Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Mini KB: Chat Restrictions

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ulanopo

Recruiter

05-19-2014

"What are they doing about non-chat related toxicity? Are those people going unpunished?

Your reports are being handled by the Player Support team. You should feel happy about this, as Riot has always said that they would be much more strict than the community. We are already seeing reports of escalated punishments.

Ulanopo

Recruiter

05-19-2014

"Why can't I get a Reform Card or an email so I can see why I was placed on restriction?"

Reform cards weren't built into the chat restriction system.

From WookieeCookie, (link (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?p=47153866#post47153866))

I personally love the reform card system and wish it could be applied to chat restrictions, but we won't have it available until the tribunal is re-launched.
Some of the restriction assignment "experiments" do not send out an email: (link (http://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflegends/comments/261xn2/actually_i_like_the_new_chat_punishments_for_4060/chnd1bg))
There are currently a few experiments that send restricted chat games immediately, and do not send the e-mail/reform cards.

We'll be bringing the e-mail/reform cards back at a later time.

Ulanopo

Recruiter

05-19-2014

"I don't like being used as part of an experiment."

While I agree that the use of the word "experiment" was unfortunate, it seems that many people are misunderstanding its use in this context. Lyte was saying that they were going to experiment with whether or not real-time chat restrictions are effective, not that they were going to deploy an experimental detection system or "experiment" on the player base. Lyte has always been quite clear that he does not want systems that hurt the player unnecessarily.

It seems likely that the return of the Tribunal will see a tiered response where the detection system and the improved LeaverBuster handle routine punishments, while the Tribunal processes the severe cases.

Zachrin

05-22-2014

Hey there Ulanopo!

Not sure if you monitor GD, but just got a pretty interesting stat from Lyte about the accuracy of the system, and how many punishments they're overturned:

Quote:
Lyte:
Happy to discuss the accuracy because after reviewing a large sampling of the initial chat restrictions, the accuracy is greater than 99.9%--meaning, we didn't need to overturn or remove any chat restrictions.

Ulanopo

Recruiter

05-22-2014

"It feels like the system only looks at the number of reports. I bet there are a lot of bans that weren't deserved."

Repeating the WookieeCookie link (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?p=47153866#post47153866):

The chat restrictions are not based off of the last game you played but rather an investigation of a series of games you've been reported in. Just a few of the things we look at: frequency of games played, frequency of reports received, # of unique players reporting you, types of reports received and so on.
Update from Lyte: (link (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?p=47278587#post47278587))

Happy to discuss the accuracy because after reviewing a large sampling of the initial chat restrictions, the accuracy is greater than 99.9%--meaning, we didn't need to overturn or remove any chat restrictions.

(Quote found by Zachrin)

Aylywyn

05-22-2014

Just posted,

What if a player is only toxic in pre-Game?

Quote:
Lyte:
3) Yes, Champion Select chat is monitored and there's definitely a correlation between level of communication in Champ Select and in-game performance of a team.

AlienzOnEarth

05-22-2014

k so every other game theres usually someone whos playing really badly and it doesn't seem to be a lag issue, and when criticized or given advice to they often become hostile and are sometimes even playing with friends in a higher lvl game, they don't listen and what ends up happening is, they all end up saying "report alienzonearth" and it can sometimes be a full group of friends teaming up on you, sure sometimes I get actually angry at some players but its because its not just a quick game I can join in and out I generally become commited to a game after working toward an item tree etc and generally don't enjoy PISSING AWAY every other game at 45 minutes each because we had some pretty bad moments that would have been avoided if a player just took a quick second to communicate instead of become hostile and ignore any advice.... k so... im just wondering should I ignore most of what these people say because an in depth look may be taken and perhaps action taken toward the players teaming up on a single player or will it just be put aside completely, im curious as to what happens to players who abuse reports I guess...

LittleDi

05-22-2014

Quote:
AlienzOnEarth:
im curious as to what happens to players who abuse reports I guess...

Here ya go:

http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2504838

powerbats

05-22-2014

Lyte just posted this.

Quote:
Lyte:
I think you're suggesting that if we were confident with our systems, we'd just ban players instead?

We actually use restricted chat bans because they are more effective than game bans. We find that game bans nudge a lot of players to create smurf accounts and simply shift their negative behaviors to low levels and overall, that's a worst experience for the community.

During restricted chat design testing, we tested several variants to ensure that the typical player had enough chat resources to communicate effectively with their team. The current setup (with smart pings) is decent for team communication for most players, although we acknowledge that junglers have a bit more difficulty in the current setup.

What's interesting to note is that many restricted chat players are actually winning more games than they were before being in restricted chat; so, I'm not as convinced as you are that the mode is hurting the rest of the team as much as you might believe.

Thread is interesting: I can edit this into another thread if needed.

Ulanopo

Recruiter

05-23-2014

"This system is stupid. They should just be banning people."

From Lyte: (link (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?p=47284445#post47284445))

We actually use restricted chat bans because they are more effective than game bans. We find that game bans nudge a lot of players to create smurf accounts and simply shift their negative behaviors to low levels and overall, that's a worst experience for the community.