We are updating Summoner's Rift

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Keskintilki

06-06-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotForScience View Post
We are finally ready to show the world the updates that we have been making to summoner's rift. Please check out our preview video.

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/node/17076

I would love to hear your feedback!
I'll be honest. I'm not really happy with this.

Yes it looks great when compared to the old SR map. However, you have still ignored the MAJOR issue players have been complaining about since the release of LoL. The CAMERA discrepancy. I also know what you are gonna say: "Blah blah bleh, we aren't the team that does that we are just updating textures. You mean to tell me that in the 4 years that have passed by the 2 teams responsible for that feature, I'm including you and your team in this have still not figured out a solution to this?

I mean........how difficult is it to sit with the other team and actually come up with an updated map that incorporates an easier fix than "the other team is working on it".

Also, I understand you want to have the game run smooth on a wide range of machines, what I don't understand/like is that you have reduced the polygon count on the map....all that tells me is that it wont scale well on high end machines.

My computer is over 5 years old, and I still get over 120fps on max settings at 1920x1200. I don't need higher fps, what I need is eye candy.

Again, I'm getting to scaling, SC2 for example scales VERY well depending on the machine, and so did Crysis 2, to me what this says is that your "fix" after lessons learned on HA was reduce poly count so toasters and potatoes can run SR once the update goes live, and in no way shape or form were higher end machines even considered.

Personally I'm not sure why everyone is so in love with the VU, it's actually going to be less detailed (well 1/8th is actually an arbitrary number, so it may not) so the potatoes and toasters can run the game, which still doesn't change the fact that the client that you use is buggy as hell.

Now that my rant is done, I guess I'll ask a question to contribute.

Having a pretty beefy system, how much more detailed will the VU be for me?? Please don't tell me you think your texture updates equal detail, I actually mean detail, not clearer textures.

Dorkdav

06-06-2014

Awesome stuff. One suggestion I have, though unnecessary, is to have different death animations for monsters and minions killed by smite. For example that red buff tree thing splinters apart and pieces of it are burning on the ground. Something that gives you the sense that you really dropped the hammer on the monster.

Also it would be nicer if there was a clearer indication on who received the buff when the these big monsters are killed.

And since the enemies are leveling up would it be possible that they look tougher as they level up?

Keep up the good work. Looks like a whole new game.

Kiech Bepho

06-06-2014

@RiotforScience

First, looks great!

Did anything come from the discussion about high/low ground advantages like with SC2 and most other MOBA/RTS's? From the video it seems that we still have cliffs and high-ground that look like they SHOULD provide combat bonuses. Right now its a bit deceiving to new players.

Gnãrly

06-06-2014

Looks like you polished a turd instead of working on the distinct advantage blue side has at even the highest levels of play..

but hey the rocks look more like rocks now

Is the LAN server going to have a better Summoner's Rift than people on the East Coast do too?

Can you at least make our ping bar a different color and shiny so we don't notice how bad we are at a disadvantage, as already admitted by you many times yet you do nothing about it?

Rhlax

06-06-2014

Quote:
From my forum post: When will we be seeing a new 5v5 map. I understand that it would take a while to create a whole NEW map, but it's been 5 years since LoL started, and 5v5 is the most played mode. I can just think about the possibilities of a new map, it would change league of legends entirely. Just my 2 cents.
I too feel like SR has been played on for too long. A Rioter once said that the SR is like the basketball court and it doesn't have to change. I disagree strongly. Champions and items alone does not create enough complexity compared to a real person/basketball player. Basketball players like Lebron or Kobe are alpha males, leaders and role models that people look up to. For League, players are much younger, and will continue to be this way. Still we watch them and cheer for them, maybe partly because they are reminiscent of our younger selves.

In terms of solutions, I don't think changing the map, moving the walls around is answer. It may be a bandage/short term solution but unsustainable. I wish riot could be more creative and risk taking with maps. Something like unexplored/random jungle would significantly alter the early game and add complexity to a boring phase of the game. Players love Lee Sin, for good reasons. Maybe give us more tools to let us be creative.

WILDZDAREDWINE

Eotw

06-06-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eotw View Post
A couple things:

1) Shaco can deceive over terrain much more effectively than flash. Are you making sure those locations still work?

2) The area around the towers should be paved to indicate the tower's range. Someone else mentioned something similar to this earlier.

3) The shop bounds should match the heal zone, or at least have the same center. This has been brought up multiple times here... make it happen!

4) For people abusing the dragon's AI as much as possible, will the dragon/baron be easier or harder than before?
The only thing worse than being ignored is watching other people get responses

Stephenizgod

06-06-2014

I really hope i can still play this on my computer, my computer isn't bad or old its just not meant for gaming and this is partly what attracted me to League so much "OH! An awesome game i can actually play!" i understand if you can not make it optimal for computers like mine, i would hate for you to have to lower the quality of this map for all just to fit my computer. It does look freaking awesome and it looks nothing like Dota to me, Dota always seemed so crowded and confusing, this looks amazing.

Also ive seen several posts about how people worried about it running on their computers are crybabies... Im sorry but if your favorite game suddenly could not be played anymore because of an awesome looking update you would be crying to, grow up not everyone can get mommy and daddy to buy them a brand new computer.

Daarashar

06-06-2014

With this face-rift, is there any chance that there's going to be a new announcer?

Dyrus, and many others, would be eternally grateful: http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com....php?t=1135184

iAteMyVegetables

06-06-2014

Ok so I noticed that the turrets from red and blue side are different. The thing is though I feel the red ones are way more epic. You see that light coming from it as well, just like what you see at the nexus. While blue side just looks like normal turrets only ofcourse better looking, but they're just in the ground like normal. So is that final or will the blue side also get that light from it, just a different design than the red side.

Also I wonder why there are no differences in turret designs from red side nexus turrets and inhib turrets. It would be great if Nexus turrets would look the strongest 'cause it's protecting the most important thing, and even the Inhib turrets they're more important than the lane turrets imo. It would be so great to see some variety, maybe even something as simple as difference in sizes. And I feel like the Nexus is too small, since it's the most important thing, if you destroy that you win, so it being that small, I don't know, it feels less epic.

Tl;dr I hope that the turrets get more variety. (Lane, Inhib, Nexus turrets. And difference in red/blue side) And that the Nexus becomes bigger so it has more of an epic feel.