Renekton Think Tank - let's consolidate what works and doesn't here

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Availer

01-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhynox78 View Post
Hey guys, I have read everything that was said and I agree with a bit that everyone is saying, however, Ren is kind of like Warwick, where you do not really need to focus on dps because unlike warwick every ability you have does damage. Ren is a Tanky DPS and needs to be built like so. I start off with maxing Q, because this is what lets you stay in a lane and farm, early farming with Ren is key. By level three you should atleast one skill point in everything. Starting off I get a Dorian's shield, the armor, health, and regen are priceless. Make sure you are last hitting everything and since Q range is decent this should not be a problem.

For runes I got Armor pen marks, Flat armor yellows, and Flat Magic resist blues, and Flat health quints. Early game noone can harass you, espically with Q or 2 every wave. Masteries I go 15/6/9. You need the extra exp from utility and then both the Armor/MR from defense that with a runes make you a beast laner early game and then you keep it throughout the game. I first builf CDR boots, into brut, into Spirit Visage. These 3 items cap your CDR pretty fast. Brut turns into Ghostblade, then depending on their team I go for Cloak of Flames, if they have alot of AD or Hexdrinker if they got alot of AP plus with Spirit Visage thats +60 MR and Hexbringer also gives a bit of damage as a bonus, Now that your pretty Tanky I go for IE the extra damage is nice, and from there I would just get a Bloodthirster or whatever you feel like. Remember, your cooldowns with 40%CDR is going to be the most of your damage, you can Q every 5ish seconds W every 6ish and E every 5 or 4. If you stack damage thats meh because sure the scale is decent but not great enough if you can not spam your abilites.

A randuin's omen works wonders, more survivability, a slow, and cdr + a slow on whoever hits you

Rhynox89

01-19-2011

Ah true that Availer totally forgot about that item.

pinklepants

01-19-2011

So I myself have had great success (after many great failures) with a build somewhat close to what the op suggests. I do a 8/21/1 build grabbing the crit and imp exhaust and the attack speed in offense. All the fun tanky things in the defense tree (I dont bother with dodge its not so useful for renekton) and of course 3/3 ardor.
I use armor pen reds and quints, armor/lvl yellow (thinking about switching to attack speed) and cdr/lvl blues.

So if you'll notice a lot of what renekton relies on is doing well early on in the game, and the element of surprise. Due to him being somewhat vulnerable to cc I try and sneak up on people as much as possible. But here is my item build that has worked very well for me.

1. doran's sword. lifesteal is important as working with your q move this allows you to lane for a very long time and gives you a little bit more durability which for renekton is important.
2. I then proceed to rush the boots of lucidity because the more you can use your abilities the better. That and the cc resist boots are more expensive and unnecessary as if you're rushing head on early your more than likely dying anyway.
3. I rush black cleaver after this. It makes your damage go up by a TON. Not only does the attack damage make your lifesteal do more but, if you ambush your enemy from the bushes with E (making sure to hit a ton of minions on your way) and then use q immediately (hitting the enemy champ and minions) you will almost always be able to hit the enemy champ with the increased stun duration W and a free 3 attacks. This will usually kill any squishy.
4. phage -> icy hammer. Not only does this give you a lot more survivability but it also slows the enemy down. The small amount of ad doesnt hurt either.
5. aegis of the legion. It helps you survive, it helps your team survive, its pretty cheap. Wonderful item and synergizes well with renekton.
6. Get stark's for extra survivability and attack speed which is wonderful, and also working with aegis to beef your team.
7. Sell doran's sword when you have enough gold for something more substantial. Be it guardian angel or atma's impaler. Generally the rule of thumb is if you're pwning then get more offensive gear and if not then buy something a little more defensive. Sunfire cape comes to mind as it is both an offensive and defensive item to an extent.

I dont usually get the brutalizer on renekton as I feel with runes and the cleaver and the bonus from the E attack its not really necessary.

Yuana

01-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jairoe View Post
I guess my question is how much is enough MR though on a normal game (against a team that's balanced AP/AD ideally)?

There is no such thing as enough MR, aside from auto attacks and 4 specific abilities everything else is the game deals magic damage. If you need armour get an aegis or guardian angels, randuins omen is always a good choice also, aside from that magic resist enless your fighting a fed trynd or ranged carry. Generally speaking 90% of the damage you take in a team fight is magical so.

a lonely newb

01-19-2011

Renekton is a really strong champion

Masteries:
13/16/1
Offense: 3 points in sunder for armor pen, 4 points in attack speed, 2 in cdr
Defense: just build up to 4 points in veteran's scars for extra hp because I usually don't build too many hp items

Runes:
9x Armor pen marks
9x Armor/lvl seals
9x Mr/lvl glyphs
3x Flat health quints

For my abilities I like to get:
Q at lvl 1
E at lvl 2
W at lvl 3
Then it's R>Q>E>W

I leave W at lvl 1 while maxing my other skills because it's only useful for single target stun and lvling it up any further doesnt increase the stun duration. Q + E spam + Renekton's ultimate = a lot of aoe damage in team fights

Items:
Start with doran's shield + 1x Hp pot

Merc Treads
Last Whisper
Brutalizer -> Ghostblade
Hexdrinker
Negatron Cloak -> FoN
Heart of Gold -> Randuin's

This is what I usually try to build for in most cases, but try and adapt to each individual game. Most of the time I find myself building more magic resistance than armor because other than auto attacks and a few abilities, everything will be magical damage. Unless they have 2+ physical carries, I usually build a lot less armor

Below are games I've played today with Renekton

Smellis

01-19-2011

Im shocked that most builds don't include black cleaver in its new form. This item screams for this champ. I havn't played him too much but i like his style and sure he doesn't TAKE HUGE CHUNKS OFF with every hit, he is a very VERY high sustained dps champ and is more than capable of taking just about anyone down.

My build so far

Doran's shield
Brutalizer
Phage/CDR boots

From there i determine how the game is going. If im not getting beat up too much and laning went well i'll just get a BF sword for the cleaver. Otherwise i'll work on my tankiness. Randuin's or banshee's depending on the damage.

Then to finish up

Black cleaver
Ghost blade.

I've been playing around with a final item. Its up in the air between trinity force/frozen mallet. I did try a practice game with trinity and the damage was pretty impressive. But cost pretty much ensures i wont get it unless its a long game. Black cleaver + ghost blade is all the dps you need for a generic duration game. Survival for everything else

eljimbobo

01-19-2011

won 9 out of 10 of my past 10 games with this build:

Doran's Shield + HP Pot
Boots of Lucidity
Atma's Impaler
Sunfire Cape
Force of Nature
Frozen Mallet

Anything else doesn't really matter because you can 3vr1 their team and win, but if you choose to get any more items extra damage is always nice.

Dayor Knight

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

01-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljimbobo View Post
won 9 out of 10 of my past 10 games with this build:

Doran's Shield + HP Pot
Boots of Lucidity
Atma's Impaler
Sunfire Cape
Force of Nature
Frozen Mallet

Anything else doesn't really matter because you can 3vr1 their team and win, but if you choose to get any more items extra damage is always nice.
What do your runes/masteries look like?

Siky

01-19-2011

You have to kind of build low costing items early on with Renekton, his farming is rather weak early and ranged can harass you hard if they know what they're doing.

Earlier I had a really long game going and it seems off tanking isn't bad. Close to a 50 minute game because of dumb stuff on both sides, but I got to test out a bunch of items in a real game so from what I gather:

- Wit's End Bad
- Sunfire Preferential Good (synergizes with Ult)
- Mercury Treads Viable over Ionian Boots
- Spirit Visage Awesome
- Guardian Angel Awesome
- Warmog's ? Builds up pretty fast, for tanking situations feels good, but Raduin's or Force probably better first. Last good maybe.

Haven't gotten to really try much with Raduin's, but is there really any champ that doesn't benefit from that item? Purely for tanking purposes it feels good. E does decent shredding of Armor for your AD to do some work, stun makes you scary and Ulting while low health with Spirit Visage lets you survive deceptively long. I can still kill people, not as fast, but I last a very long time in fights.

Other items I haven't tried, but I'm interested in doing so might be Stark's Fervor, Frozen Mallet and Rylai's (? not a fan, but maybe guaranteed AOE slow works out really nicely, who knows. Q and E*2 dealing 15% slow during the fight might just wreck position dependent ranged AD).

Masteries 11/18/1 or 12/17/1 seems to be the standard, no real reason to go any other way. Only alternative would be 9/21/0 with 1 point for 15% MPen since that works with Ult and Sunfire Cape.

eljimbobo

01-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatlan716 View Post
What do your runes/masteries look like?
I'm only level 25 right now, but this is the projected build. I've got most of the runes except for my final quint and a few CDR's.

Ghost and Exhaust
8/17/4
Quints- 3x HP
Marks- 7x Armor Pen, 2x attack speed
Seals- 9x Dodge Chance
Gylphs- 9x Cooldown Reduction

The runes are pretty nromal, but the masteries are wierd. No worries, I'll explain.

I put 8 in Offense for Crit chance, exhaust, and of course the CDR. Since none of Renekton's spells do magic damage(except his ult...) there isn't any point in going further there (except for ignite, but like i said I go Ghost and Exhaust).

Defense is self explanatory. Armor and magic resist, then evasion (to combo with masteries) into nimbleness and harden skin. This all leads to the sole purpose of going defensive: veterans scars. I finish by grabbing +60 hp (the equivalent of 2 health quintessences 0.o) and don't go any further. Why? Because Ardor is useless to you (you don't need attack speed that much or ability power) and the 4% reduction isn't all that great. If the average champion auto attacks for 100 damage, you're only negating 4 of it. veterans scars blows that out of the water.

I put 4 in utility for...utility purposes. 1 in Ghost for the summoner spell and the other 3 in Good Hands so that if I die, I'll be back in time to wreck their team faster.

----------------

Skill wise, I go E,W,Q then max E, then max Q, of course grabbing R whenever its available. The typical skill maxing, from what I've read. You should be able to finish a full wave of caster minions by the time you have Fury, lvl 3 E and lvl 1 Q

Also important: I always grab the solo lane. renekton is a great harraser and can even give Vlad a tough time. Not only that, his double dash and ghost/exhaust plus stun make him an excellent ganker, and ganking is what I do. I'm generally 3 levels higher than my opponents until/if they hit 18.