn the IP / money used to buy RP - to get). It's not like Annie or Shen aren't fine choices when playing, and there should probably be one (probably not two though I could be wrong) free 6300 IP champion every week (or something like that) to allow players to try them out, but if you really wanted that champion you would just save up for it (at least in my opinion).

There IS the issue of rune pages that we need to attend to as well (which vies for our attention, IP-wise), and the repetition of some of the champions gets a little excessive. (Cho'Gath, I'm looking at you... do you like eating minions or something, why are you available to novice summoners every other or so week...), but I think that because League of Legends is a 70~ champion game and they're obviously going to let the players play with easier (and inexpensive) champions (that they are able to save up and buy in a short amount of time... that's kind of the point of the rotation), they're going to obviously space out the 6300 IP champions with regard to any individual champion's frequency of appearance.

It's not wrong to like a 6300-IP champion (I liked Blitzcrank from the outset of me playing the game even before trying him, lul), but if you really wanted to play that champion that badly just spend the IP (or the RP to support the company, even better) and ignore your rune page for a bit (or you know, support the company and keep your rune page updated).

imfeelnlucky

04-06-2011

Quote:
SinfulHope:
this is the only thing that i personally see as the only problem...

imo i think New/Upcoming Champs should always be free the week they are released
for the simple reason of balance...

i mean think about it, lets say udyr wasn't free the week he was released that means only a few who either had extra IP and or bought him with RP would have played him, and thus

only a small portion of the community would have been able to give feed back on him...

cause i mean lets face it only reason udyr was even brought up was because he was free the week he was released and a ton of players played him and gave the feedback on him,

just my 2 cents on the subject =p

Imo, its still a business, they have to meet thier overhead somehow. And not making the new champs free the week they come out helps them generate money via rp. That plus the skins they sell on top of that.

PinkSwordmen

04-06-2011

just let out the new champions after the week they come out its that simple

PinkSwordmen

04-06-2011

i wonder if they can make a champion that can kill the tower were we come nack to life

DeaD Ware

04-06-2011

WHERE┬┤s is the vladimir please please vladimir free to week 40 please please please please please i neeed the vladimir pleasepleaseplease

Rykarean

04-06-2011

Riot why are all the new champs 6300 IP i dont think ive seen a new champ 3150 or under in a loooong time could you please realease a champ a little more cheaper than 6300 Lee Sin would have been a good champ to realease under 6300 since hes not very good just a thought because not all of us have time to spend all day playing lol to get 6300 IP

Cruella

04-06-2011

Thanks for the info :]