My proposed improvements to the honor/tribunal system

1234511 ... 14
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

UniquelyPerfect

Recruiter

06-23-2014

I am speaking as someone who has studied social psychology, behavioral psychology, and a bunch of other social science disciplines.

These are ways for how Riot can vastly improve the punishment/reward system for the game:

1. Make earning honor meaningful

Currently, earning honor doesn't actually mean anything except that if you happen to get it a billion and a half times you might, just might get a ribbon. People need rewards to be meaningful, period. There must be social reinforcement/tangible reinforcement involved. Ribbons and gold stars work for kindergartners who enjoy attention from adults they admire.

There are two possible implementations that can be made to the system to resolve this problem, and to overall improve the harmony of the community (which greatly needs improving) and thus greatly improving the post-game experience:

i. [Courtesy of Guardsman Bob] Make it to where people can only give out 2-3 "honor" points maximum per 24-hour period or so. These points, if they accumulate over a month or so period to certain amounts can then purchase various in-game rewards kinda like raffle tickets in an arcade. If you only accumulate like 5-10, you can purchase maybe a rune or two. If you get over 20 maybe (just throwing out numbers, they can be adjusted) people can perhaps unlock a 520 skin. This would be the best way to reward good behavior since it requires someone to STAND OUT as someone that makes the game a positive experience for people, summoners that are memorable at the end of the day for whatever they may have contributed to the environment of a particular game. Also, it would not stop people from spending money on the game. Before people log out at the end of the day, or near a 24 hour period, the client can even prompt them to choose the best 2 summoners they have played games with today. Of course, it would not force them to choose, but it could be selected from a drop down list ofc from "recently played with" as to limit your choices not making the system abusable. To prevent further abuse, you can make it to where honor points cannot be given to same summoner in a 1-week period. But yeah, you can have a honor point cooldown system (kind of like reroll for ARAMs) with real rewards. You can also make it based on the number of games played if you want, as to allow players that play more to deal out more rewards to other players. You can even make it to where players can include a note with the generic honor point (if we can include notes in reports, rewards should be at least on equal terms as behavioral psych would teach us). Dolling out honor points should be rewarding in itself, but you can also give players a tiny 10 ip perhaps for just dolling them out. Sometimes small rewards are all that is necessary to make such a small time investment worth it. Positive social interactions should be encouraged among both opponents and teammates.

ii. This second option can be used in conjunction with option one. Make honor points potentially count towards actions they can perform as a summoner on this site or on the LCS site. This would be instead of purchasing runes or skins or champions etc. So here, you can actually kill two birds with one stone. You can do everything in option i. including rewarding the honor giver, but have each honor point unlock surveys summoners can complete for ip. These surveys would improve your data collection on various maps, items, champions, new patches, etc...and would help you make better decisions much more quickly in real time, and accurately. Given that only the summoners receiving honor points are completely the surveys, you can also somewhat ensure a higher quality sample that won't dick you around as much on the responses. Sometimes you want a sample to be skewed. In this case, it would be a great idea to skew the sample in favor of players that tend to perpetuate a positive environment for everyone. On the LCS site, you can perhaps make the honor points count for extra votes like for all-stars or whatnot...empowered votes. That's not a bad idea.

2. Have the punishments and rewards work hand-in-hand

What does this mean? Well this means that you should make the judges in the tribunal accountable. Not everyone is qualified to be a judge in the tribunal in my opinion, as they may often be undermining its very purpose by perpetuating certain negative behavior they consider acceptable, while selectively (biased) punishing behavior they hate, even if it is "on the edge". The guardians of our tribunal should be the best league has to offer. In this sense, it would be possible to create a threshold of, once again, honor points summoners need to achieve in a set time period to participate in the tribunal. If, for any reason, they drop below this threshold, they cannot participate. The tribunal should also be able to offer ip rewards like the surveys mentioned in 1-ii, and it would not be as abusable given that people need to be exceptional to be there in the first place. This would be a return to an ip reward system given that the tribunal judges are the creme de la creme. This would instill a greater sense of fairness for all, and a greater sense that the judges are actually capable of dispensing justice, as they know what good behavior looks like.

3. The Elo Jail

Instead of perma banning players (which will just cause them to create smurf accounts or buy smurf accounts) it may be better to create a sort of "elo jail" for all players that have exhibited extra bad behavior. Bad behavior should not be irredeemable in any case, and permabans, except for maybe the most extreme cases like DDoS attacks, are often a bit too much and will just cause a negative/toxic environment to ensue for new players just getting into the game when they have to face permabanned players on smurfs. This "elo jail" basically would consist of all "elo jailed" players and would allow them only to play with other "elo jailed" players. They could even play all the available queues. Of course...the time it would take to enter a game would be longer because they are jailed. There could also be a special ranking system that doesn't show up on any ladder for people that play ranked in the jail to ensure they have reason to play. However, if they, for a long period of specified time, prove that they can behave well in game, or accumulate "jail honor points", they can eventually get out of the jail and join the normal population again on that account. Recidivism, of course, would be allowed for people that revert to their toxic behavior. Of course, with such dedication, that would probably be unlikely, as people tend to actually make real changes even though ,at first, they may be "gaming the system" with their changes in behavior(psych principle here). This would help improve players with extra bad behavior, while retaining customers (for those that just quit the game if perma'd).

Let me know what you guys think about any of these proposed changes. Thanks

That flash

06-23-2014

This, my friend, is op!

Aleve

Master Recruiter

06-23-2014

Interesting.

I could see this working, but I think at first people will just see this as a joke. After some trial and error and people's feedback, I can foresee this being worthwhile and useful.

UniquelyPerfect

Recruiter

06-23-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleve View Post
Interesting.

I could see this working, but I think at first people will just see this as a joke. After some trial and error and people's feedback, I can foresee this being worthwhile and useful.
Well that's my thinking. Also it is probably tl;dr for may people unfortunately. But with the kind of careful thinking and fine-tuning I suggest (and perhaps others can add on to) I see these implementations as going a long way towards improving the state of our gaming community.

Magick Marksman

06-23-2014

Second idea I like. Third idea is so-so in my opinion, could work

But first idea I dislike. I think that honor, if it were valuable, would cause a lot of honor begging or honor trading. Infact, when honor was first released we already saw a great deal of honor begging and trading when it wasn't even valuable. You won't get genuine behavior rewarded, you'll get people who trade honor 2-3 times every 24 hours or people who beg for honor after every game (sometimes promising to give honor in return) rewarded.

UniquelyPerfect

Recruiter

06-23-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Marksman View Post
Second idea I like. Third idea is so-so in my opinion, could work

But first idea I dislike. I think that honor, if it were valuable, would cause a lot of honor begging or honor trading. Infact, when honor was first released we already saw a great deal of honor begging and trading when it wasn't even valuable. You won't get genuine behavior rewarded, you'll get people who trade honor 2-3 times every 24 hours or people who beg for honor after every game (sometimes promising to give honor in return) rewarded.
Thanks for the genuine feedback. I think, given this comment, maybe it would be best to disallow honor to be given to the same person you had just received honor from, and to strictly limit it to people you had played games with during that period within the same week timeframe it would be prohibited for multiple cases. Given that honor is so scarce under my proposed system, and doesn't really add up to large rewards very quickly, I think it is unlikely people will be spending so much effort to obtain honor artifically. Now there might be people that beg for it, but that likely won't make people want to actually give them their limited honor, especially if they cannot receive it from the same person. The first person to give the honor to another person would immunize themselves from receiving honor from the same person in a week's period (must play a game with them in the same 24 hour period). Giving honor would be almost just as rewarding as receiving it under my proposed system, so this shouldn't be a problem. If both receiving and giving honor offer similar benefits, there is no reason to trade as well given that the trade could only go one-way. People would naturally value either one from a person (giving or receiving, with the options being mutually exclusive). This approach would also maximize the spread of the goodwill, as it is not self-contained within mutually beneficial "trades"

MrPmR

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-24-2014

I think most of these are great ideas, and only one could help. I really enjoyed receiving honors, back in the days when you actually had the ribbon. Now I still get honors, but it doesn't mean anything..

Of course, those ideas would need to be implemented carefully, but I see some of these going through.

UniquelyPerfect

Recruiter

06-24-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPmR View Post
I think most of these are great ideas, and only one could help. I really enjoyed receiving honors, back in the days when you actually had the ribbon. Now I still get honors, but it doesn't mean anything..

Of course, those ideas would need to be implemented carefully, but I see some of these going through.
indeed, it is all about careful implementation, plugging up the abuse potential while maximizing the community-wide benefit. And yeah, now it is so bad that you cannot even get ribbons. But I think that's because the system is no longer novel, and people don't really have a reason to give honor. There is no benefit on the side giving it, not even an ability to include notes to make them feel special.

UniquelyPerfect

Recruiter

06-25-2014

Bump

Zephora

06-25-2014

I'm glad you posted this, it's a great idea. Two thumbs up.

1234511 ... 14