We are updating Summoner's Rift

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Banuvan

06-06-2014

YEARS

Your shiny rocks may distract the general public idiots but those of us that have half a brain realize you still can't fix the camera angle and offer the same excuse of that's another teams job.

YEARS

LavieHead

06-06-2014

The spawn animation from the dragon has him landing on and traversing the walls of his pit. Will this be visible from the blue jungle or will it be blocked?

SwordsOfAether

06-06-2014

When do you think the SR VU will get pushed into the PBE?

MobiIe Ward

06-06-2014

I love everything about this. As a jungle main, this is amazing!

I also really like the music in the video. If you put that music in game I would definitely listen to it while I play instead of listening to my own music.

RiotForScience

Senior Environment Artist

06-06-2014
60 of 73 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eotw View Post
A couple things:

1) Shaco can deceive over terrain much more effectively than flash. Are you making sure those locations still work?

2) The area around the towers should be paved to indicate the tower's range. Someone else mentioned something similar to this earlier.

3) The shop bounds should match the heal zone, or at least have the same center. This has been brought up multiple times here... make it happen!

4) For people abusing the dragon's AI as much as possible, will the dragon/baron be easier or harder than before?(

1. yes they will still work. The nav mesh is copied directly from the map on live. It is not a new map. It is a visual update. The only difference is a few bugs we cleaned up.

2. Having a really clear circumference around the towers is problematic from a design perspective because it would allow players to stand 1 pixel outside of the range something we would prefer there to be some risk/mastery in order to do.

3.Good point on the heal zone. I will look into it. There is a design feedback thread located in the summoner's rift sub-forum. If you could post it there I will not lose track of the concern.

4. There are some distinctions between those 2 camps and how they behave on the current map. I think it will have an impact.

Wrath of Kon

06-06-2014

I do worry that not keeping things simple in terms of lighting on the map may hurt it. Part of th3 reason I love current SR is the bright lighting it has and its not overdone. I think players enjoy the simple things with great game play design rather than complex art which makes game play harder....

Minecraft is the purest example of this right now. One of the most popular games in the world not because it needs great graphics but because low graphics allow for the great game design to shine! I dont need different weather in SR in different spots! Lighting should be the same everywhere! Bright if someone walks over it! Simplicity is the best way to make the game better visually

Eotw

06-06-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotForScience View Post
1. yes they will still work. The nav mesh is copied directly from the map on live. It is not a new map. It is a visual update. The only difference is a few bugs we cleaned up.

2. Having a really clear circumference around the towers is problematic from a design perspective because it would allow players to stand 1 pixel outside of the range something we would prefer there to be some risk/mastery in order to do.

3.Good point on the heal zone. I will look into it. There is a design feedback thread located in the summoner's rift sub-forum. If you could post it there I will not lose track of the concern.

4. There are some distinctions between those 2 camps and how they behave on the current map. I think it will have an impact.
Thanks for the reply!

2) As it currently stands, the only mastery involved that would be lost is memorizing the range of the tower. Given that memorizing timers is something you guys are presumably going to remove (by adding Dragon and Baron timers), I don't think this is much different. All the risk of getting too close to the tower, taking too many hits, etc. is still there.

As a further reason for a clear distinction here, this would follow along with the direction that more and more champions are having their delayed shots show their collision. Karthus's Q, his bread and butter, is the latest example of this. Personally, I think making his Q's collision easy to see is a huge nerf, but this isn't the place for that. Showing the tower range wouldn't cause any balance issues, only add visual clarity.

Even if it does make it slightly easier to avoid getting hit by the tower, I don't think accidentally taking a stray tower hit is fun for anyone.

Flamesilocks

06-06-2014

Just out of curiosity guys, with Baron getting (technically) a buff with his new abilities. Will the buff you get for defeating him get a buff? Right now it just feels underwhelming to me. Having to do more to defeat baron would make it even more so, imho.

US Economy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-06-2014

I see that you guys are trying to make Dragon and Baron feel more like "boss-fights" in that they have unique and cool abilities now. What do you guys think of the idea of adding different kinds of bosses with different looks/abilities in place of baron and dragon in the future?

US Economy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-06-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesilocks View Post
Just out of curiosity guys, with Baron getting (technically) a buff with his new abilities. Will the buff you get for defeating him get a buff? Right now it just feels underwhelming to me. Having to do more to defeat baron would make it even more so, imho.
The buff feels underwhelming? That buff single-handedly wins games lol