How we choose weekly free champions

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

xXYoungStunnaXx

03-11-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubbz View Post
If you want to hate something for not having a pattern, hate the lottery :P
lolol

Tomrastus

03-11-2011

I thought of an idea that might alleviate all the frustration with who they draft per week. Hows about this. Along with those heroes they pick for the duration, you get a certain amount of freebies you can use to choose any hero you want (say 2 or so). This would allow people to try out a hero they really wanted without needing to wait 8 weeks to test before buying.

Feleon

03-11-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJackalMan View Post
I personaly think that the weekly free champion rotation should regularly be rotated as the name implies, weekly. And as posted above, new champs should be rotated in the week they're released. I'm thinking rotate schedule should start Thursday night/Friday morning. That way the new rotation starts on the high traffic time , at least I'd think, of Friday - Sunday. That way you get the champ feedback fresh for the next work week. Also, since patch/content drops can be Tuesday or Wednesday and you can use that for marketing purposes: " Purchase the new champ with IP or RP and access them before they're rotated in!". Theres my 2 cents
So a new champ is released Friday Morning when new weekly champs come, and is a free champ right away. Next week they make another champ, but are unable to finish patch til Saturday, so they have to change free champs a day late, change it twice, or not have new champ a free one. You can't ask for both weekly champs and new champs always being free right away. Though if I had to pick I'd say new champs free right away or players are forced to buy champs they don't know they will enjoy playing. Some champs sound cool, but the playstyle isn't for you even though you though it was, so you end up getting bored and feeling like you wasted money or something unless you decide to wait til it is free, and you don't always know how long a wait that will be.

RedGasu

03-14-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotChris View Post
What pattern would you like to see? We're always open to constructive feedback.

We listen to player feedback on Champions to make free, and we introduce new Champions on a regular basis. Those two factors make it hard to have a set rotation that repeats every 8 weeks or so (which is I assume what you're implying about a pattern).

- RiotChris
i would like to see like characters that havenet came out in the rotation lately like olaf

Fixxius22

03-14-2011

Do you guys ever consider the overall power of some champions? Until this upcoming patch, Sona has been considered as a farely weak champion in comparison to others. Katarina has been showing signs of strength. There are champions you don't really see anymore like Corki, or Cassiopeia (atleast from my gameplay). Also, do you ever intend on allowing a free champion that is a great counter for another free champion? Examples are Mundo to champions that have healing regeneration debuffs like Katarina or Tristana, champions with focused cast time spells like Galio or Nunu with champions with abilities that will cancel them short, like Malzahar, Cho'Gath, Xin Zhao, etc?

Skotteh420WEW

03-14-2011

My only feedback would be to increase the number of free champions. With the rate you're adding new ones the base 10 free seems a little short in comparison to how many are actually available.

SupremeGod

03-14-2011

Am I the only1 who has noticed that Twitch hasn't been free since Season 1 started?
Well,except the bonus when all champs were free

Sarelith

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-14-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixxius22 View Post
Also, do you ever intend on allowing a free champion that is a great counter for another free champion?
Just came out of Swain + MF/GP/Tristana week
Felt bad man, felt bad

Birdmus

03-14-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupremeGod View Post
Am I the only1 who has noticed that Twitch hasn't been free since Season 1 started?
Well,except the bonus when all champs were free
He was free about a month ago.

4death4

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

03-14-2011

Is there any way we can influence the rotation?

Maybe make threads each week, with a few certain carries/tanks/supports on the vote list.

:^\