How to counter Morde in mid?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Volgaria

03-17-2011

So i was playing Karthus and laned mid. I got stuck against Morde in the middle. How do I go about harassing / not dieing? I stayed away from my minions so he didn't hit me with that ability, but I couldn't harass him considering he kept his shield up 100% of the time. Couldn't get through it. Called for a gank to mid and he ended up killing Warwick then tower diving through 2 turrets and killed me (he was in my AoE most of the time also).
Not a QQ just wondering how i can counter or lane against Morde better.

Godly Zeus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

03-17-2011

Roll Morde. You can't counter a man of metal nothing productive in this message. Sorry for my lack of knowledge

Kuryaka

03-17-2011

I once was Morde when he was free. I faced Karthus mid. I felt that he was weak earlygame, but Karthus really scales up quickly.

Tower hugging works if the guy is not smart, he can't farm minions at your tower if you stand near them, you'll get hit and tower will eat Mordekaiser.

Just keep poking him whenever his shield's down, there's very little hope of killing him 1v1 because of the regen shield, but in a teamfight he has little HP and no real damage reduction besides his shield. Unless he build tank, which cuts his damage down to nothing.

godbuu

03-17-2011

The number one rule for beating Morde in a lane, and really any strong harasser, is punch them in the face. Constantly. Every time he comes near you, hit him with everything you have. Chase his ass down and keep attacking him.

Keep in mind that his abilities do actually cost a significant amount of life at low levels and he only gets shields if he can use his aoe to hit a large number of your minions. If you force him to aoe your hero, he's going to get roughly 10 shields, which you can dps through in no time. I think the number one mistake people make when laning vs heroes like that, and mordekasier definitely exploits this, is not playing aggressively enough.

If you let morde run up, hit your entire creep wave, walk away, get his cooldowns back while his shield is still up, you'll get screwed. If you hit him twice when he runs up to aoe then hit him as he runs away, he'll have zero shields the next time he runs in. Rinse and repeat.

As an example I was playing ashe vs morde in a top lane earlier and I literally stopped morde from autoattacking a minion for about 6 minutes. I'm pretty sure karthus's early game is stronger than ashe's.

Derelict Bane

03-17-2011

I remember a proud day playing Tryndamere against a Mordekaiser
Kicked his ass mid and late game (it was actually a problem late game, he wouldn't hit without enemy minions present and when there was he'd go berserk)

Did it stop me? a little bit (until I was cutting him to shreds with insane AS/Crit)

Dephloc

03-17-2011

Poke him with q, over and over and over and over again, hopefully you'll be able to slowly wear him down and call for a gank and finish with r when he somehow manages to get away.

omgwtflolbbl

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-17-2011

Realize that Mordekaiser is a lot more fragile than he'd like people to know early game. Seriously. His shield generation may seem intimidating early on, but in all honestly he'll be hard pressed to negate more than two autoattacks worth with his shield. When it comes to playing AD carries, realize that you can't just trade a hit. You have to actually go after the guy. If you can't rely on your jungler, then early on actively push the lane. Mordekaiser cannot push all that quickly early on with his weak spells. Try to get a creep advantage, stay off to the side so he has to choose between you and your creeps (if he only hits you, he'll recover a negligible amount of shield), and just follow up with your harass. Once he uses Siphon of Destruction, his only reliable ranged move aside from his ultimate, he can't do anything further to you other than walk up into melee range with absolute no CC or gap closer. That's important. Just like with laning against Garen, once he uses Judgement, he's relatively worthless for the next 10 seconds. Poke him to your hearts content.

With someone like Karthus, who can easily poke without drawing aggro, it's even easier.

Don't be intimidated by Mordekaiser when you're 1v1. Alternatively, you can just ignore him and nonstop push/farm. Eventually his pushing ability becomes very high, and at that point you'll just want to push nonstop yourself to stop your tower from getting poked to death (again, assuming you aren't getting help from a jungler).

If you don't have to worry about getting ganked by a jungler yourself and you have a strong push hero as well, just simply outpush him. Someone like teleport Sivir can do it. Mordekaiser's spells are quite costly after constant spam, take advantage of it early on before he buys enough regen to cover himself.

I haven't seen a Mordekaiser (succeed) in ages, but I remember picking them apart all the time without any problems using champions like Tristana.

Prometheius

03-17-2011

Why the hell would you even bother harassing the enemy mid when he's pushing so hard that you have free and almost effectively 100% safety under your tower?

Laning's NOT about getting freaking kills. Farming is priority number one. You should be THANKING the Morde for pushing so hard so you can farm easily.

omgwtflolbbl

03-17-2011

He asked specifically how to counter harass, when his jungler isn't able to properly gank. The way he talks about it, he can't even hold his tower. At that point, he need to put at least a little bit of return pressure in order to stop his tower from going down. Minion growth isn't as strong as in the Jarvan patch but minion poking early game still means a lot more than it used to.

Volgaria

03-18-2011

I couldn't get through his shield at all is the problem. I was at my tower the whole time hoping our jungler would be able to help. Morde eventually just tower dove and killed me, through my aoe and my lay waste. It seems like a lost cause trying to lane against him, as Karthus atleast IMO. I haven't been playing Karthus too long, but he is probably the hardest I have had to go against so far. It sucks having him just turret dive me at about 3/4 of my health and survive my aoe / nuke under the turret and get away.