Why do people consider gunblade on kat, bad?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

kuroshini

10 Hours Ago

I mean really....max w first for csing fast, gunblade has both LS and SV, w and ult benefit from it. it gives you great sustain (hp, not dmg), which is extremely necessary to have on a squishy assassin.
on top of that, it has a fantastic ult. i genuinely have secured probably 15 of my last 35 kills in my past 2 games as kat, using the active.

BESIDES securing kills, it helps save time by slowing the person, allowing you to run until your cd's are up.

i understand that it's an "old kat" build, but i have been playing kat (consistently) as a main since halfway through season 2, and have not once NOT been successful with it if i'm not hard countered by a team full of cc.

i understand that building higher ap items allows for "more burst", but your q and e are the only skills that are ONLY ap on kat. both w and r benefit from it, and gain decent damage because of it.
plus it helps push towers and inhibs a little, which is nice

i have just yet to see how it could possibly be bad on her.

background info: ive never looked up any build for kat. i basically made my build by myself, based on what i feel she needs.

standard build is: gunblade, sorc boots, liandrys, rylais, zhonyas, and then leave the 6th item optional based on the opponent team comp. typically go GA if there's nothing i have to counter.

ps. typically max q first if i cant farm safely and need to poke as much as i can for cs. max w first if i need to get the **** out asap after using shunpo.
ie: q>e>w>run when laning against ahri so she doesnt tag you with her charm

Insípid

9 Hours Ago

Takes too long to build considering both recipe items suck dick on her. As a kat to plat last season and kat conoisseur from season 2, I still feel raw AP is best on her. Death cap->void/Zhonyas has never failed me. It doesnt really matter if her scaling sucks, building a ton of AP still gives her alot of damage.

*Also liandrys is horrible on kat. Haunting guise is fine enough. Don't turn a burst champ into a DoT DPS.

Edit: I agree with the maxing Q, good poke, also Kill secure snipes.

NotBuzzJack

9 Hours Ago

Because spellvamp on Kat is bad. If her opponents are alive long enough for her to need sustain then she jumped into a fight too early. Sure you could argue she benefits from lane sustain, but it's more effective to get health potions in that case as 3 of her 4 spells are AOE with terrible bases, save for her ult.

kuroshini

9 Hours Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ins*pid View Post
Takes too long to build considering both recipe items suck dick on her. As a kat to plat last season and kat conoisseur from season 2, I still feel raw AP is best on her. Death cap->void/Zhonyas has never failed me. It doesnt really matter if her scaling sucks, building a ton of AP still gives her alot of damage.

*Also liandrys is horrible on kat. Haunting guise is fine enough. Don't turn a burst champ into a DoT DPS.

Edit: I agree with the maxing Q, good poke, also Kill secure snipes.
dont you think deathcap takes way longer to build than gunblade? lol
i feel like hextech revolver is really necessary to keep yourself in lane, otehrwise you'll prob just get poked by most mages.

and i honestly dont build liandrys for the passive dot. the ap is nice, and so is the mp, but really love the hp it gives. the only other ap item i can think of that gives more hp other than rylais is roa, and thats useless since it has mana stats.

and too be fair, her ult is a dot, not burst

kuroshini

9 Hours Ago

let me note that I also used to build pure ap on kat. typically over 600 ap late game. however i felt like she really fell off late because she has no survivability. i couldn't carry games because i was dying faster than I could kill everyone. this is one of the major reasons why i changed my build to a higher sustain/tanky build from pure ap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotBuzzJack View Post
Because spellvamp on Kat is bad. If her opponents are alive long enough for her to need sustain then she jumped into a fight too early. Sure you could argue she benefits from lane sustain, but it's more effective to get health potions in that case as 3 of her 4 spells are AOE with terrible bases, save for her ult.
i suppose i can understand that. though it's still a noticeable amount imo.
perhaps i should give full ap another go and see how i perform. it's been awhile afterall. and i guess DFG replaces the dmg from the active of gunblade.

Insípid

9 Hours Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroshini View Post
i feel like hextech revolver is really necessary to keep yourself in lane, otehrwise you'll prob just get poked by most mages.

and i honestly dont build liandrys for the passive dot. the ap is nice, and so is the mp, but really love the hp it gives. the only other ap item i can think of that gives more hp other than rylais is roa, and thats useless since it has mana stats.

It is a burst lol, its a 2 second channel ( i think i havent touched kat this season). Also like i said, Gunblade is too expensive for the fact that you're useless until its finished.

I don't get poked by most mages cuz i roam as soon as i hit 6, prior to that I learn how to space, and harass. Usually starting boots 4 pots helps alot.

Rock298

9 Hours Ago

Quote:

The problem is it takes at least 2 seconds for Liandry's to actually do something effective. Kat's full combo should be unloaded before that happens, and then she just gets resets, and cleans up. That ~40-50 damage from Liandry's won't mean much.

The point is, yes, it's a DoT spell, but the DoT happens too quickly to justify Liandry's.

kuroshini

9 Hours Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ins*pid View Post
It is a burst lol, its a 2 second channel ( i think i havent touched kat this season). Also like i said, Gunblade is too expensive for the fact that you're useless until its finished.

I don't get poked by most mages cuz i roam as soon as i hit 6, prior to that I learn how to space, and harass. Usually starting boots 4 pots helps alot.
2 second channel spell is a dot. anything that does more damage over time, rather than all at once, is a dot. lol

i use tele on kat, and start playin aggressive at lvl 4. ill generally have at least one kill by level 4, whether its from my lane, or from teleganking bot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock298 View Post
The problem is it takes at least 2 seconds for Liandry's to actually do something effective. Kat's full combo should be unloaded before that happens, and then she just gets resets, and cleans up. That ~40-50 damage from Liandry's won't mean much.

The point is, yes, it's a DoT spell, but the DoT happens too quickly to justify Liandry's.
this is true. http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wik...ry%27s_Torment
even shows that its not gold efficient unless the passive is worth it.

in which case, there's no point in buying haunting guise, as liandrys is the only thing it builds into. so you replace this with void staff?

Rivenholt

9 Hours Ago

Quote:

The base stats on Liandry's are incredibly inefficient, and it's a misconception that DoTs are mutually exclusive with burst. Burst is defined by a short window of damage that makes fighting choppy, with downtime in between uses. Sustained damage has less downtime, so it can continue indefinitely.

kuroshini

9 Hours Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivenholt View Post
The base stats on Liandry's are incredibly inefficient, and it's a misconception that DoTs are mutually exclusive with burst. Burst is defined by a short window of damage that makes fighting choppy, with downtime in between uses. Sustained damage has less downtime, so it can continue indefinitely.
i suppose i could see that. though it depends on what game you're playing i would say. but that's OT.