Health above Dragon/Baron

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TSM WiId Cat

Member

06-10-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excretus Maximus View Post
It's EXACTLY THE SAME as watching the portrait.
it's not, the portrait is in the top left, it's not as easily visible while maintaining your positioning and reacting to the situation at hand properly in a fight while baron is going down or a ward war etc. It also takes away from the skill factor difference of players who DON'T left click it as is, which is actually a large majority of players in low elo, and low elo makes up the large majority of players in this game.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TSM WiId Cat

Member

06-10-2014

Bump.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lasie

Senior Member

06-10-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSM WiId Cat View Post
I strongly agree with this, you guys made Curse Voice remove buff timers that a person can keep themselves, because it takes away a skill factor of what seperates good players from average players. Showing Baron or Dragons hp with numbers or distinct 1000 hp or 100 hp bars takes away from the skill of executing proper smites without a HUD similar to previous Curse Voice timers. it allows players to simply roughly guess far too accurately compared to players who actually left click and skillfully watch the hp bar in the top left while also managing their positioning/actions in that situation. I wish you would take a firm stance and either remove the baron/dragon hp bar changes, or allow overlays/huds to do what Curse Voice did originally. I personally think, you took the right stance with Curse Voice, but this is a step backwards if you chose to follow through with this, and shows strong inconsistency with the Riot's views.
how is watching the hp bar a skill. I always pull up the hp bar of drake and baron whether or not I am jungle. because if I see a lee sin q come over the wall i want to know if I should stop attacking of try to rush it down. the skill is making decisions based on your knowlage. not knowing it.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ooOmegAaa

Senior Member

06-10-2014

i think it removes some fake difficulty. why should junglers be forced to look at two different portions of a screen in a place where game making team fights often happen?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RiotForScience

Senior Environment Artist

06-10-2014
2 of 2 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorbo01 View Post
I don't know for sure, but from what I saw it looks like it's like a champion health bar, not the specific numbers.

@ RiotForScience, could get some clarity on that?

It is visible in a Spanish language walk-through that was posted Yesterday. It is an actual numeral above the health-bar of Baron and Dragon.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dustogrei

Junior Member

06-10-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster View Post
There's a lot more skill to it than you are considering. The numbers being EXACTLY over where you are already focusing makes it super easy mode.

It's not even a thing anymore, i can just see everything i need all in the exact same camera location, without even changing where my eyes glance, at all. It dumbs it down a very great deal, and honestly i don't understand how anyone can even be making the argument that it wouldn't remove any skill from the game. Why would anyone want it changed if it didn't make it easier for some, and therefore by definition removing a learned skill.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSM WiId Cat View Post
I strongly agree with this, you guys made Curse Voice remove buff timers that a person can keep themselves, because it takes away a skill factor of what seperates good players from average players. Showing Baron or Dragons hp with numbers or distinct 1000 hp or 100 hp bars takes away from the skill of executing proper smites without a HUD similar to previous Curse Voice timers. it allows players to simply roughly guess far too accurately compared to players who actually left click and skillfully watch the hp bar in the top left while also managing their positioning/actions in that situation. I wish you would take a firm stance and either remove the baron/dragon hp bar changes, or allow overlays/huds to do what Curse Voice did originally. I personally think, you took the right stance with Curse Voice, but this is a step backwards if you chose to follow through with this, and shows strong inconsistency with the Riot's views.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSM WiId Cat View Post
it's not, the portrait is in the top left, it's not as easily visible while maintaining your positioning and reacting to the situation at hand properly in a fight while baron is going down or a ward war etc. It also takes away from the skill factor difference of players who DON'T left click it as is, which is actually a large majority of players in low elo, and low elo makes up the large majority of players in this game.
After reading all the comments these two guys have the right idea. Some of you want to argue that it's not a skill, that it's just one left click, that your eyes having to travel to the top left and back doesn't take any effort, yet you all admit displaying the numbers directly is going to make it easier. That much is undeniable. And anything easier requires less skill, simple as that, so I really don't get how you guys want to try arguing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasie View Post
how is watching the hp bar a skill. I always pull up the hp bar of drake and baron whether or not I am jungle. because if I see a lee sin q come over the wall i want to know if I should stop attacking of try to rush it down. the skill is making decisions based on your knowlage. not knowing it.
You completely missed his part about watching the hp bar while ALSO also managing their positioning/actions in that situation. Your scenario doesnt include a 5 v 5 team fight where you need to dodge skillshots, position yourself, dps, help teammates, CC, etc. while also trying to steal the dragon. Also your argument that it's not a skill just because it comes naturally to YOU is silly. That doesn't mean everyone does it. See Wild Cat's comment on ELO.


My personal opinion is that smite-stealing should be challenging and satisfying. Just leave it the way it currently is on live.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

aceofsween

Senior Member

06-10-2014

There's no skill involved in clicking on a monster and reading it's health bar.

This change only helps. It makes information necessary for the game more visible to all parties involved.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

aceofsween

Senior Member

06-10-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSM WiId Cat View Post
I strongly agree with this, you guys made Curse Voice remove buff timers that a person can keep themselves, because it takes away a skill factor of what seperates good players from average players. Showing Baron or Dragons hp with numbers or distinct 1000 hp or 100 hp bars takes away from the skill of executing proper smites without a HUD similar to previous Curse Voice timers. it allows players to simply roughly guess far too accurately compared to players who actually left click and skillfully watch the hp bar in the top left while also managing their positioning/actions in that situation. I wish you would take a firm stance and either remove the baron/dragon hp bar changes, or allow overlays/huds to do what Curse Voice did originally. I personally think, you took the right stance with Curse Voice, but this is a step backwards if you chose to follow through with this, and shows strong inconsistency with the Riot's views.
The difference is that Curse Voice was an optional, 3rd party mod. This is a feature that everyone in the game will be able to use.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CupcakeTrap

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

06-10-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooOmegAaa View Post
i think it removes some fake difficulty. why should junglers be forced to look at two different portions of a screen in a place where game making team fights often happen?
Ah, this debate again: "annoying difficulty" vs. "interesting difficulty".

Yes, adding the numbers on the health meter would make it easier.

Currently, you have to left-click on baron and squint at the tiny numbers up in the corner. Sometimes you have to left-click again if the HUD changes focus, e.g. if you click on something else. And it's sometimes a little tricky to mouse over baron to smite while your eyes are on the little HUD.

Is that really a kind of difficulty that we want, though? That sounds like a clunky, awkward interface.

It would increase the difficulty of the game if Baron's health were displayed as a complex formula which you had to solve in real time. That would not be an improvement. It would be harder, yes. But not in an interesting way.

So the question is whether having to squint at the tiny numbers in the top-left corner is an interesting kind of difficulty. I'm not sure. To me, it does sound kind of like "bad UI difficulty".


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Butch Flowers

Senior Member

06-10-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatedTitan View Post
So on the preview videos of the VU for Summoner's Rift, Baron and Dragon have a health counter above their health bar that shows how much health they have left. And while I'm sure many will be happy that they no longer have to click the Dragon/Baron and watch the numbers fall to time a good smite, I feel this takes a massive amount of skill out of the Jungler's role. Getting the perfect smite is the best feeling in game and if it is dumbed down to just watching numbers above the creature, anyone will be able to do it.


Please reconsider this addition @RiotForScience and other devs who worked on the VU.
You're acting like it's hard to click on baron and watch the numbers from there.. this is literally the most retarded argument i have ever heard and appreantly im not alone judging by the amount of down votes you have. Like seriously looking over your stats and games you dont even play jungle all that often so why the hell are you worried about this?

TL;DR any idiot can click on baron and see its health that way, but only a ****** would think there is any difference between doing that and having it above the health bar