We are updating Summoner's Rift

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Butts McFarts

06-06-2014

At first I was a bit taken aback by the less saturated and cartoony environment (League's vibrant characters and maps are infinitely more readable and aesthetically pleasing than any other MOBA I've played) but WOW does the new Rift look good in motion. It's beautiful, and everything really pops on the environment.

I'm hoping with a much cleaner, more streamlined and modern map, along with the updated sound engine, we'll be seeing easier and bigger changes to non-gameplay features. Maybe an option to rotate the camera? New announcer packs? Perhaps a return of seasonal maps or decorations? Easter eggs? I guess time will tell!

RiotForScience

Senior Environment Artist

06-06-2014
57 of 73 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace77 View Post
sounds and looks awesome so far!

1. what kind of work besides optimization and wraiths / double golems is left?

2. for less awesome pcs maybe there could be an option to turn off some of the animations? seems like that would be a performance issue.

3. does the map affect ping? ie HA has a higher ping than SR for me and my fiends.

1, The "Wraiths" (Now Razorbeaks) and Double-Golems (Now Krugs) are just as far along as the other creatures in the map, we just didn't show them in the video. We have a lot of refinement to do on textures. The map is still unlit (which is one of the things leading to the complaint about darkness) We are still in the process of populating flowers easter-eggs and player orienting props.We need to tighten the visuals around the nav-mesh. We need to do a lot of optimization work on our texture/mesh optimization... apparently we need to find a duck? I am not sure about that one.

2. We are working on tech to get things really clean for min-spec machines. that is one of the things being considered.

3. I don't believe so. I don't think a map could effect ping. Do you mean FPS? Could you go into more detail about the concern?

Maximum Espurr

06-06-2014

Is the baron update coming with his VU?

Mars Adept

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-06-2014

Will this VU fix the shop/menu FPS drop issues that me and my friends experience on a daily basis?

Thales

06-06-2014

What changes will be made to Nunu's Q? It refers to "lizards", "wolves/wraiths", and "golems". At the bare minimum, it'll need refluffing. But I feel like it'll also need some outright redesign. I see no commonality between the little stone shards blue buff summons and the twisted vine beast that is the new red buff, nor any reason they wouldn't be in the same taxonomic classification as blue buff itself.

SaltyKracka

06-06-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotForScience View Post
Well, a lot of our team, (including myself) are veterans from Darksiders 2. If you feel like that had too much of an influence on our work than that is something worth taking a look at.
Oh, I'm not complaining about it, I actually quite like it.

I was just feeling clever for being able to point out (admittedly obvious) influences.

RiotForScience

Senior Environment Artist

06-06-2014
58 of 73 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinaro View Post
I really like the new art, but does that mean we cannot expect geo changes in the nearer future?

I was hoping so much that at some point you would make the map truly symmetrical (not a point reflection and asymmetrical Dragon/Baron positions) and also rotating it by 45.
I think those changes are necessary to make the game completely fair, especially in the e-sport scene.
I think the 45 degree solution is a lot stronger than the 180 degree or 90 degree solution because it creates a more stable play environment and allows us to optimize the map in cleaner way. There is inherent asymmetry in the map (Dragon Baron, the locations of the buffs) but testing a camera shift would tell us if those things are really distorting balance or if they just provoke tactical adjustments.

That being said I am not saying that we are doing the 45 degree option at any point. We could hit huge unforeseen obstacles. But, (in my opinion) it is a stronger option than the methods we have considered previously.

Risotadazo

06-06-2014

Quote:
1, The "Wraiths" (Now Razorbeaks) and Double-Golems (Now Krugs) are just as far along as the other creatures in the map, we just didn't show them in the video.
Screenshots plox?

Quote:
apparently we need to find a duck? I am not sure about that one.
Rito pls.

Kyurian

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-06-2014

Oh cool, it's looking more and more like the DotA map now.

Algalaz

Recruiter

06-06-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars Adept View Post
Will this VU fix the shop/menu FPS drop issues that me and my friends experience on a daily basis?
If you're talking about the issue where sometimes when you open the shop the game gives you like 2 fps for a second or two, this happens to me also