Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Veigar Visual Update Feedback Thread

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Foolish Lantern

06-08-2014

Look, I understand that champion updates are a long and tedious process, by which a beloved character is graphically improved to better fit League of Legends' current visual standard and possibly adjusted so their kits are more enjoyable to play with and against. We have quite a few champions who have been hinted at receiving updates in the near future, such as Scion and Warwick, as people responsible for updating champions have been collected into the Champion Rework team. That being said, most, if not all, future VU's will be tied to kit reworks, meaning that champions that do not require the latter will need to wait.

I am more than happy to wait for a personal favorite champion of mine to receive his update, after all, some need it more. However, I will offer my opinion as to how I view Veigar now, and what I would like to see in his eventual VU.

Veigar's appeal is more than his appearance, though that is a very significant factor. The combination of his aesthetic, lore, and presentation create a wonderful character. He is a possibly insane yordle with incredible power and a taste for sadism and melodramatics. His general playstyle as a farm reliant, Hyper-AP Carry meshes very well with his thematic of being an adorable yordle no one takes seriously until people start spontaneously imploding.

Sadly his current look is clunky, with the traditional pizza-feet and splash art that does not even reflect the actual color he has in-game - the splash art is purple while his model is blue. His body is barely distinguishable, appearing as little more than a hat with limbs. I do like his over-sized gauntlet, as it gives him a unique profile, besides being an already incredibly small yordle. The spikes I am a bit ambivalent about; I understand that he tries to be intimidating, and lots'o spikes tend to be intimidating, I'm sure, but the damn things are so impractical. His robe could also use some work, especially towards making it look like an actual robe. Currently, Veigar looks like he is wearing a dress with a spiky hula-hoop for a hemline. The hat is acceptable, I suppose. I am not a terribly large fan of the clamp he has on it, but the traditional wizard hat is good, especially with that wide brim to hide his features. His staff is so-so; we call it a staff, and assume, since it is being used by a mage, that it is a staff, but I find it looks more like a double-bit axe with a crystal floating between the two heads.

Now what is perhaps the most delicate feature of his character is the voice work. Veigar's voice, as represented by his actor, is the only voice I can possibly imagine Veigar having. It is just the perfect balance of absurdity and insanity. I am not sure if the original actor can be found, but if it must change, what we have now is exactly how Veigar should sound.

http://images.wikia.com/leagueoflege...ar.attack7.ogg (http://images.wikia.com/leagueoflegends/images/b/b1/Veigar.attack7.ogg)

Finally, his spells. These could definitely use some work.

To begin, his Q, Baleful Strike, is essentially a larger, flashier auto attack. That is incredibly boring. It does not seem like a spiteful attack that siphons the living soul from another being. His W, Dark Matter, is actually rather good. The sound of its impact is a satisfying "boom", that is the sound of pain, and I like it. Really, nothing much I would do to change it, if at all. Veigar's E, Event Horizon, sounds amazing. An event horizon is the point surrounding a black hole where nothing escapes. But when it is cast you get this circle of five pillars with purple sparkles between them; dull. Event Horizon sounds like it should conjure this singularity with a pitch black core about which spins the partially obliterated remains of reality in an accretion disc of doom. Last but not least is Veigar's R, Primordial Burst, which again sounds like this indescribably powerful attack that literally replicates the formation of stars in a cosmic explosion of pure annihilation.

Instead, what we see is a larger, flashier Q, which is a larger, flashier auto attack. Wow. There is no umph to this amazingly lethal ability that can effectively 100-0 an enemy AP Carry and obliterate anyone else's lifebar.

Veigar is awesome, and I hope when his time comes, he receives an awesome visual update that does the Tiny Master of Evil justice.

immortalibra

06-09-2014

Would love to see him get the Heimerdinger treatment

Foolish Lantern

06-09-2014

I would love it if he did, though not everything done to Heimerdinger would suit Veigar, I think. There are quite a few extreme movements involved with the Donger's animations, such as the way his turrets bounce on creation, his skipping gait, and extremely mobile hair. Veigar, being a yordle, would fit with this form of motion, but I feel his should be subtle in comparison. The only thing I really see waving around with gusto is his hat, maybe the hem of his robe as well. He has to keep his staff and gauntlet balanced; erratic movements do not make sense with that requirement.

Xhader

06-11-2014

I love Veigar to death, he was my first champ & his voice lines are my favorite, but honestly I don't think he needs that much help. I think his appearance fits him perfectly (pizza feet, skippy walk & all). I wouldn't be too happy if they changed his look tbh.

He's not exactly on par with Yasuo, but his polygons aren't really wonky & his textures seems pretty fine to me. His spells look decent to me as well (they're mostly just vfx anyways), but his E could most certainly be redone. Other than that I'm surprised by how well he's aged.

Even if you do think he needs an update, he would be pretty far down on the totem pole. Maybe just calling for a new E animation or vfx update would be something Riot could just do quickly & throw in on a patch. Small requests can be done quicker after all!

Foolish Lantern

06-11-2014

Veigar has aged well, but I would mostly attribute that to his inhuman proportions. Compare the new Annie to the original Annie; that is the sort of update I would like for Veigar. Keep the Tiny Master of Evil intact while incorporating everything the character artists working at Riot have learned.

Admittedly, Veigar is near the bottom of the totem pole in terms of updates, but I am not asking that it be done now. I aim for this thread to provide Riot with a convenient concentration of opinions regarding the looks of everyone's favorite evil mage. In addition, it is meant to keep Veigar alive; there is hardly any discussion about him at all.

While we disagree on whether or not Veigar should be updated, I understand and respect your opinion.

Kahthegreat

06-13-2014

They should really improve his early laning phase too.

Foolish Lantern

06-14-2014

Quote:
Kahthegreat:
They should really improve his early laning phase too.

Adjusting his laning phase would necessitate tweaking his lategame. While I would love being able to defend myself and farm while laning, there is absolutely no excuse to give him that alongside being a truly evil hypercarry.

Edit:
Also, this is less about Veigar's mechanics and more about his aesthetics; kit adjustments might be included with his Visual Update, but are not necessary.

Foolish Lantern

06-22-2014

Ain't no rest for the wicked.*

*Bump.

Foolish Lantern

07-03-2014

We should never forget that evil has a name, and that name is Veigar. Riot, thou shalt not forget the Tiny Master of Evil.

Bump.

Lavitz

07-07-2014

His ult's particles definitely do not match its power. It is something that is supposed to replicate the power of the big bang. It currently is not visually satisfying, half the time it gets lost in the sea of battle. I want to know Veigar just ulted.