Competitive Game intended for Non-Competitive Play?

12
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

InsanityPotion

Senior Member

01-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendragon
Fact - It's impossible to make everyone happy
Fact - Some players (including some in the top 500) do not want their Elo to be public (this has been expressed to me privately many times
Fact - Normal play is not meant to be competitive, ranked games will be a competitive mode of play
Fact - If normal games were meant to be competitive, we would have made a public ladder & Elo for them
Fact - Ranked games will be competitive, and have a public-facing Elo and ladder
I think you forgot something.

Fact - You created a competitive game. You can't make a competitive game non-competitive simply because you say so, the gameplay incites competition at all levels and even violates the very definition of non-competitive game.

Therefore, your intention is flawed to begin with, and it completely invalidates your fact because it is not possible, by definition, for that scenario to exist.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

EmissaryShadow

Emissary of the League

01-12-2010

Backyard football does not require NFL training

Riot is working on the NFL aka Ranked Games.

Poker has friendly games it also has multimillion dollar games.
I can name a few more sports that are competitive, but have tiers of competitiveness.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Glink

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

01-12-2010

Bagga is a prophet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagga View Post
Time to quote pendragon out of context.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Larias

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Adjudicator

01-12-2010

Another troll post by InsanityPotion? Color me shocked.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

InsanityPotion

Senior Member

01-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larias View Post
Another troll post by InsanityPotion? Color me shocked.
Trolling? Hardly. Debasing supposed facts as impossibilities? Yes. Saying a competitive game is non-competitive is like dividing by zero, it's not possible.

Although I'm assuming you didn't weigh in on the Elo discussions, I'm sure you were lost rather quickly there.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Beegly Boogs

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

01-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glink View Post
Bagga is a prophet.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Glink

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

01-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsanityPotion View Post
Trolling? Hardly. Debasing supposed facts as impossibilities? Yes. Saying a competitive game is non-competitive is like dividing by zero, it's not possible.

Although I'm assuming you didn't weigh in on the Elo discussions, I'm sure you were lost rather quickly there.
When did he say it wasn't competitive? LoL IS competitive, he knows that, everyone here knows that, he was saying the real competitive aspect will come with ranked games, thats where all the ELO and rankings matter, currently it is competitive without a mode for it.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Loves Misty

The Council

01-12-2010

The gameplay isn't balanced yet, no draft mode, rune books/levels. no replays, no real spectator support outside of third party streaming, no real cash incentive tournaments and no ranked games...in it's current state the game is hardly a contender for "competitive game" at the moment, making your complaints less valid. Try again in a few months.

Having an ELO doesn't make this a competitive game...having a TEAM Elo would since its a TEAM game and any actual events would thus involve a TEAM.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Malak al Maut

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

01-12-2010

You're an idiot.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

InsanityPotion

Senior Member

01-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glink View Post
When did he say it wasn't competitive? LoL IS competitive, he knows that, everyone here knows that, he was saying the real competitive aspect will come with ranked games, thats where all the ELO and rankings matter, currently it is competitive without a mode for it.
Firstly, ELO, does not exist.

Now, with that out of the way those were the reasons for not displaying the Top 500 Elo list again. Which is fine, however these are also the very same reasons they've used, albeit with different wording, as to why they are not displaying your own private Elo to you.

However, the reasoning behind it is at the very basic level flawed, and without merit. That's not to say they can't do it, obviously, they're just completely wrong on their statements. Which is fine, better companies have been more wrong on more important issues. However, with such a strong base interested in seeing their Elo and Riot clearly stating there will be an "opt-out", the reasons are even further invalidated and less substantial than initially presented.


12