Help me understand IP.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hardkore

01-12-2010

First of all i must say i am new to the game, and i actually never played dota.

A friend of mine has been playing this for a while and i have decided to give it a shot a couple of days ago. I'm hooked, i have been playing way too much for my own good.

However i don't understan how ip works, i thought it was in direct relation with how you do in matches as far as kills and assists go.

But yesterday a had a bunch of horrible matches when testing out champions i had never played before, in one of them i went 5-12-5 and i got 260 ip from that game.

Today i played a couple of matches and i did good it went like this:

First one i ended up with7-2-4 and i got 106 xp and 102 ip.

Second one i ended up with 9-3-6 and i got 85 xp and 82 ip.

Is it me or this doesn't make sense at all? Am i missing something?

Thanks in advance.

gzboli

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-12-2010

A win gives you around 90 (?) ip. You can build up a consecutive no-leave bonus which rises to somewhere around 23. A bonus for winning quickly or losing after a long time. Additionally there is a First Win of the Day Bonus which doubles your ip. Practice games give reduced ip.

You can mouse over the ip values in the game recap screen to see how the IP adds up.

railspider

01-12-2010

The xp/ip does seem to randomly change ever so slightly over the course of the day. I have no explanation.

meorah

01-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by railspider View Post
The xp/ip does seem to randomly change ever so slightly over the course of the day. I have no explanation.
I believe you get a small bit extra IP if MM thought you had under 50% chance and you win, and a small bit less IP if MM thought you had over 50% chance and you win.

Vice versa for losses.

Obviously bonuses are not listed as bonuses on game stats screen, but its a best guess.

Douglas Fork

01-12-2010

So IP has nothing to do with performance?

I hear all the time players saying: "OMG I own, won XXX IP with my 12/0"

threelite

01-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Fork View Post
So IP has nothing to do with performance?

I hear all the time players saying: "OMG I own, won XXX IP with my 12/0"
The only factor your performance has on your IP is if you won the game or not.

lmhluu

01-12-2010

Game performance or stats doesn't count or make a big diff into IP because it's not really fair...

It's not fair because if you win and have a tank with a score of 0/10/9.. and a carry with a score of 10/1/5, the carry should get more ip since he did "better", not that's not necessarily true. The tank probably played a big part in the game and shouldn't be penalized just because his stats were worst... who'd want to play a tank then if carries are awarded more.

So yeah, it's based on if you win/lose, how long game last, if you leave or not, etc., not game stats.
If you have a score of 19/1, and the rest of your team is 0/50... and you lose, you'll still get the same IP as the rest of your teammates. which is around 60-70 probably.

ShardOfDarkness

01-12-2010

Not 100% but I think how you perform has a slight (~5 points blither way) effect on your IP earnings. Games where I did well seem to give a little more than games where I did poorly all else being equal (ie game length and outcome)