We are updating Summoner's Rift

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RiotForScience

Senior Environment Artist

06-06-2014
59 of 73 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrevax View Post
Will there be any weather effects?
Will we have daytime/nighttime cycles?
Will we have camera rotation?

Yes there will be some weather effects. The north east quadrant is going to be rainy, apart from that we will have dust, fog, lightrays and other environmental effects

We will not have day/night cycles. Our lighting is all hand painted. The wins that we would get by having a day/night cycle would be massively outweighed by the losses we would get from adopting a more artifical lighting system.

We will not have camera rotation, but the fundamental issue behind why we want the ability to rotate the camera is being looked into. We are not prepared to discuss that yet. The solution will not be part of the visual update.

DrammaLamma

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-06-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotForScience View Post
We will not have camera rotation, but the fundamental issue behind why we want the ability to rotate the camera is being looked into. We are not prepared to discuss that yet. The solution will not be part of the visual update.
Then within like a year or so can we at least get a real update on the camera rotating thing?

Lots of people have been wanting this for a long time and this really seems to us, the end users like the VU is a logical time to work on and implement it.

Just please get on it eventually, and when you have something in progress update us about it.

Since this is the only real word we have on this since 2009, and the word is "Not yet" please just realize myself and a lot of others are going to be frustrated by this and will look forward to information in the future.

Thanks for your time.

The MechE

06-06-2014

Just give it to us now RFS.

Rhlax

06-06-2014

Quote:
The north east quadrant is going to be rainy
That's awesome!

Loomybinn

06-06-2014

I don't know I if this has been asked before, but are there plans on having the shopkeepers speak like on Howling Abyss? The updated shopkeepers are different from each other and seem to have a lot more personality than the old shopkeepers so I think that would be really fun.

Fomorian27

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-06-2014

Forscience, have you seen this review by skyen, the guy who does caster comix?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdPd...ature=youtu.be

It's a little bit long but he says some interesting things towards the end, especially when it pertains to aesthetic style.

Masterm111

06-06-2014

From my forum post: When will we be seeing a new 5v5 map. I understand that it would take a while to create a whole NEW map, but it's been 5 years since LoL started, and 5v5 is the most played mode. I can just think about the possibilities of a new map, it would change league of legends entirely. Just my 2 cents.

Penteano

06-06-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotForScience View Post
Excuse me sir but IMO camera rotation alone won't solve the problem. Why not do a semi locked cam like this "sexy" one (your own words)?
http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com....php?t=4402048
Allowing to only rotate will help while in lane phase but IMO when people start coming from all sides at late game (or in any moment of a Dominion match) the whole thing will be the same as now and there will be people complaining again and giving suggestion to fix the problem. A lolcamera had the enemy_weight settings that made me play on purple side as fine as I'd do in blue so, why not both?

iAteMyVegetables

06-06-2014

Ok so I noticed that the turrets from red and blue side are different. The thing is though I feel the red ones are way more epic. You see that light coming from it as well, just like what you see at the nexus. While blue side just looks like normal turrets only ofcourse better looking, but they're just in the ground like normal. So is that final or will the blue side also get that light from it, just a different design than the red side.

Also I wonder why there are no differences in turret designs from red side nexus turrets and inhib turrets. It would be great if Nexus turrets would look the strongest 'cause it's protecting the most important thing, and even the Inhib turrets they're more important than the lane turrets imo. It would be so great to see some variety, maybe even something as simple as difference in sizes. And I feel like the Nexus is too small, since it's the most important thing, if you destroy that you win, so it being that small, I don't know, it feels less epic.

Tl;dr I hope that the turrets get more variety. (Lane, Inhib, Nexus turrets. And difference in red/blue side) And that the Nexus becomes bigger so it has more of an epic feel.

Phely

06-06-2014

@RiotForScience,

I'm not sure if this pertains to your team, but I'll ask anyway.

1. Along with the mini map revamp, is the team considered updating icons to reflect skins that the players are currently using? Such as the side tool bar, using TAB, and the icons in the mini map itself.

It would help the players appreciate the skins they paid for a little more.

2. Would it ever be possible to see champions abilities behave differently while standing in different terrain? EI: Ground abilities would knock up water instead of earth (Alistair Pulverize), or Viktor's laser steams water instead of leaving a burn mark? Just curious.