Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Champion Updates & Refund Requests

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SquidmoX

Player Support Manager

Follow RiotSupport on Twitter

06-03-2014

Hey all,

Over the past two years we've been ramping up our ability to steadily modernize champions' art, background and gameplay, to the point where champion updates have become an integral part of the overall evolution of League of Legends. When we first began making these updates we were mindful of the fact that we were altering content to which players might be very attached, and with that in mind we agreed to the handful of refund requests from the passionate players who owned updated champions and who sent a ticket to Player Support.

Back then we could do these individual gestures of goodwill because the number of refund requests was pretty low. Requests came largely from players who mained the champ. Once the policy was made public, there was a 10,000%+ spike in requests. We looked at the data and found that a very large majority of requests were from players who werenÂ’t actively invested in the champion pre-update, but were trying to get back RP or IP without using a refund token.

To give you an idea of the impact, every recent champion update has resulted in a storm of support tickets larger than what we typically see from a full day of major server instability. Combine this with the fact that we're on pace to double our annual number of champion updates (6 in 2013, already 7 in first half of 2014) and it begins to significantly impact Player Support's ability to handle critical issues like account recoveries and tech support.

As a result of these factors, we've decided that beginning with the Karthus champion update, we will stop processing refund requests for updated champions. It would be awesome to have a process that specifically targets those players significantly impacted by an update and doesn't interfere with Player Support's ability to quickly solve vital support issues, but we are far off from a good solution to this.

We know this may be disappointing for some players, particularly those actively playing and invested in updated champions. To help address this issue, the champion update team is working on increased transparency (http://community.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/c/champions-skins/txxQETbY-champion-updateupdate) when it comes to which champions they're working on. Additionally, the Player Support team has created a central hub (https://support.leagueoflegends.com/entries/40116190-Champion-Rework-Schedule) with info on past, present, and future champion updates. These efforts should both help you plan your purchases and use of refund tokens and give you better places to voice your feedback and help us fine-tune updates.

If you have any questions about this change, please leave them below and we'll do our best to address them.

Versedian

06-03-2014

I personally think the next update to Skarner is going to be a disappointment for me (It seemed the community much preferred the #1 option in the passive thread) while I leaned heavily towards #2.

However, I am understanding of the choice to no longer allow refunds, player support shouldn't be flooded and drowning out others who need actual support.

Sidenote: I am loving the quality of the visual updates, can't wait for Akali's noodle arms to be fixed. ^_^

Kingbiskit

06-03-2014

instead of not letting us refund ever, why not give out more refund tokens? 3 per account forever seems like a very little amount, perhaps refill them after the end of every season?

xDD

Recruiter

06-03-2014

Completely agree in this situation, sounds like the amount of tickets for something so silly is enormous.

Alumini

06-03-2014

Good decision, hated the whiners on forums.

Pal2002

06-03-2014

Clearly this goodwill policy is being exploited by many as a "free refund." Good choice by support.

Hollow Vamp

06-03-2014

just cleanslate the refund system, give everyone the 3 refunds back, no more refunds through tickets, put in the refund system info the chance of reworks/relaunches so even new players wont waste their points (I wont lie i used 2 of mine on ip champs on my original account when I was new) Every one would be happier.

ShadySandwichGuy

06-03-2014

This policy is actually something I am slightly(only slightly) upset about due to the kha update. On the other hand though, I have known people that abuse the previous refund policy and constantly refund champs to get new ones and just keep rotating out. <<< not cool
This change will make people really think about what they are buying and forces them to really stick with the champ. I loved wrecking people with Kha, and even though I have one refund token left I think I will stick with him just to see where he goes and to learn a new playstyle, I am counting on you Rito, show me what it means to be a squishy assassin champ!!!

LouisLeGros

06-03-2014

I know I ended up pretty much writing an essay of feedback in my support ticket to get Skarner refunded.

Epichuntarz

06-03-2014

If this is the case, Riot really ought to either:

1) give players refund token annually. I can be 1-2, but it needs to be SOMETHING.

2) allow players to buy refund tokens for IP. I'm sitting on 50k+ IP. Many people have much more than that. The only thing I buy with IP is new champs when they come out.

Let me convert 50K/100K IP for a refund token.