We are updating Summoner's Rift

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Breakbeatz

06-07-2014

Had an idea that I posted last night.

http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com...summoners+rift

TigerScream

06-07-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotForScience View Post
Yes all of these things will be identical, except for a few places where alterations were deliberately made to fix bugs or improve balance.

I am going to get a bit technical for a bit but bear with me. The visual elements of the map are not what you are actually playing with. The thing that is determining collision, flashing, dasing, pathing is called a nav-mesh or nav-grid. It is a single piece of invisible geometry that determines where a player can or cannot go. That mesh has been duplicated directly from the map you are currently playing on so all of those gameplay elements will be exactly the same. It is the exact same map just with a visual update that will hopefully clarify what that nav-mesh is actually doing.

Does that help?
People just don't read. You've explained it several times and people are just being stupid and complaining without reading all the posts.

Cubical

06-07-2014

Will we be getting an updated mini map with this beauty

RiotForScience

Senior Environment Artist

06-07-2014
63 of 73 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evermore930 View Post
Thanks for the excellent clarification above, was great for a layman to get some insight into how the game actually functions!

So gameplay is the same, minus the "few bugs or balance improvement"? Can you shed some light or at least give us an idea of what the minor changes will be?
Yeah I would be happy to.

Right now there is some asymetry in the base walls making one set of walls much easier to get through with things like Nidalee's pounce than the other side. There are several tiny pockets in the nav mesh where you can place a ward and it will not behave as well as intended. There are a couple edges around the "islands" in the jungle that extend further than the art would indicate making pathing much less predictable. The spawn platform's nav mesh will probably be rebuilt (only the area inside of the laser range) so it can match the new art. Things like that.

They are things that are so minute that noone has ever noticed a change in any of our testing. but they are happening so I don't want to make the claim that the nav mesh is 100% identical to the current map. It is more like 99.9% identical.

RiotForScience

Senior Environment Artist

06-07-2014
64 of 73 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubical View Post
Will we be getting an updated mini map with this beauty
Yup!

GodKilleR 999

06-07-2014

Quote:
Yup!
What about the UI? Not that it really needs to be changed, it does what it has to. Is there any new function that's gonna be added to it though?

Kaiber

06-07-2014

The topic of rotating the camera or flipping it 180 has came up many times in this thread. I'm wondering a few things.

1) Do you know the major issues as to why it's not almost here yet?
2) If it is made around the time of the SR VU will there be any cool easter eggs that will be unique to each camera angle?
3) What is the status of this issue right now? Is it a long way away from becoming reality or is there some good headway on it?
4) Is there an official Riot thread about this where we can get more frequent updates on its status?

Thank you for any feedback Riot

Proximus D

06-08-2014

Quote:
Yup!
I hope the new minimap will be as clear as the old one. When watching Dota 2 streams I can't see **** on low resolutions, while the LoL minimap is still fine.

Coldmanj

06-08-2014

Just watched the teaser vid and noticed something pretty awesome... at least I think it is. Baron Nashor has a nasty looking scar covering one of his left eyes. It adds some great flavor to him. The next question though is... Where did the scar come from? Who or what made it? Since champions and monsters on the rift cannot be scarred by the battles that take place thanks to the magics strewn about the rift, what happened to give baron such a nasty wound?