Caitlyn Item Build

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Shaeandra

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-19-2011

Hey there, all.

First post on the forums here (though I've been playing for a little bit). Sorry if I'm not in the right area, strategy seemed the best place.

Caitlyn is the first champion I've ever bought individually because I love her concept (snipers and assassins always get to me). I've been kind of playing with items to see what would keep her fairly solid as she levels in terms of damage with some survivability. Now, I'm not sure -exactly- the order I'd purchase these items in, but let me know what you all think.

Final Item Build: Last Whisper, Berserker's Greaves, Youmuu's Ghostblade, Black Cleaver, Banshee's Veil, Stark's Fervor

Early to Mid game I'd pick up a Hexdrinker and then sell it once I got my Veil (Depending on enemy team comp of course)

My Thoughts:

Last Whisper, Youmuu's Ghostblade, Black Cleaver, and Stark's Fervor all in some way give me armor penetration, or otherwise hamper my opponents armor. At the same time, they all (with the exception of Last Whisper) give me some attack speed which, combined with my boots, will let me get in more of those armor-shredding shots.

The Brutalizer and Hexdrinker both seem like decent early-mid game items which would boost my MR, give me a shield, some AD, Armor Pen and Cooldowns. My reasoning here is that see a lot of people jumping from "nothing" stats to "everything" stats (not sure if I explained that well) with no regard for how their mid-game looks (and so often don't progress well into the endgame).

I can sell the Hexdrinker either one my Veil is built, or to give me the gold needed to finish it. And Brutalizer builds into Youmuu's nicely--no sell required.

Overall this build is supposed to allow me to have a stable game throughout. I might not get maximized attack damage (because I didn't get IE, for example), but I think the decent AD, AS, and Armor Penetration these items give off would be fairly effective, along with a healthy aura for teammates (lifesteal too), and some survivability all the way through.

Haven't got the chance to test yet (server issues) but let me know if what I'm saying makes sense, or if there's something I'm not seeing/doing right here. Constructive feedback is much appreciated.

Thanks, all!

RagnarVonBloodax

01-19-2011

One question I would have is how much gold you end up losing on the hexdrinker, other than that, seems solid ArPen, AS, and AD are her main needs so looks good.

On a side note, yes you are in the right area.

Shaeandra

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-19-2011

Hey Ragnar,

My final item build has a cost of 14027g, the Hexdrinker is 1800g, bringing my final total to 15827g (though that's mitigated a bit by selling Hexdrinker, don't know how much I'd get back).

I'm not an expert on how much gold a player will typically spend on their build. Does that seem acceptable to you?

DrDragun

01-19-2011

Yeah her AD scaling on the ult is not too strong; armor penetration is the best thing.

Even if you get an Infinity Edge her ult will go from 700 damage to 850. /golfclap

A typical competitive game build is around 7000-9000g, and you need the first 3-4k to be well spent.

Shaeandra

01-19-2011

That gives me a good template/idea of what I'm aiming for DrDragun, thank you.

I'm only level 28 so far, so am not in competitive play. Though I'm not sure Caitlyn's skills synergize well enough to be able to hold her own in Ranked games with decent players anyhow.

Back to the items... so it looks like if I rush Last Whisper that's 2090g, then grab Boots of Speed and from there go Brutalizer. At that point I'd have spent 3777g. I'd have +65 AD, 10% CDR, and 40% Armor Pen + 15. I'd also be set up to build into Youmuu and Berserker's. Those all seem like good progressions with no "wasted" build time.

P.S. I've always been confused about solid (+15) armor penetration, and percentile. % is easy to understand, but how does solid increase translate into a percentage? +1 = .10%, or..? If someone could clear that up, it'd be great.

ZehNetoBR

01-19-2011

Brutalizer+Frozen Mallet+Berseker's Greaves+Last Whisper+The Bloodthirster. Costs 10797 gold and, most of the time, you won't need anything else, which leaves an open space for wards, oracles and whatsoever.

In case you REALLY wanna craft something else, then try Black Cleaver,although I hardly do so.

Now, if you wanna have more crits, then you should go Youmuu's Ghostblade+Frozen Mallet+Berseker's Greaves+Last Whisper+Executioner's Calling. In case you have enough money to spare, finish with Infinity Edge.

As for defensive items...don't. Regardless of how much you buff her defense, she'll still be squishy. Cait's strength lies in killing enemies with her skills, ult and her passive, so you'd better focus at that.
Hexdrinker might be a good call, depending on your playstyle, but I rather stick for improving my firepower. I use Ghost+Exhaust (both improved by Masteries), so these, along with her "E", usually are all I need for survival purposes.

EDIT: If you prefer, there's also the possibility of switching Frozen Mallet for Trinity Force. While this is a very powerful item indeed (since Cait's ult activates the Sheen effect, highly improving your damage...besides, there are the bonuses to AD, AP and critical), I prefer the 100% chances of slow over mere 25%. But it's your call.

Build prices:

Brutalizer+Frozen Mallet+Berseker's Greaves+Last Whisper+The Bloodthirster = 10797 gold
Youmuu's+Frozen Mallet+Berserker's Graves+Last Whisper+Executioner's Calling+Infinity Edge = 14627 gold
Youmuu's+Frozen Mallet+Berserker's Graves+Last Whisper+Executioner's Calling+Infinity Edge = 15447 gold
Youmuu's+Frozen Mallet+Berseker's Greaves+Last Whisper+The Bloodthirster+Black Cleaver = 15212 (with 346 damage, woot!)

Getupstandup

01-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaeandra View Post
That gives me a good template/idea of what I'm aiming for DrDragun, thank you.

I'm only level 28 so far, so am not in competitive play. Though I'm not sure Caitlyn's skills synergize well enough to be able to hold her own in Ranked games with decent players anyhow.

Back to the items... so it looks like if I rush Last Whisper that's 2090g, then grab Boots of Speed and from there go Brutalizer. At that point I'd have spent 3777g. I'd have +65 AD, 10% CDR, and 40% Armor Pen + 15. I'd also be set up to build into Youmuu and Berserker's. Those all seem like good progressions with no "wasted" build time.

P.S. I've always been confused about solid (+15) armor penetration, and percentile. % is easy to understand, but how does solid increase translate into a percentage? +1 = .10%, or..? If someone could clear that up, it'd be great.
1 armor pen = 1 point of armor is ignored, it won't always be the same percentage, its as simple as that. If they have 100 armor and you have 10 armor pen, your attack will only factor in 90 armor.

Remember that flat armor pen is deducted before percentage though.

ZehNetoBR

01-19-2011

So, this means that, on an enemy with 100 armor...

9 Tier 3 Armor Penetration Marks = 35 armor pen

100 - 35 = 65 armor.

Now, with Last Whisper's Armor pen %:

40% of 65 = 26

So, this means that you'll ignore 26 armor from the target.

65 - 26 = 39.

Is the math correct? If so, an enemy with 100 armor will only have 39 armor agaisnt a well-built Cait. I know I'm not factoring the enemies' item builds, but it's still remarkable.

steadypals

01-19-2011

in most cases starks will not even be close to be putting up the arpen aura on your target... get a bloodthirster, thats 200 more dmg on your ult.. very nice... :P

i go ie/bt/atmas, if game keeps going another crit item like phantom dancer, could go last whisper i suppose...

Shaeandra

01-19-2011

@Getupstandup, thanks for clearing up the armor penetration for me. Much appreciated!

@Steadypals - You know, I hadn't factored that with Caitlyn's range, Stark's might not really be effective overall.

I was under the impression having some survivability (EVEN if I were still squishy overall) is better than none at all, thus the Veil. Comments on this?

EDIT: After some playing around, it seems like a Last Whisper, Infinity Edge, Youmuu's Ghostblade, and Phantom Dancers gives me a high attack damage, solid armor penetration, good crit chance which is devastating when it hits, and attack speed to back it all up.

Last Whisper, Infinity Edge, Youmuu's Ghostblade, Phantom Dancers:

Attack Speed: 1.347
Damage: 254
Armor Penetration: 41
Armor Penetration %: 40
Critical Chance: 67%
Critical Damage: 260%
Total Gold: 11752g

Last Whisper, Black Cleaver, Stark's Fervor, Youmuu's Ghostblade:

Attack Speed: 1.444
Damage: 234
Armor Penetration: 41
Armor Penetration %: 40
Critical Chance: 17%
Critical Damage: 210%
Total Gold: 10392g

For about an extra 1400g, I'm seeing a 50% critical chance jump, 50% critical damage, and 20 extra AD. I know that's a little over the 9000g quota, but like I said, for now I'm in Normal Games.