How to have a >70% win ratio and other goodies

12345612 ... 13
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Bianary

01-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Scro View Post
hahrhahr....then what are you upset about?
Wasted time.

Captain Scro

01-11-2010

^ya know, that is actually a decent reason(sincere). When my q time reaches an amount that I feel would suck to get dropped out of then I will quit using this method. While my q time averages around 25 seconds tho I feel this is the best way for ME to enjoy the game. A bit selfish but I still consider others to a degree.

coel

01-11-2010

@ vichar
I know. Talking strategy is by no means part of what I intended to say. Neither is a simple "hello" or a "glhf". I made it an extreme example because those are the people you might want to avoid and you WILL see them in the queue

@bianary
Sirlin talked mostly about streetfighter. Take from the article what you will. I took "play to win" and use any legal tool possible to achieve victory to do so. Since Riot hasn't implemented one yet. The community did it by themselves. In the end

"Given that there's no controls on who enters or really who you can be matched against"
Its called queue dodging

"LoL matchmaking queue != competitive play"
As of now there is NOTHING for the competitive gamer. However, the community is still there. And since competitive players play to win, they invented queue dodging to fix a surely temporary shorsight by Riot.
ON INSTA PICKING: Yes I understand sometimes that it may be your main or maybe you haven't bought any other heroes yet. But remaining unchanging with a bad lineup is not the way this should be handled. At least tell the rest of the team that you do not have the runes/heroes to play a particular role. Sometimes thats just the luck of the matchmaking system and you will get 5 people that do NOT have the heroes and runes to create a balanced lineup. I know that I don't have infinite IP, so I don't expect everyone to have what I don't. So do you play the 5 man 0 cc lineup or queue dodge. It is entirely your choice.

k0b3 CleoFairy

01-11-2010

Hey I have a 4 in the middle of my name, does that make me bad?

Captain Scro

01-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP4ME View Post
Hey I have a 4 in the middle of my name, does that make me bad?
no ur name is ownage4real

Bianary

01-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by coel View Post
@bianary
Sirlin talked mostly about streetfighter. Take from the article what you will. I took "play to win" and use any legal tool possible to achieve victory to do so. Since Riot hasn't implemented one yet. The community did it by themselves. In the end.
You and most people who misquote Sirlin simply yank out that one line of his article and try to apply it as justification to do whatever you want in a game, whenever you want to do it. But let me grab his last point and his conclusion for you, because it summarizes what he's getting at much better:
Quote:
Not everyone has to know every subject. This chart is for biologists and Playing to Win is for those who want to win tournaments.
See, Sirlin points out that this philosophy is specifically for those who intend to play (and win) competitively. It's how to break out of the mindset that everyone has to follow the rules that you think will make the game fair, and then beat them in competition. LoL's matchmaking is most certainly not this kind of environment.

And then his conclusion:
Quote:
In the end, playing to win ends up accomplishing much more than just winning. Playing to win is how one improves. Continuous self-improvement is what all of this is really about, anyway. I submit that ultimate goal of the "playing to win" mindset is ironically not just to win...but to improve. So practice, improve, play with discipline, and Play to Win.
This doesn't even indicate you need to win every game -- it's about your mindset while actually playing. You could be on the worst team ever and still work to improve your own abilities, and thus be playing to win -- even though you knew from the start of that match you were going to lose!

"Playing to win" is not in any way justification to queue dodge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coel View Post
"Given that there's no controls on who enters or really who you can be matched against"
Its called queue dodging.
Giving yourself a higher % of wins is certainly not improving LoL's competitiveness. You're basically admitting you're trying to reduce the challenge.

miltow

01-11-2010

Is there a DargonNight that should be in our ignore list?

coel

01-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bianary View Post
You and most people who misquote Sirlin simply yank out that one line of his article and try to apply it as justification to do whatever you want in a game, whenever you want to do it. But let me grab his last point and his conclusion for you, because it summarizes what he's getting at much better:

See, Sirlin points out that this philosophy is specifically for those who intend to play (and win) competitively. It's how to break out of the mindset that everyone has to follow the rules that you think will make the game fair, and then beat them in competition. LoL's matchmaking is most certainly not this kind of environment.

And then his conclusion:

This doesn't even indicate you need to win every game -- it's about your mindset while actually playing. You could be on the worst team ever and still work to improve your own abilities, and thus be playing to win -- even though you knew from the start of that match you were going to lose!

"Playing to win" is not in any way justification to queue dodge.

Giving yourself a higher % of wins is certainly not improving LoL's competitiveness. You're basically admitting you're trying to reduce the challenge.
I am pretty sure that my title hints at the community this article was aimed for, i.e. competitive gamers. Perhaps it was aimed as a little insight for those on the other side of the fence, but you seem extremely close minded about it. more than anything I want to have GOOD games. that doesn't mean I win every single one. what do you think 70% win loss ratio means? However I will play to win most the time and Sirlin would not agree with starting a game off at an extreme disadvantage only because someone on your team is a "scrub". You need to think how you have made up this rule in your mind that queue dodging is this horrible monster that shouldn't be in the game. Those are your own homemade rules. I play by different ones that just so happen win on a more consistent basis than yours. Sirlin would be proud.

You should read Sirlin's article on "NOT PLAYING TO WIN". In that article he discusses why you SHOULD play with the "strange" lineups. and from time to time I will give things a chance. I don't queue dodge 100% of the time.

"Giving yourself a higher % of wins is certainly not improving LoL's competitiveness. You're basically admitting you're trying to reduce the challenge"
Yes it does because it raises your elo which puts you into a more competitive bracket with higher skilled players who you can actually learn from. So i guess I am actually trying to help everyone who wants to be competitive get to that level as soon as possible. YOU DO NOT GAIN MUCH OF ANYTHING FROM PLAYING WITH BADDIES ALL DAY LONG EVERY DAY. Unless you play for fun and that is fun for you.

Beegly Boogs

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Scro View Post
If mm wasnt broken, we wouldnt have to fix it...
I'm not sure how the MM is broken because it puts you with people who talk too much, have numbers in their name, or who instantly pick their champion. Care to explain?

coel

01-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by miltow View Post
Is there a DargonNight that should be in our ignore list?
No I took DargonNight from a short movie created about leavers in Dota.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKXCf2dAEEU

It is really well done i recommend it.

12345612 ... 13