Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Renekton Think Tank - let's consolidate what works and doesn't here

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Jairoe

01-19-2011

Before I begin, this is purely to consolidate everyone's experience to ultimately find the best build or at least one of the best builds for this brand new champion. Since time is limited, but there is so many of us, we should put together what has worked or hasn't worked and share it with everyone so we can whittle down the ideal item builds, masteries and rune setups.

In regards to responses, keep it brief and easy to sift through and hopefully we can compile this into a more solid guide since I don't believe guides should be built by 1 player's experience.

NOTE: This thread is mainly for veteran players, we should not hesitate to use acronyms and abbreviations for the sake of keeping it short.

This is what worked for me so far:
Mastery - 8/21/1 with Cleanse/Ghost masteries for both
Key notes: I picked up both +4% AS from Off and Def. Not the CDR from Offensive (IMO 4% AS > 3% CDR (which doesn't even shave off 1/4 of a second).

Runes - Red: Arm Pen, Yellow: Health/LV, Blue: MR/LV, Quint: Health

With my mastery and rune setup, I provide a solid defensive background so I can focus my item builds on pure offense in the early stages of game.

Skill Build:
I start with E for 2 reasons, it allows me to harrass/farm easily and take minimal damage if timed correctly. I have punished hiders in bushes from level 1 severely which lead me to easy early game ganks.

Second skill is W because stun is very useful in gank/saving champs and I get a 0.75s one at level 1 (potentially 1.5s).

Then, I rush E to level 5 followed by W to LV 5. E because reduced CD = mobility and more harrass/farm. W because its CD is reduced per level, extra damage is always good on a great stun move and Q's CD does not reduce per level making it less necessary. I do get Q at level 4 to have access to the 3rd move and wouldn't it level any further until Q and E are maxed.

I work Q to LV 5 last because the move is lacking in damage and the lifesteal % is lacking overall. CDR isn't reduced as well as you level whereas Q and E abilities CD are reduced while leveling making it more of a priority. Plus, he isn't a great ganker early on, he's a better harrasser/farmer so get your farm on with E and Q first. Renekton (to me) is a late game champion and very item dependant.

Item Build
Here's my early game item progression:
Doran's Blade -> Ionian Boots -> Brutalizer -> Kindlegem -> Ghostblade -> Spirit Visage

1.)Doran's Blade more for the starting health than the damage but it comes with both for cheap.
2.)This starting item build focuses on CDR, but comes with a decent balance of attack and defense. This gives you versatility in starting out while maxing out your CDR at 40%. This item progression allows you to acquire smaller items and turn them into bigger items making it easier to farm along the way as opposed to rushing to a BF Sword or equivalent type of item. From here, going into mid-game, you'll have an easy time adjusting to your opponents and game situation that you end up playing in.
3) Into midgame, your next item can potentially be Hexdrinker or Atma's depending on whether you're being stomped by AD or AP and followed by Phage -> Frozen Mallet for easier tanking as you go deeper into game. Atma's will also benefit from the Mallet through additional damage as well.

From here I would say its pretty much based on your performance and how well you are doing against the opponents. I like to provide flexibility in my build to account for unpredicted events. Generally I have been following the Ghostblade with Phage -> Frozen Mallet because the slow makes him an even better chaser and the health makes him more durable in the middle. Then I build Atma's Weapon to take advantage of my health (2.8k-3k depending on level) and provide more crit and armor to tank with.

Now enough of my ideas and experiences, I want to see and hear everyone elses.

Jairoe

EDITED 01/21/2011: Updated Item build section to include Ionian Boots over Berserker's. Updated my early game Item Build to emphasize CDR which works great on allowing him to push waves, jungle and team battle AoE damage.

Warbéar

01-19-2011

Hey Jairoe. Me and some friends ran some extensive tests: Sheen sucks, and you waste money on Mana and Magic damage. Ulti has .1 magic scaling. We tried black cleaver damage was MEH at best. The BEST we've found was W with madreds blood razor to give OPTIMAL damage. Assuming enemy has not build magic resistance, if they do it's a different story. Jungling does not work, and when it does you will B after 3 small camps which is bad.

So far: Madreds blood razor to get 3 magic attacks off on W you can do massive dmg + stuns with it.

Hope that helps.

Landmarkmoon.

Edit: W damage sucked with madreds when enemy had approximately 100 mr because madreds wasn't doing as much damage. And it's not optimal to do magic pen. So: Confusing results.
Edit 2: Madreds + cleaver ripped **** apart. Try that in your custom games.

Jairoe

01-19-2011

Quote:
Booty Bandit:
i'm finding an 11/11/8 setup gives him all the surv he needs early on....late game, you're a YI basically so it isn't ur job to be 'tanky'...unless that is the setup you are going for with your team. Also, his Q heal is terrible and the dmg is bad as well. I'm maxing E first for the CD reduction on it + it helps with escape/chase.

Items, i'm going just like any other AD carry tbh...starting with a d.shield rather than a blade for the extra armor. W/o going in order, i get Cd boots, BT, starks, y.ghost, frozen, madred's/any other situational item vs the opp team. This gives me all the LS i need, AS + AD as well, and the CDR + Hp. Madred's is a good item to rock just b/c W procs it each swing during the stun + it just wrecks tanks...again, situational. A BC could work just as well against non tanky teams since you just destroyed their armor that much more along with the use of the E during fury.

Either way, I'm building him as a broken Yi/Tryn....works, but Rene runs into the exact same issues as they do...trained and sat on, so it's either you build him as a tank and do squat for dmg with no control or an AD semi-carry with lil surv but rockin LS to stay in the fight.

just consolidating useful quotes from other threads into 1 cohesive thread.

Warbéar

01-19-2011

Ty

Jairoe

01-19-2011

/

Quote:
S Fate:
Doesn't seem like you know what Renekton is based on, he is not based on just landing damage through auto attack but instead he is based on using his skills. To play Renekton you need to know he's a squishy melee dps if you focused on offensive/defensive runes and that he can be stopped easily if he gets no armor. And here's the boots in your build?

Also to play Renekton you need CDR items such as Youmuu's, Shurelya's Reverie, Spirit Visage, Ionian Boots, NOT Frozen Heart, (that's for casters). His skills are completely devastating and with runes and good equip, he doesn't have extremely high AD but it's still a bit up there. His skills don't have a bad scale either but his skills are his core and if you have CDR ready then you may use your skills pretty much endlessly without delay.

In the end, I want to say this, if you thought Renekton was op in the spotlight, think again. They nerfed him since a tad bit and it made him pretty balanced. Renekton is also not made for tanking, sure he has an ultimate that'd raise his hp but I went a full dps build with him and ended with 2.2k hp, compared that to Sion's full dps build with 2.9k hp. Renekton needs Youmuu (I'd recommend) first then he'd get his defensive item (Thornmail or FoN if they're HEAVY damage dealers or nukes) like Shurelya's Reverie if you think you can handle their attacks. Then get either Black Cleaver or Last Whisper, his armor shred in his E skill is amazing.

He also doesn't have enough HP to use Atma's effectively unless you use Warmogs.

DrDragun

01-19-2011

It looks like Ghostblade + Spirit Visage is a solid start. Both have CDR, some good HP and healing effects with SV and Ghostblade is the full melee dps stats.

Grindforit

01-19-2011

CDR boots are almost mandatory I've found. Grabbing some health early on aids farming quite a bit, I normally get a HoG. After that, Last Whisper and Frozen mallet are great for damage, arm pen and health. After that, not sure. Need to get some more experimentation in

Astro

Master Recruiter

01-19-2011

What I've found is that Renekton is not meant to be a deal a lot of damage. I tried him in a custom game with about 600 AD and he has pretty bad scaling. Plus, his skills have HUGE cooldowns for the minimal damage they deal.

My idea would be to build him more of a tank. His E and W give him an easy job initiating team fights and his ult'd give him more survivability.

I have yet to build him as a tank, but it seems like'd it work best.

Jairoe

01-19-2011

I tried both boots and I find them equally useful. I think I slightly value the AS more because it allows me to go pure AD rather than have to worry about AS at a later time. I already get CD with Ghostblade and can further stack with another Brutalizer after Ghostblade if need be. I did try all 3 CDR (boots, Brut and Ghostblade together) and it is pretty sweet how fast it comes up I'll admit, but I don't think entirely necessary. You do need to autohit with him and that speed helps especially chasing.

Jairoe

01-19-2011

So after trying out another game, I think its safe to say with Brutalizer -> Ghostblade, i personally prefer the Zerker shoes, will test out rushing into Madred's then Cleaver like Landmarkmoon did with CDR boots instead. In the game I played, I didn't really enjoy madred's too much because by the time I got it (after Brut->Ghostblade with CDR boots), I was taking heavy damage from magic towards mid game and I became pretty much fodder for a good portion of midgame. We also did not have a dedicated tank so that could have been part of the issue so one of us on the team had to double up as a tank a bit. I'll try Zerker with Ghostblade -> 2nd Brutalizer to see if that feels better. If not, then I'll go for a Hexdrinker instead in anticipation of Renetok's magic weaknesses. I think more MR should be incorporated into our builds.