We are updating Summoner's Rift

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tact

06-08-2014

RiotForScience,

With the mini-map update that you said was coming, is it on the table for each jungle camp/monster to have different icons (or differently-colored icons)? For example, the Gromp I've been hearing about could be a little bullfrog-looking icon. I'd imagine it might be easier to teach newer summoners that X camp is always in Y location. Or it could be to show that blue buff and red buff camps are generally more important in terms of rewards than the rest of the jungle camps.

However, it might be hard to communicate all of this in a situation where the icons are very small and there's not a lot of room to differentiate them visually. What are your/the team's thoughts on this?

hakE69

06-08-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotForScience View Post
Yes there will be some weather effects. The north east quadrant is going to be rainy, apart from that we will have dust, fog, lightrays and other environmental effects

We will not have day/night cycles. Our lighting is all hand painted. The wins that we would get by having a day/night cycle would be massively outweighed by the losses we would get from adopting a more artifical lighting system.

We will not have camera rotation, but the fundamental issue behind why we want the ability to rotate the camera is being looked into. We are not prepared to discuss that yet. The solution will not be part of the visual update.
It would be nice (and even necesary for competitive and pro players) if you could make an option to hide all unnecesary effects from the map. Then players can just tick or untick the option when they want to.

Tauros113

06-08-2014

Will there still be the smiley face near bot?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg maxresdefault.jpg (128.6 KB, 63 views)

Skwiwel

06-08-2014

1. Firstly I want to warn you about the visibility of effects disappearing at the edges of screen in the spothlight video. I know this is a common way to increase performance in a lot of games but it's very noticable here (1:10-1:14 in the river for example). Maybe just far this effect a bit or smth, idk.
2. You really need to make some fancy minion spawn animation. Something like they come out of a door in the ground or just some particles. I would personaly prefer the door, because I feel the SR more of an true arena rather than 100% imaginary "summoned" place. While the champions are surely summoned the rest should feel like this is their real place.
3. I do also have an idea with dragon. It would be pretty epic if before his spawn the dragon flew above top and mid lanes and his shadow could be visible. Like you would normally duel your midlane opponent and suddenly a purely visual dragon shadow crosses the path on its way to his pit.

SuchLikeWhale

06-08-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by 009Deathwolf View Post
Can we have more minor "non-aggro" creatures like butterflies, squirrels, little birds and all that stuff in the areas where its more lush and green
like for example when you enter the lushy more green parts, there are squirrels that run away into caves or trees or hide somewhere when they see you, while in the more barren areas you'll find creatures like vultures or ravens etc that fly away which were feeding on dead skeletons maybe???

I feel these would breathe a bit more life into SR
Yes I agree it would be so cool if this was implemented in the VU.

HadesOfHell 666

06-08-2014

yay for dota version of summoners rift

6doranrings

06-08-2014

Name:  666.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  13.0 KB

Zac x Me

06-08-2014

^ I doubt this is a coincidence, it can only mean something.... bad.

Raptor6789

06-08-2014

Not sure if this pertains to what you're doing, but...
Could you make obtaining information about other units easier? I like to play with a smaller HUD, but that also makes it harder to see another unit's HP when I click on them, so it becomes more difficult to do things like make split-second smite steals.