Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Limited Edition Skins

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Incognito23

06-10-2014

Hello Riot,

I am writing this as an avid player of the game. I truly love this game and the more I play the more fond of it, and the more fun I have, I commend you guys on an amazing moba.

The reason I am writing this though is because it truly saddens me how the current model for limited time skins is handled. For example I have been dying (absolutely dying) to obtain the championship riven skin as I missed the minuscule window where it was available. I am the type of player that when I find a champ I enjoy I play them through and through and truly get satisfaction from being able to express variance via skins, this may sound weird but I enjoy changing my skins sometimes merely based on my mood. It is in a way a form of self expression.

The realty is unless your current model changes I will never be able obtain this one skin that I absolutely adore. I think the question of exclusivity and denying a huge portion of your player base needs to be considered. I understand the reasoning behind the decision but I truly feel the cons out way the pros in this case.

At the end of the day, I feel that people that missed out on a particular skin that they love for their favourite champion should be given the opportunity to obtain it. If not available 100% of the time, they should be brought back periodically to give people chances.

Let us even consider the decision from a bottom line perspective to the company, you guys are denying yourself a healthy revenue source, while I would never advocate making design decisions based solely on profit upsides, in this case I can not think of a valid reason as to how it could hurt the game if more people are able to obtain the skin the want. The skins could also be put at a price point that would still retain some elements of their exclusivity (ie maybe double? Triple? The price of a normal skin just as an example)

Let us even consider the fact that certain skins are so rare that they are almost non-existent. I'm sure the statistics for certain skins showing up in games is extremely small for certain skins which almost in a way denies the resources that were put into them. Personally if I was part off the design team that made some of these wonderful and truly amazing skins (ie art) I'd want to see them actually present in the game and have the player base enjoy the efforts that were put into making them.

Anyways I feel as if my small voice in this matter is helpless in a sense. I just hope that someone somewhere at riot truly takes the time to read this and someone that can make a decision on the matter takes (this email) to heart and truly considers the plethora of players who like myself are being denied (and feel denied) on obtaining these skins. I just can't even express how elated and filled with joy I would be if I was able to obtain that one specific skin and I am sure there are many others who share in my sentiment towards a particular skin they may hold dearly and currently are unable to purchase.

(originally an email, was informed to post it figured this was the most fitting section.....)

DarkHaitsu

06-10-2014

The reason why skins sometime go ''limited edition'' is for exclusivity. People like to feel like VIPs wearing a skin rarely seen or only available for a small period of time that will never come back.

There's actually the ''Legacy Vault'' where SOME skins actually goes on sale, they are qualified as ''Legacy skins'' and are discontinued ones or skins that weren't good enough to be kept on sale (Ex : Badger Teemo)

Rito games already tried to sell limited edition skins last year, selling them at halloween, christmas and other dates that doesn't matter at all. ALOT of players were angry that people could buy their precious skins they had paid for in the past while the others could pay them at a reduced price. So they gave them a vintage icon and RP refund on all the players who already had a limited edition skin. And if players want to keep their exclusivity, Rito games is not going to risk a riot (hue) again.

Incognito23

06-10-2014

See the issue was reducing the price where I suggested drastically increasing the price. Also in fairness I understand the whole exclusivity part, however to me its just a form of elitist mentality. I would never advocate putting earned skins (ie via ranked or any other avenue) back in the shop. However making certain skins that had no inherit criteria to attain other then spending money is not a good form of exclusivity.

Skins that should be exclusive are only ones you achieve via in game achievements any other skin is just ludicrous. Especially when you consider the free to play model this game implores. Other then the argument "haha I got it and you can't" there is no reasonable nor rational argument that can be made against bringing back these limited editions skins periodically and if anything increasing the price to compensate those that happened to pay at the right time (ie didn't actually do anything to "earn" the skin).

Why should people that missed out on the opportunity be shunned? Considering those that happened to purchase the skin when it was available did absolutely nothing to earn said skin, other then open their wallets at the "proper" time.

Also as you stated those "original" players that bought said skins at the right time were given other forms of exclusivity showing that they were original buyers. That is more then enough. Reducing the prices was a huge mistake however, increasing the prices and providing those players with the other tokens is more then enough compensation. Why deny a much bigger population that are yearning to "buy" (not earn) these skins, over the much smaller population of people that "bought" (not earned) the skins originally???

DarkHaitsu

06-10-2014

Because Riot games answers not to the normal majority, but the voice majority.

People who are okay with Limited time skins will just go ''Cool ! I'll just get some skins right away !'' without actually communicating it via comments or ingame chat. While people who are unhappy about theses will write lengthy paragraphs about how they aren't okay with this (http://na.leagueoflegends.com/en/news/store/sales/plan-vintage-limited-edition-skins). Even thought they are the minority, they seem to be the majority since only them can be heard over people who just leaves smalls comments like ''Oh yay !''.

Sad but true.

Incognito23

06-10-2014

Well in reality I am pretty sure they make decisions based on their own educated research and try to base said decisions to better the game on all fronts I am sure they take all feedback into account but at the end of the day feedback is just a tool they have at their disposal to help direct their decisions I highly doubt they cater to those that speak the loudest as you are implying.

At the end of the day I am just trying to spark some discussion on the matter. I have posed my position I would love to hear what other people have to contribute, if you agree great. If you disagree, even better I would love to read well-thought out logical reasons as to why you think it is a bad idea with sound supporting arguments. Heck maybe I am overlooking something.

The main argument that I have seen though against my proposed idea is that those people that happened to have good timing would feel "cheated" or somehow feel "entitled" over everyone else to have these skins. When in reality this is an obscene/ludicrous argument. Especially when you consider that the skins I am talking about weren't even "earned" via in-game achievements, rather simply "bought" at the "right" time. This is a very poor version of exclusivity.

If you want to highlight special skins for people it should SOLEY be based on in-game achievements ie reaching a certain rank, or any other in-game criteria.

Incognito23

06-11-2014

I would love to hear what other people think.

Gualt Leader

Recruiter

06-11-2014

The championships skins are meant to be bought by people that were around the in the season they were released- IE Riven S2 and Thresh S3. While I would love to get some of these skins, they were released for the short window of people who played in that season. You say they weren't earned, that is interesting seeing as how people who played in the said season would think much different considering they had to pay for them with money they earned, and that they played when the skin was brought out.

Incognito23

06-11-2014

I take it you didn't take the time to understand what I wrote. I said that those skins weren't "earned" in the sense that as you stated they were merely bought. So in other words they did nothing special in game to in essence "earn" these skins. They are not for example like the victorious skins which are in fact "earned" via in game achievements (ie reaching a certain rank). There is a monumental distinction between the two.

You are severely confusing what I meant when I opted to use the word "earn" and in what context I was using it. The point still stands those people did nothing but spend money which is a choice the player base has. Why then are people that are willing to also spend money (which they also earned in the context you are using) being denied ?

Note I am not remotely bringing up anything in regards to what people do or don't do to earn money in real life that is irrelevant to the points and topic I was trying to make.

The only skins that should retain true exclusivity are skins that people earned via >>IN-GAME<< achievements. So basically take the victorious skins as an example, those skins are given out to people that reach a certain level in ranked play. Those skins should NEVER re-circulate as the people that have those skins actually "earned" them via their in-game achievement.

This on the other hand is completely different then people spending their money at the right time. Just playing in a specific season or having good timing doesn't constitute any "achievement" in the context of the game.

Also if you are trying to somehow imply that by playing in said season is enough of an in-game "achievement" to warrant only those players having access to the skin than those skin should remain obtainable to all players that played during that season and shouldn't be relegated to such a small window to buy it. As you stated when you take into account real-life people that played during those specific season may have missed out on those small windows due to obligations they had in real life, does that mean they don't deserve it as much as the next person who just happened to have good timing? (The answer is NO)

SecretLore

06-11-2014

wait for the next championship,they said that championship riven might return in the future,I am sure that if they decide to bring championship riven back,then it'll be at the time when championship thresh returns(because championship thresh is a legacy skin and will return)

Incognito23

06-11-2014

Just curious where are you getting this information from? That sounds really good, I hope they decide to do that.